Revised 2021 Schedule

32 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Are you calling my 3 win prediction pumping sunshine there?! :lol:

I get what you're saying about seeing 7/8-10, but that is just the mistake I talked about in my post above. That is simply not this team.  I agree if they don't get there things probably aren't on the right track, but they're going to have to shock me to get there.

And that's why I'm not predicting 7 or 8 wins. I'm simply saying that is how many wins there should be with this schedule. I just don't and won't ever look at teams like Purdue, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern and think they present some insurmountable challenge. I keep getting proven wrong about that but I'm not about to let my standards slip. I'll just keep on being depressed and disappointed. The last 20 years have prepared me well for yet another one :lol:

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

And that's why I'm not predicting 7 or 8 wins. I'm simply saying that is how many wins there should be with this schedule. I just don't and won't ever look at teams like Purdue, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern and think they present some insurmountable challenge. I keep getting proven wrong about that but I'm not about to let my standards slip. I'll just keep on being depressed and disappointed. The last 20 years have prepared me well for yet another one :lol:

Pretty much how I feel.  

If we can somehow turn ST from poor to good I think that equals 2 wins.

Cut the penalties and TO's to avg for the West at worst, and I think that nets 1-2 more wins.

Granted, these are two big IFs for next year, but they can happen.

Get those things figured out and we're right back in the hunt for the West and we're all happy again.;)

• Plus1 4
5 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

This will be the 6th straight year that Nebraska faces Ohio State.  Is that unusual for a team to play the same team in the opposite division 6 years in a row?  

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

The B1G set up a schedule where one cross-over matchup was supposedly "drawn out of a hat" and that matucp up would continue for six years.

We drew Ohio State.

That six years is up after 2021.

18 hours ago, HANC said:

Exactly.  My question is.......if they win 5 or 6 games, with everything you have mentioned (all very true), where does that put the fan base?

Satisfied that there is progress?

Happy because most think 5-6 is overachieving?

Pissed that we are still only winning 5-6 ?

There are other options.  

encouraged that there was progress and we made it to a bowl game, but not satisfied because this isn’t our ultimate goal.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are other options.  

encouraged that there was progress and we made it to a bowl game, but not satisfied because this isn’t our ultimate goal.  

I would HOPE that this would be the sentiment from the fan base. 

On 2/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, runningblind said:

Are you calling my 3 win prediction pumping sunshine there?! :lol:

I get what you're saying about seeing 7/8-10, but that is just the mistake I talked about in my post above. That is simply not this team.  I agree if they don't get there things probably aren't on the right track, but they're going to have to shock me to get there.

I can understand being pessimistic, but 3 wins is really lacking objectivity IMO. They went 3-5 this past season alone on just a conference only schedule, with a multitude of close losses. They won 5 games the year prior. They will get 12 games this coming season with 3 non-conference chances. Yes OU is a likely loss, but I like this team’s chances to win the other 2 non-conference games. If they go 3-6 or 4-5 in conference that is 5 to 6 wins. If they only win 3 out of 12, then this team will have seriously regressed from just this past season despite getting all of a vastly improved Blackshirt unit back. The o-line looks promising IMO as well. I just don’t get the doom and gloom 3-9 projections. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

I can understand being pessimistic, but 3 wins is really lacking objectivity IMO. They went 3-5 this past season alone on just a conference only schedule, with a multitude of close losses. They won 5 games the year prior. They will get 12 games this coming season with 3 non-conference chances. Yes OU is a likely loss, but I like this team’s chances to win the other 2 non-conference games. If they go 3-6 or 4-5 in conference that is 5 to 6 wins. If they only win 3 out of 12, then this team will have seriously regressed from just this past season despite getting all of a vastly improved Blackshirt unit back. The o-line looks promising IMO as well. I just don’t get the doom and gloom 3-9 projections. 

The point was they have let me down every year under Frost,  by 3-5 wins of where I thought they should be. We thought the O line looked promising last year, Omar Manning coming in, the Blackshirts seem much improved in a weird year with a weak back end of the schedule, yada yada yada.  Where did that end up? My thought is that they simply have to exceed expectations at prediction of 3-9 or I'll just mail in my fandom after that point.

I can see that 5-7 seems fairly likely:

Illinois - W or L

Buffalo - W

OU - L

MSU - W or L

NW - W or L

Michigan- L

Minnesota - W or L

Purdue - W or L

OSU - L

SELA - W

Wisconsin - L

Iowa - L

However, what year have they beaten anyone they weren’t supposed to? None besides 2016 MSU under Riley, hasn't happened under Frost once. How many years do they lose to someone they shouldn't? Every year.  Are you ready to say they'll beat Wisconsin or Iowa? Me neither. I see 2 guaranteed wins on that schedule.  3-9, 4-8 isn't far off when you look at this objectively as you say, closer than 7-5 or 8-4 when I go game by game.  I really get what you're saying but what on earth gives you reason to trust this team at all?

I want them to succeed as bad as anyone but they have flat out underperformed for a decade now and it's silly to expect otherwise until they prove it with wins.  I expect as much when the preseason stuff comes out, no one will be trusting this team much wins and losses wise, it's just a fact right now.

• Plus1 1