2021 Spring Notes - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Mavric

@Hilltop The thing is, we've had other good receiving options in guys like Wandale and Spielman. The problem is that we haven't had a legit deep threat guy at the X receiver spot since Stanley Morgan left. No deep threat for defenses to worry about = short passes and runs get easier for the D to handle. Get that taken care of, and everything else opens up more. Manning is exactly the puzzle piece that this offense has been missing the last two seasons.

@Mavric Even just as a passer, I wouldn't say Lee was significantly better than Armstrong. Lee threw twice as many picks in 2017 as Armstrong did in the previous season. Even accounting for the difference in attempts, that's pretty awful. Lee's completion percentage wasn't THAT much better (57.5 vs 51.4), and efficiency was about even (129 vs 124).

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

49 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Mavric Even just as a passer, I wouldn't say Lee was significantly better than Armstrong. Lee threw twice as many picks in 2017 as Armstrong did in the previous season. Even accounting for the difference in attempts, that's pretty awful. Lee's completion percentage wasn't THAT much better (57.5 vs 51.4), and efficiency was about even (129 vs 124).

Eh, I'm not a Tanner Lee apologist by any means.  But TA was a horrific passer.  Lee was a bad decision-maker but a decent thrower.  Not that that distinction made much of a difference helping us win games but Lee at least had potential to throw.  TA didn't have either.

TA's 51.4 completion percentage was good enough to place us #122 in the nation in that category that year.  Lee's 57.5 wasn't great but at #77 in the nation we were at least ahead of a third of the teams instead of only six teams (including two service academies).  So I would say that is a pretty noticeable difference.

TA was better at protecting the ball his senior year but he threw the same 16 picks his junior year that Lee threw his senior year on half as many attempts.  And both their INT rates at Nebraska were basically the same.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Toe said:

@Hilltop The thing is, we've had other good receiving options in guys like Wandale and Spielman. The problem is that we haven't had a legit deep threat guy at the X receiver spot since Stanley Morgan left. No deep threat for defenses to worry about = short passes and runs get easier for the D to handle. Get that taken care of, and everything else opens up more. Manning is exactly the puzzle piece that this offense has been missing the last two seasons.

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I'm not a Tanner Lee apologist by any means.  But TA was a horrific passer.  Lee was a bad decision-maker but a decent thrower.  Not that that distinction made much of a difference helping us win games but Lee at least had potential to throw.  TA didn't have either.

TA's 51.4 completion percentage was good enough to place us #122 in the nation in that category that year.  Lee's 57.5 wasn't great but at #77 in the nation we were at least ahead of a third of the teams instead of only six teams (including two service academies).  So I would say that is a pretty noticeable difference.

TA was better at protecting the ball his senior year but he threw the same 16 picks his junior year that Lee threw his senior year on half as many attempts.  And both their INT rates at Nebraska were basically the same.

Can we go back to discussing whether Iowa or Nebraska have more boring landscapes instead? This is depressing.

• Plus1 1
On 6/2/2021 at 8:01 PM, runningblind said:

Can we go back to discussing whether Iowa or Nebraska have more boring landscapes instead? This is depressing.

I drove through Iowa last weekend and actually found it kind of pleasant. Nice rolling hills and the fields. Nothing is worse than Missouri.

31 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I drove through Iowa last weekend and actually found it kind of pleasant. Nice rolling hills and the fields. Nothing is worse than Missouri.

Major highways are what’s boring.  NE/IA and even MO having beautiful scenery if you’re on the right roads.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

36 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Major highways are what’s boring.  NE/IA and even MO having beautiful scenery if you’re on the right roads.

There are nice parts of every state.  I just find it funny when folks from one state feel the need to insult the other like Iowa is akin to Southern Utah and Nebraska is to Western Montana for scenery.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

There are nice parts of every state.  I just find it funny when folks from one state feel the need to insult the other like Iowa is akin to Southern Utah and Nebraska is to Western Montana for scenery.

Being someone who grew up in Nebraska, moved to Iowa for 15 years and now back in Nebraska, I agree.  There are absolutely beautiful parts of both states and I've enjoyed living in both.

But, the most annoying part of the entire experience is the constant jokes people think they have to tell you about each state.  Pathetic thing is that they are the exact same f#&%ing jokes.

Living in Iowa....."Hey, you know what the best thing coming out of Nebraska is?  I-80.....ha ha ha..."

Living in Nebraska...."Hey, you know what the best thing coming out of Iowa is?  I-80....ha ha ha...."

Gee....never heard that one before.....:facepalm:

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...