2021 Spring Notes - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Mavric

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Well, at least that ends the speculation:

Had heard the rumors from last year(I'm sure we all did).  Great that NU stood by him.  Hate that there is still (at times) a stigma with mental health and/or those who seek help.  Testament to the staff and to Manning.Kudos to him for tweeting that out.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, lo country said:

Had heard the rumors from last year(I'm sure we all did).  Great that NU stood by him.  Hate that there is still (at times) a stigma with mental health and/or those who seek help.  Testament to the staff and to Manning.Kudos to him for tweeting that out.

Yes sir it takes a lot of self courage to come forward with that. Plus it’ll make it easier for him to deal with it going forward. Sometimes all it takes is realizing you need help and being willing to receive it can make all the difference. 

• Plus1 1

Well, it’s going to be interesting to see who has the most production and success this year between Toure, Manning and Betts. These three have a lot of talent and size. I know we really haven’t seen any of it on the field yet, but I don’t ever remember a group of three WRs like them ever at Nebraska.  It would be awesome if we had at least two of these guys step up and really stress defenses this year. 

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, it’s going to be interesting to see who has the most production and success this year between Toure, Manning and Betts. These three have a lot of talent and size. I know we really haven’t seen any of it on the field yet, but I don’t ever remember a group of three WRs like them ever at Nebraska.  It would be awesome if we had at least two of these guys step up and really stress defenses this year. 

Add in Martin - who I think is in for a big season with a lot of catches. Wouldn't be surprised to see Toure lead in yards but Martin in catches. 

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think Toure will have the most production in terms of steady number of receptions and yards per game, but Manning, Betts, and Martin will have the opportunities for bigger, "WOW" plays.  I think the steadiness of Toure will create opportunities for the other 3 and vice versa.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Betts & Manning have work to do in regards to the offense but they have the talent to be game changing players. More talented than Stanley Morgan. Perhaps more akin to someone like Quincy Enunwa. 

Toure and Martin are dependable. Good talent. Falck is a better version of Kade. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Toure will have the most production in terms of steady number of receptions and yards per game, but Manning, Betts, and Martin will have the opportunities for bigger, "WOW" plays.  I think the steadiness of Toure will create opportunities for the other 3 and vice versa.

It will be interesting to see the groupings. Will we see multiple players from this group on the field at the same time much of the game?  Or, will all of them be at the slot so they will be battling each other to get on the field?

Then you look at players like Nixon and Brown and know they will be in the mix too.  

I just hope they all learn the offense really really well so they are running the right routes.  

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, I'm pretty much thinking Toure will look like a better version of Spielman in the slot. In theory, anyway.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It will be interesting to see the groupings. Will we see multiple players from this group on the field at the same time much of the game?  Or, will all of them be at the slot so they will be battling each other to get on the field?

Then you look at players like Nixon and Brown and know they will be in the mix too.  

I just hope they all learn the offense really really well so they are running the right routes.  

I can’t remember the lettering of the receivers, but Toure is going to be in the slot most of the time, with Manning and Betts being out wide. Nixon and Brown will be mixed in at Duck R and will be all over the field. Plus, Frost might go 2 tight ends at times, with one of them in the slot or split out wide. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I can’t remember the lettering of the receivers, but Toure is going to be in the slot most of the time, with Manning and Betts being out wide. Nixon and Brown will be mixed in at Duck R and will be all over the field. Plus, Frost might go 2 tight ends at times, with one of them in the slot or split out wide. 

So, we could see situations with three of these WR on the field with say Nixon in the backfield at Duck R.  

I like that.  

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, we could see situations with three of these WR on the field with say Nixon in the backfield at Duck R.  

I like that.  

Still need that online  to get a push and who ever is at quarterback to actually make the throw,  Adrian's last  2 seasons don't give much hope 

14 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

Still need that online  to get a push and who ever is at quarterback to actually make the throw,  Adrian's last  2 seasons don't give much hope 

Having a good WR group that stretches the field helps the Oline. It also helps 2AM.  I’m not overly concerned with him if he stays healthy.  

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

Vertical threats in the WR corps make the entire offense look better, including the o-line, RB's and QB.  It's a matter of creating more space vertically, which takes defenders further away from the LOS, and creates more space horizontally.  Plus, it's a lot easier for the QB to throw a deep ball to a big, fast, athletic WR/TE than a tiny WR (like Wandale) or a slow, unathletic WR (like the ones who started against Ohio State last year).

• Plus1 2

Refusing to drink the kool-aid.  Must.  Resist.  BUT DAMN we have some real potential to have some great receiver play and TE play.  The likes I do not remember.  I'm a "run the damn ball guy, but we truly might have a passing offense that could give teams nightmares.  Like everything  it starts up front, but receivers and TE's can help a lot. Run off a LB, DB stay and block etc....  First time in years (I hope) that teams can't/won't be able to crowd the box.  I also like what Lubick said about creating mismatches against the D with our personnel instead of "scheme".

• Plus1 3