2021 Spring Notes - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Mavric

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

The one thing I caught in one of the clips is that they still tend to end up with receivers being very close to each other at the end of their routes.  It's been happening for the last couple of years.  It doesn't make sense to me as it leads to turnovers and one defender can literally guard two men.  I'll assume its on the players making the wrong reads on the fly.

Receivers running the wrong routes has been a problem.  It leads to what you describe with the defense, but also if the QB can't count on the WR being where they are supposed to be, it leads to hesitant play and break downs in plays.

• Plus1 1

There would be a big net gain heading into this season if Robinson hadn't left.

I can see the glass as half full by bringing in Toure. But I'm still not exactly seeing a WR room that has the right combination of talent and experience that leaves me believing we'll be all that much better when it counts down the stretch in B1G play at the position.

18 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

I really want to drink the KoolAid. We seem to have more of the pieces this year. Could be the year we've been waiting for. Then I remember the last several years and it tempers expectations. 

I'm currently at Gatorade Zero Sugar.  Thought about buying some KoolAid at the store today though...Might have to go Capri Sun first before KoolAid.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  I just think that they have been recruiting good talent to the WR position.  For some reason, the last couple years hasn't seen it on the field.  Be it a group of young kids, injuries (Manning)...etc.  Who knows.  But, I have to believe that when they have recruited the way they have, someone of them have to be able to step up and shine.

I think we haven't really seen it on the field because, for the most part, it simply hasn't been there.  Spielman was a solid player but not a game-changer.  Robinson is a very good player but isn't fast enough to make the big plays.  Andre Hunt was going to be a major contributor before he got himself kicked off the team.  Manning was supposed to provide a lift last year but couldn't put it together.  And the other guys were really young/new last year and didn't have the usual off-season to get up to speed.  Martin wasn't eligible until mid-season.  The media guys thought Betts was probably headed for a redshirt because it would take him awhile to adjust to the mental aspects of the game.  Brown showed he could contribute but was still getting up to speed.

So we recruited the WR spot pretty poorly for five straight years.  Recruiting has definitely picked up the last two and we will (hopefully) see a significant improvement this year.

• Plus1 4

27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think we haven't really seen it on the field because, for the most part, it simply hasn't been there.  Spielman was a solid player but not a game-changer.  Robinson is a very good player but isn't fast enough to make the big plays.  Andre Hunt was going to be a major contributor before he got himself kicked off the team.  Manning was supposed to provide a lift last year but couldn't put it together.  And the other guys were really young/new last year and didn't have the usual off-season to get up to speed.  Martin wasn't eligible until mid-season.  The media guys thought Betts was probably headed for a redshirt because it would take him awhile to adjust to the mental aspects of the game.  Brown showed he could contribute but was still getting up to speed.

So we recruited the WR spot pretty poorly for five straight years.  Recruiting has definitely picked up the last two and we will (hopefully) see a significant improvement this year.

That's basically my thoughts.  Spielman and Robinson are good solid players, but they needed to have anther really good WR playing with them.  Similar to when Spielman when he played with Stanley Morgan.  Then, we have a lot of potentially really good guys that either got kicked off the team or have been really young.

Whatever the issues.  It's time for some of these guys to step up and be major contributors. 

This group almost feels like the basketball team.  We bring in a bunch of guys that are supposedly really good shooters, but when they get here they can't shoot for some reason.  Eventually, the odds have to be in your favor for someone to be able to do it.

34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's basically my thoughts.  Spielman and Robinson are good solid players, but they needed to have anther really good WR playing with them.  Similar to when Spielman when he played with Stanley Morgan.  Then, we have a lot of potentially really good guys that either got kicked off the team or have been really young.

Whatever the issues.  It's time for some of these guys to step up and be major contributors. 

This group almost feels like the basketball team.  We bring in a bunch of guys that are supposedly really good shooters, but when they get here they can't shoot for some reason.  Eventually, the odds have to be in your favor for someone to be able to do it.

Makes me wonder if peter north has any eligibility left

On 4/13/2021 at 11:09 AM, Undone said:

There would be a big net gain heading into this season if Robinson hadn't left.

I can see the glass as half full by bringing in Toure. But I'm still not exactly seeing a WR room that has the right combination of talent and experience that leaves me believing we'll be all that much better when it counts down the stretch in B1G play at the position.

agree, way short on experience, going to have to learn as they go