Does Suh make the Hall of Fame?

Scarlet

18 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's true. When you watch games involving Suh, you really don't hear his name called much. Seems like his fellow defensive linemen get the sacks and the stops. But my understanding is that Suh maintains his reputation because he requires so much double-teaming. That's why he doesn't have the eye-popping numbers, but he's a dominant influence regardless. 

This is my impression too. Now, I don't really pay close attention to other d-linemen on a regular basis, but since his college days, I have always tried to find and watch Suh. He never, ever gets pushed around, and on the occasion when we gets loose and is able to chase a QB or ball carrier, he is scary quick. Do many other d-linemen show the same strength and motor as consistently as Suh does?

Last night I think he only got one really good hit on Mahomes, but it was late in the game when most linemen are gassed, but my god Suh came like a runaway train across the backfield. This was after 3 quarters of eating up double teams, which allowed JPP to run free most of the night.

34 minutes ago, Ulty said:

This is my impression too. Now, I don't really pay close attention to other d-linemen on a regular basis, but since his college days, I have always tried to find and watch Suh. He never, ever gets pushed around, and on the occasion when we gets loose and is able to chase a QB or ball carrier, he is scary quick. Do many other d-linemen show the same strength and motor as consistently as Suh does?

Last night I think he only got one really good hit on Mahomes, but it was late in the game when most linemen are gassed, but my god Suh came like a runaway train across the backfield. This was after 3 quarters of eating up double teams, which allowed JPP to run free most of the night.

That's part of the nature of being a DT; you just don't accumulate popular stats like sacks. He's in the twilight of his career now and is probably just an above-average starter, but for most of the 2010s he was the most dominant defensive lineman in the league, and the voters know that. I think he'll get in. 

8 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

That's part of the nature of being a DT; you just don't accumulate popular stats like sacks. He's in the twilight of his career now and is probably just an above-average starter, but for most of the 2010s he was the most dominant defensive lineman in the league, and the voters know that. I think he'll get in. 

Problem is he's overlapping with Aaron Donald, who does accumulate popular stats like sacks. I think he deserves to be in, but the voters have some weird personal criteria sometimes. Cortez Kennedy and Dan Hampton being in sets a pretty good precedent though - they had 58/57 sacks and 5/6 1st or 2nd team all-pro selections in 11 and 12 years. Suh has 64.5, 5 1st or 2nd team, the all-decade team, in 11 seasons. Probably not adding to the all-pro total at this point, but he's been better than both of those guys. Also the aura of intimidation - unless they decide all of a sudden "dirty" players shouldn't get in when they've been embraced throughout the hall of fame, it's a plus for him. Wouldn't shock me if he didn't get in, probably not first ballot for sure, but I think he's in.

David is tougher, although probably just as deserving. He'll have the counting stats, but lots of LBs can rack up tackle totals and I'm not sure voters will look past to the INTs/PBUs/Sacks/FFs etc. Not getting the deserved all-pro votes hurts too, but he has more time whereas Suh is still good but is definitely trending downward. If they force Kuechly in somebody will bring up the comparison and maybe David would get some traction but I don't see it happening. I'd be pretty surprised if David got in, even though he probably deserves it.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Problem is he's overlapping with Aaron Donald, who does accumulate popular stats like sacks. I think he deserves to be in, but the voters have some weird personal criteria sometimes. Cortez Kennedy and Dan Hampton being in sets a pretty good precedent though - they had 58/57 sacks and 5/6 1st or 2nd team all-pro selections in 11 and 12 years. Suh has 64.5, 5 1st or 2nd team, the all-decade team, in 11 seasons. Probably not adding to the all-pro total at this point, but he's been better than both of those guys. Also the aura of intimidation - unless they decide all of a sudden "dirty" players shouldn't get in when they've been embraced throughout the hall of fame, it's a plus for him. Wouldn't shock me if he didn't get in, probably not first ballot for sure, but I think he's in.

David is tougher, although probably just as deserving. He'll have the counting stats, but lots of LBs can rack up tackle totals and I'm not sure voters will look past to the INTs/PBUs/Sacks/FFs etc. Not getting the deserved all-pro votes hurts too, but he has more time whereas Suh is still good but is definitely trending downward. If they force Kuechly in somebody will bring up the comparison and maybe David would get some traction but I don't see it happening. I'd be pretty surprised if David got in, even though he probably deserves it.

The thing with David is that he's still playing at a really high level and could realistically have a couple more years of All Pro-level production. Not getting deserved awards recognition early in his career is really going to hurt him, though.

• Plus1 1

I think Suh will take a few ballots but eventually will get in. Waning late career numbers and the dirty player tag will cost him on the first few tries.  LD may be as deserving, if not moreso, but I think he'll need to pad the resume a bit more and another title would help. Right now I don't think LD makes it, hope I get surprised.

SUH getting that massive sack in the 4th quarter of the SB should leave a lasting impression on some people.  Hopefully they will remember how dominant he was early in his career.   He has been used much differently now than during his beginning years at Detroit.  At Detroit as was the case at Nebraska - he could bull rush against practically anyone and strike fear in the QB's eyes.  We have to look at Tampa's rush defense. That is where I think Suh has made his biggest mark this year.  While he isn't the pass rusher he use to be, he has become an interior anchor that Tampa needed.  I'm old enough to remember Gary Larson with the Vikings - as a member of the Purple People Eaters front four, he was famous not for the QB sacks (that was the specialty of Page, Elder, and Marshal) but for anchoring the line against the run.  Hopefully voters will eventually see that in Suh and his later years contributions. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Forgetting Suh and David for the moment, every DC should study yesterday's Super Bowl because Tampa Bay had a strategy that made an elite offense and unflappable future HOF QB look silly for all four quarters. 

It's helpful that TB had a great front 4, along with some injured KC o-linemen.  When defenses can get pressure on the QB without sending a lot of blitzers (Bowles did blitz on occasion to mix things up) the D knows they only have to cover receivers for a few seconds.  When QB's have all day to sit back and read the defense, eventually a receiver will get open.

• Plus1 1

As a life long Bucs fan, Suh is an exponentially better pro than the former Buc going into the HOF next year (Lynch) & this ring should help certify his legacy.  

For anybody questioning how productive he still is, he was the most double-teamed player in the NFL the past 2 seasons.  And, the fact he's missed 2 games his entire career as an interior lineman who garners the attention his has is almost mind boggling.

As big a Suh fan as I am, I was a little upset when Arians essentially swapped Suh for McCoy 2 years ago.  I've met McCoy on multiple occasions, he's was just a great ambassador for the game, and Tampa.  But, the difference in the run game w/Suh was immediate & stark.  

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

As a life long Bucs fan, Suh is an exponentially better pro than the former Buc going into the HOF next year (Lynch) & this ring should help certify his legacy.  

For anybody questioning how productive he still is, he was the most double-teamed player in the NFL the past 2 seasons.  And, the fact he's missed 2 games his entire career as an interior lineman who garners the attention his has is almost mind boggling.

As big a Suh fan as I am, I was a little upset when Arians essentially swapped Suh for McCoy 2 years ago.  I've met McCoy on multiple occasions, he's was just a great ambassador for the game, and Tampa.  But, the difference in the run game w/Suh was immediate & stark.  

McCoy lasted 1 practice with Dallas this past training camp before blowing out his knee.  Suh was definitely the right answer for TB to partner with Vita Vea to plug up the middle.