Year 4 Expectations

We have just finished signing the latest recruiting class and our turning our attention to the next season which will be Frost's 4th year in charge.  Thus far Frost and Nebraska have done a good job leading the BIG West in recruiting when you look at the past 5 seasons as a whole.  Athlon rates Nebraska as having the 4th most talented roster based upon who we brought into the classes.  I realize all teams are losing guys to the transfer portal, but this is a positive sign that Nebraska continues to rank at the top or near the top in recruiting.  

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-ranking-rosters-2021

With that said, we have yet to see the success in recruiting translate into wins on the field.  I will admit that, when Frost was hired in December, 2017, I thought Nebraska would have already won a division title heading into Year 4 and would be a program on the rise with national relevancy.   Unfortunately that has not happened, but I am curious what you all think as well regarding:

1.  What was your expectation of where Nebraska might be in Year 4 when Frost was first announced as the hire in 2017?

2.  What is your current expectation of Year 4 given where the program stands today?

I already answered question 1, and in regard to question 2, I expect Nebraska to get to at least 7 wins this next season to really show some upward momentum.  Anything less than getting above .500 would be a disappointment, but if the Huskers can finish with 7 wins or more, it can really inject some much needed enthusiasm in the program.

1. I was with you on expecting at least competing for a division title by this point, and victories over Wisconsin and Iowa at least once in 3 years.

2. My current expectation for believing things can still work out moving forward is a bowl, and preferably 7-8+ wins. My actual expectation for this season is realisticly 5-7, with a possible swing up or down a game or two.  I do see player development occurring but I am not sure I see a head coach developing as well into someone who can win close games in the Big Ten. I hope we don't see instances of him saying he missed things in game anymore.  If it is 5 or less wins this year I will probably fall off the train believing Frost can win consistently here.

• Plus1 5

My expectation is 7-8 wins. That is my expectation and not necessarily a prediction. 6 or fewer wins would indicate we are not on an upward trajectory. Six and a bowl birth, while better than recent history, is not good enough. Need to see a big jump this year. The excuses are exhausted and the sunshine pump is broken.

When Frost was hired, my thoughts for where we'd be at in year 4 are far removed from the reality we find ourselves in. I expected much more progress to have been realized by now. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

All of you thinking we would be in a much better place going into year 4 also didn't think our country would be shut down for the better part of a year.  To not even consider this in your statements is a bit over the top.  We were in the middle of a complete reset and then lost all spring and summer practices and workouts.  Then in the fall we still didn't get normal reps.  This hurt all teams but especially the ones who were relying on so much youth like we were. 

Last year was far from a normal year and next year will not be a normal year 4.

I think we win 7-9 games if they can get a normal spring, summer, and fall to develop.    

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

All of you thinking we would be in a much better place going into year 4 also didn't think our country would be shut down for the better part of a year.  To not even consider this in your statements is a bit over the top.  We were in the middle of a complete reset and then lost all spring and summer practices and workouts.  Then in the fall we still didn't get normal reps.  This hurt all teams but especially the ones who were relying on so much youth like we were. 

Last year was far from a normal year and next year will not be a normal year 4.

I think we win 7-9 games if they can get a normal spring, summer, and fall to develop.    

Not sure what to think of this. You chastise others for not making allowances for the Covid year but you also think we’ll win 7-9 games which would be a huge jump from where we’ve been. It doesn’t seem like you are considering the loss of a normal year 3 or the impact that had on improvement/development either?

Sorry, it’s just unusual to see that tossed out there and then seemingly ignored in your expectation....unless I’m missing something. I also agree that we should win 7-9 games, but I realize I’m not really making any rational allowance for the lost season. I’m just tired of the excuses and sucking at the foosball.

• Plus1 3

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Not sure what to think of this. You chastise others for not making allowances for the Covid year but you also think we’ll win 7-9 games which would be a huge jump from where we’ve been. It doesn’t seem like you are considering the loss of a normal year 3 or the impact that had on improvement/development either?

Sorry, it’s just unusual to see that tossed out there and then seemingly ignored in your expectation....unless I’m missing something. I also agree that we should win 7-9 games, but I realize I’m not really making any rational allowance for the lost season. I’m just tired of the excuses and sucking at the foosball.

It was a 2 part question.  My chastising is that all expectations should thrown out the window when considering what the team was prior to SF taking over and then having to go through what they have.  The question is begging for negativity towards a coach who was placed in a crappy situation and then had a lot of other crappy things happen completely out of his control.  

Part 2 I answered realistically.  I do think we will be a game or two above 500 IF we have a normal spring, summer and fall.  

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I'd guess anywhere from 3 to 5 wins.  I don't know where the offense is going to come from.

The key to success will be the D continuing to improve and finally start getting some TO's (and some defensive TD's).....O is going to be a sh!T show for a while I fear......ST's improves, it'll get us a win or 2...

I'm guessing we go 5-7, top of 6-6.  This team (staff, not on D) has shown an inability to win.  I do not expect next year to be much different.  

• Plus1 2

3 on the low side maybe 5 wins tops. Frost on hot seat. Lack of offensive identity and skill players especially at WR forces AM to continue with the same volume of QB carries which leads to less yardage & more fumbles. Hope we can find some good backs & Stepp becomes able to play day 1. 

plz prove me wrong Huskers 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

It was a 2 part question.  My chastising is that all expectations should thrown out the window when considering what the team was prior to SF taking over and then having to go through what they have.  The question is begging for negativity towards a coach who was placed in a crappy situation and then had a lot of other crappy things happen completely out of his control.  

Part 2 I answered realistically.  I do think we will be a game or two above 500 IF we have a normal spring, summer and fall.  

Ah, that places it in a better context.

Yes, the OP question about what expectations were when Frost was hired is definitely loaded and begging for negativity.