Revised 2021 Schedule

10 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

You can add Michigan and Wisconsin to that group, neither of those are guaranteed losses. Even sticking to your original list, who are the 3 losses? Iowa, NW, ..? 6 wins is very doable.

SE LA is a win. The only way we lose to Illinois, Buffalo, Michigan State, or Purdue is a complete collapse - so figure that happens once. Then it's NW (lost a ton of their defense and their only production on offense), Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan (who will be better but was terrible last year). The way I see it is we only have 2 for sure losses (Oklahoma and OSU), 5 games we should win, and 5 that are varying degrees of toss-up. We just probably have to win 2 of the tossups to account for dropping one we should win. 

I'm definitely a kool-aid drinker, but I think 5 wins is the floor and we win a game you left out of your winnable group. I'll save my actual prediction for that thread whenever it shows up, but if we manage to miss a bowl this year I will finally be off the Frost bandwagon.

I get what you're saying for Mich and Wis. They were definitely underwhelming last year. I just think they're more established and have more firepower than Neb. As far as potential losses from the original list, I could honestly see a case for all of them except SE La. But on the other hand, I also wouldn't be surprised if Neb beat all of them. I'm just not confident that that'll happen. 

The defense should likely keep Neb in every game minus OU and Ohio State. This season will depend entirely on whether or not the offense can finally put it together. 

Some of the ongoing criticisms are around the failure to make second half-adjustments, really poor special teams play, and regression or transfer among Husker skill players. So it's still all about forward motion. A 5-6 season where the wins are fun and the losses are gritty, and new talent is stepping up — and so are the coaches -- yeah. I could live with that. 

Remember Frost's first Husker squad that finished 4-2, gave Ohio State a serious game, and launched its Freshman QB into the Heisman discussion? 

I think most of us felt surprisingly good about that 4-8 season. 

Tougher schedule this year, but I'm still willing to rely on the eyeball test.

And if 2022 isn't better than 2021, the excuses run out. 

21 minutes ago, Fru said:

I get what you're saying for Mich and Wis. They were definitely underwhelming last year. I just think they're more established and have more firepower than Neb. As far as potential losses from the original list, I could honestly see a case for all of them except SE La. But on the other hand, I also wouldn't be surprised if Neb beat all of them. I'm just not confident that that'll happen. 

The defense should likely keep Neb in every game minus OU and Ohio State. This season will depend entirely on whether or not the offense can finally put it together. 

Yeah fair enough, I also wouldn't be surprised at losing any individual outside of SE La which is.. not fun. It'll be interesting for sure, I feel like every team in the West has questions. Iowa and Wisconsin have the fewest though, and easier crossover games. 

"The defense should likely keep Neb in every game minus OU and Ohio State. This season will depend entirely on whether or not the offense can finally put it together."

I know that this is the prevailing sentiment and getting a lot of run (And I certainly hope it's correct); But I'm just a bit worried that the defense's progress came in the last handful of games against really pedantic offenses.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah fair enough, I also wouldn't be surprised at losing any individual outside of SE La which is.. not fun. It'll be interesting for sure, I feel like every team in the West has questions. Iowa and Wisconsin have the fewest though, and easier crossover games. 

Definitely. It's not a murderers row, but they all always play Neb tough, and Neb always seems to shoot themselves in the foot somehow. 

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm definitely a kool-aid drinker, but I think 5 wins is the floor and we win a game you left out of your winnable group.

Five wins is not the floor...it is a reasonable consensus, but there are certainly not 5 guaranteed wins here. We have consistently found ways to smash through "the floor" year after year.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

This will be the 6th straight year that Nebraska faces Ohio State.  Is that unusual for a team to play the same team in the opposite division 6 years in a row?  

8/10 since we joined the conference and were never in the same division...that's very high. 

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

Five wins is not the floor...it is a reasonable consensus, but there are certainly not 5 guaranteed wins here. We have consistently found ways to smash through "the floor" year after year.

I think "could lose any of these 5 games" and "could lose all of these 5 games" are different things. There's definitely a case for the floor being lower than 5, I just don't see the floor as literally losing every game you're not guaranteed to win. That is technically the absolute floor sure, but I think the realistic floor here is 5 - ok maybe 4. 

Mind you, it’s been a couple months since I’ve had my eyes opened by this team but that schedule looks to me like a 7 win floor, 8 legitimately expected and a ceiling of 10 wins.

You guys can talk about  1 or 3 or 5 wins all you want. If I don’t see 7 or more this year, things aren’t on the right track. And don’t get me wrong, I’m not drinking the red Kool-Aid. After the last handful of years, I would be much more surprised if they actually attained my 7 win floor than if they turned in a 2 win stinker. No more excuses. No more sunshine. Start winning of stfu.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Mind you, it’s been a couple months since I’ve had my eyes opened by this team but that schedule looks to me like a 7 win floor, 8 legitimately expected and a ceiling of 10 wins.

You guys can talk about  1 or 3 or 5 wins all you want. If I don’t see 7 or more this year, things aren’t on the right track. And don’t get me wrong, I’m not drinking the red Kool-Aid. After the last handful of years, I would be much more surprised if they actually attained my 7 win floor than if they turned in a 2 win stinker. No more excuses. No more sunshine. Start winning of stfu.

Are you calling my 3 win prediction pumping sunshine there?! :lol:

I get what you're saying about seeing 7/8-10, but that is just the mistake I talked about in my post above. That is simply not this team.  I agree if they don't get there things probably aren't on the right track, but they're going to have to shock me to get there.

• Plus1 1

Its hard for us who lived the glory years to comprehend how the team has fallen so far. Who'd have thought Bo's 9 win average would be a goal we hoped for? That said, I do think a "no bowl" season would be hard, very hard to swallow. I, like many, am tired of excuses and below mediocrity. Sadly, the entire men's athletics department is at below mediocrity with the exception of wrestling and baseball. There's simply "no" excuse for not being a top 25 football team. NONE

• Plus1 3