2021 Spring Notes - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Mavric

Betts looks pretty fast and quick in his movements, Martin just looks like one of those solid possession rec, Manning "looks" like a stud.  If they all stay healthy losing Wandale might be addition by subtraction.  There won't be one guy they are force feeding the ball too.  I hope to god we hit the TE on the seam this year.  Always seems to me they do in the first game and then the rest of the season they are running up field waving their hands in the air and the ball goes underneath somewhere.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Betts looks pretty fast and quick in his movements, Martin just looks like one of those solid possession rec, Manning "looks" like a stud.  If they all stay healthy losing Wandale might be addition by subtraction.  There won't be one guy they are force feeding the ball too.  I hope to god we hit the TE on the seam this year.  Always seems to me they do in the first game and then the rest of the season they are running up field waving their hands in the air and the ball goes underneath somewhere.

The WRs will be better as a whole this year, it's just frustrating because we'd potentially be even better with Wan'Dale also in the mix. I don't know how much of forcing him the ball was because no one else was doing anything and how much was trying to keep him happy - but if there was no pressure to force him the ball we'd have a better group with him.

That being said, it is what it is and I like the options as a whole a lot more this year. I think you're selling Martin a little short, he might be the fastest of the 3 you mentioned. Throw in Toure and a couple solid or high-upside options like Falck, Brown, and Nixon and I like what's there. Wish we had more with legitimate FBS experience, but after this year we will. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Great that these guys have hit the weights, worked on their agility drills and practiced their routes at half-speed.  Again, the real test of progress will come this Fall.  Can these receivers clear press coverage and actually get open?  Can they hold on to passes?  Can our offensive line pass protect (without holding)?  I get the excitement over Spring drills, but I remain very skeptical until I see progress in a game setting.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Can the QB get past his first or second read and find the open receivers this year?  That will be the biggest question.  If so, this offense is gonna rock. 

At this point, I have to believe the O line is going to be better.  How much better is the key.  

Honestly, I can't think of a position group on the offense that shouldn't be better.  Again, how much is the key.

And, as always, injuries to certain groups is going to play a key part in all of this.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

By all accounts Martin isn't just a possession receiver, he timed out a 4.5 40yd and was listed as one of the fastest WR's by CTB. Reports are that he is making plays down the field. Falck is more of the taller possession receiver. 

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

At this point, I have to believe the O line is going to be better.  How much better is the key.  

Honestly, I can't think of a position group on the offense that shouldn't be better.  Again, how much is the key.

And, as always, injuries to certain groups is going to play a key part in all of this.

The offense was close at times to being respectable last year.  Turnovers and untimely penalties were always a killer.  If each position groups takes a step forward in talent and playing ability combined with a less turnover prone team, that’s how they see a big jump in improvement.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, caveman99 said:

By all accounts Martin isn't just a possession receiver, he timed out a 4.5 40yd and was listed as one of the fastest WR's by CTB. Reports are that he is making plays down the field. Falck is more of the taller possession receiver. 

Is there something in the rule book that says a possession rec has to be slow?  I just meant he seems to be the most reliable and would probably be the go to on 3rd and med stuff.  Maybe I don't remember but I thought he caught most of his pass underneath or in the 10-15 range last year.  Don't know if they are going to start using him to take the top off the defense.  If he can do it I'm all for it.  I just hope someone has a break out year

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Is there something in the rule book that says a possession rec has to be slow?  I just meant he seems to be the most reliable and would probably be the go to on 3rd and med stuff.  Maybe I don't remember but I thought he caught most of his pass underneath or in the 10-15 range last year.  Don't know if they are going to start using him to take the top off the defense.  If he can do it I'm all for it.  I just hope someone has a break out year

I guess not, but in the same way nothing says a "game manager" can't have a rocket arm or a "coach on the field" can't have decent athletic ability. They could have those traits, but probably don't if that's how they're being described. I wouldn't use last year as a great indicator for how the receivers will be used this year, especially with Martin since he had a weird eligibility timeline.

In any case, totally with you on the last point - somebody needs to break out and I don't care who or how.

19 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Ha...as you know the language they use is heavily masked/coded.

s#!t, sports writers and broadcasters mask their language more than a college guy does when he texts a girl at 2am asking "u up?"  instead of texting "Looking to get some stanky on my hang-down, u up?"

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow....

IIRC, Stanley committed under Pelini, but Riley had to keep him onboard with his commitment after Pelini was fired.  So technically one could argue Stanley was a Riley recruit.  With all of Stanley’s starts, that would have made a big difference in this stat.  

• Fire 1