2021 Spring Pressers

Mavric

21 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Its one thing if he said our scheme sucked and we're revamping it, but to say the effort wasn't there is pathetic.

That's one way to view it.  I think the assistants were so damn busy trying to coach a ton of new people up on everything else they lost focus on it at times.  We were green and had very little practice/prep time.  I'm guessing the special teams will be much better this year.

All of that said, different words sure could have been used.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting "read between the lines" storyline trickling out of these pressers is this heavier emphasis on a "power running game" referenced by Austin, Lubick, & Frost. If you put the pieces together, Austin alluded to slowing down, Frost/Lubick referenced Toure starting inside (R), & Becton mentioned cross training Fidone at Y & R.   

Assuming they aren't referencing going under center, I would speculate this points to usage of more Pistol sets & Veer, similar to what Baltimore runs.  It's rarely been utilized, but it has been run by Frost & Co at NU & UCF.  From a personnel standpoint, this would make sense with Stepp at RB, & utilizing your best receiving options.  If true, we'd see more intermediate route RPO's, and fewer bubble screens & flat RPO's.  Time will tell.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

That's one way to view it.  I think the assistants were so damn busy trying to coach a ton of new people up on everything else they lost focus on it at times.  We were green and had very little practice/prep time.  I'm guessing the special teams will be much better this year.

All of that said, different words sure could have been used.  

I hope it was worded badly. Seems weird to have Frost fighting to have a season and then hear a coach say the effort from the staff wasn't there.

I do like Austin talking about practicing to the whistle.  Concentrating on finishing instead if fast.....Saying stuff we haven't heard before.  Maybe they are coaching this season as though their jobs depend on it....

Strong words from Fish on the DB's and Beck on the TE's....Must not drink kool-aid.....

• Plus1 1

Honestly, coaching and playing football had to have sucked last year. Dealing with all of the COVID protocols, testing, managing positives cases had to be a pain in the a$$. Then when the team had done so much right from June until August, and then have the season taken away from the team for 2-3 months, I can see how it would be tough to keep motivated. People act like these players and coaches should be football robots. 

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1

30 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, coaching and playing football had to have sucked last year. Dealing with all of the COVID protocols, testing, managing positives cases had to be a pain in the a$$. Then when the team had done so much right from June until August, and then have the season taken away from the team for 2-3 months, I can see how it would be tough to keep motivated. People act like these players and coaches should be football robots. 

For sure.  Also the best way to blow off some steam is to party it down and those were probably frowned upon bc your team might have to cancel games games. Just a weird year. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I disagree.  Seems to me the coaches are taking ownership of the problem and fixing it. 

They’ve been saying they are gonna do this and that since they got here. Too much talk and not enough action. When it comes to anything with this staff (outside of defense now) I will believe it when I see it. 

• Plus1 8
3 minutes ago, Decked said:

They’ve been saying they are gonna do this and that since they got here. Too much talk and not enough action. When it comes to anything with this staff (outside of defense now) I will believe it when I see it. 

Fine....but what does that have to do with what I quoted from you?

Were they supposed to come out and blame the players?

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fine....but what does that have to do with what I quoted from you?

Were they supposed to come out and blame the players?

It shows that the leadership from the top was so bad that nobody took command of special teams? 

Transparency is great but what they said was flat out alarming. That should’ve been a massive priority after how bad special teams have been since Scott has arrived. This team is majorly undisciplined in all aspects and it comes from him. 

• Plus1 3