Year 4 Expectations

47 minutes ago, TheSker said:

We are a pass rusher and a quarterback who doesn't turn the ball over away from being really strong.

Don't forget about our not-so Special Teams.  If it wasn't for Culp, we quite possibly could have been the worst in the nation at ST.  That must improve too if we don't want to keep losing to teams like Iowa and NW.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm expecting 4-8 or maybe 5-7 with 6-6 as the ceiling. Honesty, I haven't seen any real improvement in the HCSF's first 3 seasons and subsequently don't expect much to change this year. IMHO, it is imperative that we go 3-1 in the first 4 games if there is going to be any chance of making a bowl. OU is a loss but they must find a way to beat Ill, Buff & MSU. Starting 2-2 or 1-3 could lead to a disastrous season.

• Thanks 1

Expectations by year 4?  You have to win half your games.  Even though you been rebuilding for three seasons.

I think you win 6, get to a bowl game, and take it to the wire (win or lose). 

That's were we are in my mind.  I know we have a tough schedule (Ohio State, OU, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and our problems with NW and Minnesota.  Plus I feel Buffalo is good enough to run us over.  They have a winning culture the past few seasons and it shows up on the bottom line - wins + ppg). 

Anyway, this is year 4, and if you can't win 6 or 7, then we are going to aim for that number in year 5.  And each year try to get one more victory better. 

I really think they need to win 7 this season (year 4) and go to bowl game and win that too.  That's my expectation.  The Huskers need to be on the rise this year and moving in the direction of a legitimate threat by year 5 and beyond as a team you have to go through for a B1G West Division champ.

12 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I'm expecting 4-8 or maybe 5-7 with 6-6 as the ceiling. Honesty, I haven't seen any real improvement in the HCSF's first 3 seasons and subsequently don't expect much to change this year. IMHO, it is imperative that we go 3-1 in the first 4 games if there is going to be any chance of making a bowl. OU is a loss but they must find a way to beat Ill, Buff & MSU. Starting 2-2 or 1-3 could lead to a disastrous season.

:yeah 

GBR!!!

I don't know if there was a specific thread about it at the time, but it would be interesting to compare everyone's predictions and expectations for year 4 back when Frost was first hired. At the time, I looked at the upcoming schedules and figured year 2 would be a 10 win season and then never look back. And I think most folks would have agreed. Remember when our hopes were sky-high?

But now in the present day, I won't even make a prediction or list my expectations for year 4, because it is too sad. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I don't know if there was a specific thread about it at the time, but it would be interesting to compare everyone's predictions and expectations for year 4 back when Frost was first hired. At the time, I looked at the upcoming schedules and figured year 2 would be a 10 win season and then never look back. And I think most folks would have agreed. Remember when our hopes were sky-high?

But now in the present day, I won't even make a prediction or list my expectations for year 4, because it is too sad. 

This is pretty much where I am at. My hopes and expectations for this program have finally been wrung out too many times, and there's no more water in that rag. 

• Plus1 4

So this is an interesting question and comment by Jaimes who decided to go Pro. I wonder if this sentiment is mostly just with the offensive guys or the defensive guys as well. It seems like the defense is slowly progressing. But it sounds like Jaimes, Martinez and other team leaders were pretty disappointed with other players in the program. 

The Spun: You mentioned culture problems. Is that something still lingering, or do you feel like Nebraska turned the corner this past season? 

BJ: In my opinion, we didn’t turn any corners really. It was another frustrating season with things not clicking, and a lot of that started in the offseason. Older guys like me, Adrian and Matt tried to get those things right, but it just never clicked for some of those guys. As frustrating as it was, we had to go out there and continue practicing on Monday and get ready for a game each week. We did the best we could with the guys we had, but it just wasn’t enough. 

I'd be happy getting to any bowl.  6-7 wins would be my expectations.

It has to come out of these games.  We play Wisc at Wisc, so I don't have much hope there.

There should be 6 winable games here (what a low standard we've come to :facepalm:):

Ill, Buffalo, MSU, NW, Min, SELA, Purdue, Iowa