Does Suh make the Hall of Fame?

Scarlet

I read some article (prior to the Super Bowl) that suggested Suh had between a 40-60%ish chance of making the HoF. His lack of Pro Bowls/First Team All Pro selection in the latter of his career are what's hurting him most, but the Super Bowl victory was pretty big. If I had to bet, I'd wager he gets in at some point now. Overall, 5x pro bowler, 3x all pro, SB champ and a defensive rookie of the year are pretty damn solid.

And I would hope the people making these decisions would be able to appropriately weigh his impact off of the stats sheet. DT's aren't usually the sexiest of defenders on the stats s#!t. I haven't followed his career that closely in recent seasons, though.

41 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Any stats to back that up. Find it hard to believe Aaron Donald isn't the most double teamed guy in the league. 

I was going off a claim Todd Bowles made in an interview.  According to an article I found referencing nextgen stats, Suh was doubled 3rd most in 2020 behind Donald & Kenny Clark.  This isn't a I'm was wrong, but I was right statement, but I still find that pretty telling given the # of talented interior lineman in the league, & pretty remarkable given most feel Suh is past his prime.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

I was going off a claim Todd Bowles made in an interview.  According to an article I found referencing nextgen stats, Suh was doubled 3rd most in 2020 behind Donald & Kenny Clark.  This isn't a I'm was wrong, but I was right statement, but I still find that pretty telling given the # of talented interior lineman in the league, & pretty remarkable given most feel Suh is past his prime.  

Also interesting that Aaron Donald had his best year by far when playing next to Suh (2018). It was much easier for him to accumulate a lot of those stats by having Suh taking two guys while Donald only had one guy to beat every play. Similar situation to Von Miller coming back down to earth after losing Shaquil Barrett opposite him for the Broncos. Both guys are still great players but neither are as effective without other studs to take attention away.

• Plus1 1

Suh better hope Donald plays a while after he retires, at this rate Donald will be considered the best DT of all-time and that's going to be a tough comparison. Another thing helping Suh is his personal performance in the playoffs - Even in Detroit it seemed like he turned it on for the rare playoff games he got, they just couldn't break through. He was a huge part of getting the Rams to the Super Bowl. And the Bucs defense as a whole was unreal this entire playoff run. With the ring to complete it (and a couple more years to tack on some counting stats and maybe another ring), he's doing alright. 

7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's true. When you watch games involving Suh, you really don't hear his name called much. Seems like his fellow defensive linemen get the sacks and the stops. But my understanding is that Suh maintains his reputation because he requires so much double-teaming. That's why he doesn't have the eye-popping numbers, but he's a dominant influence regardless. 

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Also interesting that Aaron Donald had his best year by far when playing next to Suh (2018). It was much easier for him to accumulate a lot of those stats by having Suh taking two guys while Donald only had one guy to beat every play. Similar situation to Von Miller coming back down to earth after losing Shaquil Barrett opposite him for the Broncos. Both guys are still great players but neither are as effective without other studs to take attention away.

Same reason our single-game sack record belongs to Jared Crick - Suh was commanding all the double teams, making it easier for Crick to get through.

mm0ts6g1hag61.jpg

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Forgetting Suh and David for the moment, every DC should study yesterday's Super Bowl because Tampa Bay had a strategy that made an elite offense and unflappable future HOF QB look silly for all four quarters. 

It's the same old story, these guys know what to do to stop these offenses, but it's very rare to be able to get that kind of pressure with just 4. You have to have the players to do it. They blitzed on 9% of plays last night. Defense is easy if you can double cover all night and have constant pressure.  It's why Tom Brady himself lost twice to the Giants. It's why Denver won a SB 5 years ago with a pathetic offense. Its why we all love the 2009 Husker defense. I could go on for days.  Football will always be won up front.

It's the absolute #1 thing Nebraska lacks on defense, a pass rush without having to send the house.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/peyton-manning-not-tom-brady-is-actually-the-goat-according-to-pfrs-hall-of-fame-monitor-metric/

This article references both Suh and Lavonte’s “metric” that PFR created and compared them to HOFers  in their position group.

Seems to me that accolades weigh heavy, which is what I gain from reading their explanation when comparing Peyton and Brady. Peyton lost 2 SBs and let’s be real, he didn’t win the second either. 

Nonetheless, enjoy.

• Plus1 1
On 2/8/2021 at 1:39 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Forgetting Suh and David for the moment, every DC should study yesterday's Super Bowl because Tampa Bay had a strategy that made an elite offense and unflappable future HOF QB look silly for all four quarters. 

The strategy is even better when the opposing team has two starting offensive linemen out.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/peyton-manning-not-tom-brady-is-actually-the-goat-according-to-pfrs-hall-of-fame-monitor-metric/

This article references both Suh and Lavonte’s “metric” that PFR created and compared them to HOFers  in their position group.

Seems to me that accolades weigh heavy, which is what I gain from reading their explanation when comparing Peyton and Brady. Peyton lost 2 SBs and let’s be real, he didn’t win the second either. 

Nonetheless, enjoy.

Not too high on SUH or Lavonte.  Maybe I am reading it wrong....Unsure how the actually measure.  But thought both would have higher point totals...

On 2/8/2021 at 5:41 PM, runningblind said:

It's the same old story, these guys know what to do to stop these offenses, but it's very rare to be able to get that kind of pressure with just 4. You have to have the players to do it. They blitzed on 9% of plays last night. Defense is easy if you can double cover all night and have constant pressure.  It's why Tom Brady himself lost twice to the Giants. It's why Denver won a SB 5 years ago with a pathetic offense. Its why we all love the 2009 Husker defense. I could go on for days.  Football will always be won up front.

It's the absolute #1 thing Nebraska lacks on defense, a pass rush without having to send the house.

100% agree..recruit a DL that can get there with 4 and recruit an OL that can block it...everything else gets all-conf and Heisman consideration 

Suh should absolutely be considered for HOF. he could probly get in. 

what still chaps my a$$, and will go down to my eventual grandkids, he shoulda won the Heisman. 

he’s been a great pro, overshadow by some during his pro career, but now has the cement of a SB. 

but good god almighty...who was a better college player than he his last year at N? 

Suh is a SB champion, multiple all pro, pro bowler, good guy community, nasty player, stats and film. Go to the HOF, deserves it. 

But honestly, his biggest BS loss is the Heisman. 
Not one player dominated like he did that year. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1