2021 Spring Notes - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Mavric

6 minutes ago, Decked said:

Goal weight is 220 per the 247 article I read today. Hickman also prior to moving to WR hadn’t been able to put on weight very effectively. 

I think Hickman will have more of a hybrid role between WR & TE than being true to either position. 

A positive out of the injury news for Fidone... it could help give Carnie & Rollins more reps to start fall camp. Those two might not be expected to have a large impact this season, but the added reps could help them develop. 

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He was 212 before going to WR.  So, it should be easy for him to at least put that on.  Hopefully his metabolism has changed over the last year or so so he can put on more than that.

I know that's right at the age where mine totally flipped. Maybe the training table needs Bud....weis....er.

Hickman just needs to f#&%ing eat 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

44 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I would take Nunn/Swift/Peterson/Purify or Enunwa/Turner/Bell/Westerkamp over this group. 

I would too, but that's because we know those guys produced. Talent-wise, it's not even close - Enunwa was an elite athlete, Turner and Bell (and Purify from the earlier group) were very good ones. The current group has 2 elite athletes (Manning and Betts), and probably 4 very good ones (Toure, Martin, Nixon*, Brown). Also for the last 4, they only overlapped for one season (2013). Turner was mostly a non-factor at that point.

I would totally take a group proven to produce over a more talented but unproven group. But we've got what we've got, and it's pretty clearly more talented than any in recent memory. We'll see if they produce like it.  

*Depending on whether he's 100% back from the ACL.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I would too, but that's because we know those guys produced. Talent-wise, it's not even close - Enunwa was an elite athlete, Turner and Bell (and Purify from the earlier group) were very good ones. The current group has 2 elite athletes (Manning and Betts), and probably 4 very good ones (Toure, Martin, Nixon*, Brown). Also for the last 4, they only overlapped for one season (2013). Turner was mostly a non-factor at that point.

I would totally take a group proven to produce over a more talented but unproven group. But we've got what we've got, and it's pretty clearly more talented than any in recent memory. We'll see if they produce like it.  

*Depending on whether he's 100% back from the ACL.

All of those receivers were unproven at one point too.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

All of those receivers were unproven at one point too.

Almost all the good ones out of those groups actually weren't unproven at the same stage, they were good right away. Their first years:

Purify (JUCO) -  34/630/7

Swift - 45/641/7

Bell - 32/461/3

Westerkamp - 20/283/1

Turner - 15/243/0

Nunn - 16/218/0

Peterson - 9/150/2

Enunwa - 1/10/0 (thanks for burning that redshirt)

Obviously Enunwa didn't right away, but most of the others did. Obviously lots of factors going on outside of the receivers themselves, and I am really excited for this group. But I think both things are true - this is the most talented group in quite some time, but they are also less proven at the same stage than previous groups. It's also unique that all of the current guys are at most 2 years into the program. The previous groups weren't all unproven at once.

One of the factors we can sort of control for is length of the season - projecting Betts 8 game line to 12 gets him to 18/196/1.5 which at least fits in with the middle of the table. That kind of surprised me, but in any case I'd love to see a year 2 leap like Westy (44/747/5), Nunn (43/495/7), or Turner (32/417/3). Or better!

6 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I would take Nunn/Swift/Peterson/Purify or Enunwa/Turner/Bell/Westerkamp over this group. 

I agree based on their actual contributions.  They were all solid. That's why I said "on paper".  This group has the potential to be very good.  BUT, it's all potential as they have not really accomplished a lot.