2021 Spring Notes - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Mavric

29 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

IIRC, Stanley committed under Pelini, but Riley had to keep him onboard with his commitment after Pelini was fired.  So technically one could argue Stanley was a Riley recruit.  With all of Stanley’s starts, that would have made a big difference in this stat.  

Riley was able to keep him but he is no way a Riley recruit.  In my opinion, this is highlighting Riley's lack of ability to go identify wide receiver talent and then get them to commit.  I do think one could argue he didn't have a huge need immediately because Bo left him with several solid receivers.  I also think many of Riley's guys would have had more starts if we didn't change staff. 

In fairness to all, this is just one example showing how much Scott has flipped the roster.   

• Plus1 3

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow....

Thanks for posting that.  I had seen it earlier but hadn't gotten it here yet.

People can be tired of blaming Riley all they want.  The fact is the offensive guys he recruited have almost all been busts.

Using the above names, here's how much Riley's WR recruits have contributed by year:

2015 - 0 receptions

2016 - 0 receptions

2017 - 68 rec, 925 yards, 2 TDs

2018 - 87 rec, 956 yards, 8 TDs

2019 - 59 rec, 990 yards, 5 TDs

2020 - 5 rec, 40 yards

So Riley got by for two years relying exclusively on Pelini recruits.  Then there were three years that all of Riley's recruits combined to be the equivalent of one good receiver.  And, for all intents and purposes, that's all there was.  It's pretty tough to try to run an offense when you recruit one contributing WR in a three-year period.

• Plus1 6
On 4/22/2021 at 1:02 PM, Mavric said:

Thanks for posting that.  I had seen it earlier but hadn't gotten it here yet.

People can be tired of blaming Riley all they want.  The fact is the offensive guys he recruited have almost all been busts.

Using the above names, here's how much Riley's WR recruits have contributed by year:

2015 - 0 receptions

2016 - 0 receptions

2017 - 68 rec, 925 yards, 2 TDs

2018 - 87 rec, 956 yards, 8 TDs

2019 - 59 rec, 990 yards, 5 TDs

2020 - 5 rec, 40 yards

So Riley got by for two years relying exclusively on Pelini recruits.  Then there were three years that all of Riley's recruits combined to be the equivalent of one good receiver.  And, for all intents and purposes, that's all there was.  It's pretty tough to try to run an offense when you recruit one contributing WR in a three-year period.

#Calibraska :thumbs

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

A stupid amount of soft tissues injuries to freshman after they come here for the first few months. Duval needs to tweak his system. I thought I may have actually read they were adjusting freshman programming for that reason but perhaps that’s all in my head 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Huskadeez said:

Nobody in here has commented about Fidone tearing his ACL? 

I'd rather wait for official confirmation. 

1 hour ago, Decked said:

A stupid amount of soft tissues injuries to freshman after they come here for the first few months. Duval needs to tweak his system. I thought I may have actually read they were adjusting freshman programming for that reason but perhaps that’s all in my head 

Nobody else has had soft tissue injuries. For all we know, he got his foot stuck when planting for a turn on a route. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
58 minutes ago, uberism said:

I'd rather wait for official confirmation. 

Nobody else has had soft tissue injuries. For all we know, he got his foot stuck when planting for a turn on a route. 

We have actually had a lot of soft tissue injuries since Duval showed up.   

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

We have actually had a lot of soft tissue injuries since Duval showed up.   

I thought everyone complained about them under Riley, and we were so much better Duval's first season... Rose colored glasses I guess.

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I thought everyone complained about them under Riley, and we were so much better Duval's first season... Rose colored glasses I guess.

There are people who complain about it every year any time someone gets an injury. It's football, people are going to have an injury at some point in their career. Even Tom Brady had a torn Achilles. 

Fidone will be fine since he has the work ethic to overcome the injury with rehab. 

• Plus1 1