2021 Spring Notes - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Mavric

39 minutes ago, SECHusker said:
No clue who he is but looks decent.

Played QB (and basketball) at Pius X in Lincoln.  Wanted to play QB in college but wanted to play for the Huskers more so took walk-on offer as a WR over D-II QB offers.  Also a state medalist in the 110 hurdles.  Very good athlete who (obviously) hasn't played much receiver.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Also makes me wonder if Omar has struggled with mental health issues or depression in the past, and finally being at a school like NU gives him the support he may have needed his entire life. 

That would be absolutely wonderful. 

Rhetorical question: How do we make that available to the rest of our society and every other kid who needs it too?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Also makes me wonder if Omar has struggled with mental health issues or depression in the past, and finally being at a school like NU gives him the support he may have needed his entire life. 

I think it's pretty safe to answer the former with a yes. It would be nice to say it's all in the past, but honestly it's probably going to be an ongoing process for him - just the way these things are.

• Plus1 3
46 minutes ago, runningblind said:

That would be absolutely wonderful. 

Rhetorical question: How do we make that available to the rest of our society and every other kid who needs it too?

Unfortunately, mental health issues are far too often ignored and derided by a good portion of our society.  I count myself lucky that I haven’t had any close encounters with unstable mental health, although my mother spent a good portion of her life depressed and self-medicated with alcohol. Of course, she was of the age where getting help for depression and other mental health issues was not accepted. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Unfortunately, mental health issues are far too often ignored and derided by a good portion of our society.  I count myself lucky that I haven’t had any close encounters with unstable mental health, although my mother spent a good portion of her life depressed and self-medicated with alcohol. Of course, she was of the age where getting help for depression and other mental health issues was not accepted. 

Those issues definitely are stigmatized.  I always wonder how many troubled people who wind up in jail or committing violent acts could have beeen functioning members of society if someone would have been available to support them with their issues. And not have people look down on them when those same judgemental people have issues of their own they ignore.

Back on topic, I really hope Omar thrives in this environment and it sets him up for a life of success.  Maybe he even grows into an ambassador to help the next generation see it's ok to ask for help.

• Plus1 2