2021 Spring Notes - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Mavric

1 hour ago, uberism said:

There are people who complain about it every year any time someone gets an injury. It's football, people are going to have an injury at some point in their career. Even Tom Brady had a torn Achilles. 

Fidone will be fine since he has the work ethic to overcome the injury with rehab. 

You can come back and be an athlete again with hard work yes. No guarantee you retain the explosiveness you had before, that is the worry here.

IMO, our passing game will go as the OL goes.  Time to throw and make reads will improve the passing game dramatically.  Second will be the bigger/faster guys that can take the top off of the D, create mismatches and force the D to defend the whole field, not just the box.  Then the argument that a strong running attack could pull the safeties into the box, making the deep throws easier.........And create mismatches by keeping LB's on the field more.  Again, OL needs to step up big time.

I am hoping that whatever passing/running game plan we use goes more vertical and less horizontal than I am used to seeing.  Gotta make the D play the entire field.  Make them pay if the creep up into the box and crowd the LOS.

On paper, we have more talent at the WR/TE position than I can remember. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, runningblind said:

You can come back and be an athlete again with hard work yes. No guarantee you retain the explosiveness you had before, that is the worry here.

A decade ago, sure, but these days it's not as big of an injury as it once was due to the advances in surgery. Players are always coming back, and in some cases, even better than prior to the injury. 

49 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Has there been any more word coming out about this?

I doubt we'll find out much of anything for sure until Frost talks to the media next.  Not sure if that's tomorrow or Wednesday.

Definitely sounds like he got hurt. Not sure if the reports of how bad are speculation or accurate.

On 4/24/2021 at 2:51 PM, Decked said:

A stupid amount of soft tissues injuries to freshman after they come here for the first few months. Duval needs to tweak his system. I thought I may have actually read they were adjusting freshman programming for that reason but perhaps that’s all in my head 

Maybe i'm in with the rose colored glasses crowd but I do think a lot of off-season soft tissue injuries  are occurring with newcomers most often and that Duval's staff are actually preparing the team well for the season. During the games, we have appeared to have players that are much better conditioned to handle the physicality. I remember there were several games during the Riley years where players would drop consistently and it rarely had to do with the pace of the other team's offense. I know there are more instances but two that come to mind last season were Reimer against Northwestern making an awkward step and I believe Deontre Thomas against Penn State with their thug guard taking some cheapshots. Otherwise I don't recall us having too many injury stops during the games and have to believe some credit should be given to Duval for that. 

As for ACLs and the like, it is hard to blame the staff for some of those injuries that just happen. Farmer's injury at Purdue is an example. There are just so many variables but the true barometer of the staff's work should be considered during the season.

• Haha 1

An injury to Allen & Vokolek Is now pretty costly at this point if you’re trying to have some kind of power run game with two TE sets/goal line. Without Fidone & Rafdal..room is getting really light in stature. Hickman can suffice for a pass catcher but is too small at 206 to be a blocker. 

4 minutes ago, Decked said:

An injury to Allen & Vokolek Is now pretty costly at this point if you’re trying to have some kind of power run game with two TE sets/goal line. Without Fidone & Rafdal..room is getting really light in stature. Hickman can suffice for a pass catcher but is too small at 206 to be a blocker. 

He won't be 206 by fall.  Biggest question is, how much can he put on?  He's obviously not going to get to 230 or 240.  But, maybe he could get to 215 or 220.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

He won't be 206 by fall.  Biggest question is, how much can he put on?  He's obviously not going to get to 230 or 240.  But, maybe he could get to 215 or 220.

Goal weight is 220 per the 247 article I read today. Hickman also prior to moving to WR hadn’t been able to put on weight very effectively. 

2 minutes ago, Decked said:

Goal weight is 220 per the 247 article I read today. Hickman also prior to moving to WR hadn’t been able to put on weight very effectively. 

He was 212 before going to WR.  So, it should be easy for him to at least put that on.  Hopefully his metabolism has changed over the last year or so so he can put on more than that.

I know that's right at the age where mine totally flipped. Maybe the training table needs Bud....weis....er.