Year 4 Expectations

My expectations are pretty simple - we're going to be, essentially, the same team. Offensively, I like the additions of Stepp and Toure, but as long as Adrian is the one taking the often errant snaps, we're going to continue to be an emo, turnover laden, janky, inefficient offense. 

The defense will be serviceable, but we still lack an effective pass rusher. I think that losing Bootle may actually help the secondary out, giving way to a guy like Nadab Joseph to play opposite CTB. Having Deonte back at safety will help, but Dismuke will continue to be a liability. Dismuke always plays for the highlight hit, lowering his helmet and seemingly never wrapping up. Much like this season, the defense will have their moments, but will struggle to consistently be a good unit, while the offense doesn't do them any favors. 

We're staring down another 4--8 or 5-7 season. Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State boat race this team. The groans about Frost and our Fisher Price coaching staff (with the exception of a few position coaches) will continue to intensify. The wheels have the potential to come off next season. Looking over the schedule, we could find ourselves in position where this team only wins against Buffalo and SE Louisiana. That would be devastating for the program. 

• Plus1 3
23 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I think the offense is still a year or 2 behind.. doesn't make sense to me that Frost and Company are having so much trouble with that side of the ball. Wonder what the issue is.

I don't know. But it's common sense that every year that goes by and things still look s#!tty the players are not going to be "all in" trusting the coaches that their scheme works. Which makes it even harder to turn the corner. Some will see the comment by Jaimes and be defensive for Frost and the program and point their finger at him. But if him and other players feel that way- there is some dissention. A good year and winning makes all that go away. So lets figure out how to have a solid- winning season. Or I could see things starting to spiral. 

25 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don't know. But it's common sense that every year that goes by and things still look s#!tty the players are not going to be "all in" trusting the coaches that their scheme works. Which makes it even harder to turn the corner. Some will see the comment by Jaimes and be defensive for Frost and the program and point their finger at him. But if him and other players feel that way- there is some dissention. A good year and winning makes all that go away. So lets figure out how to have a solid- winning season. Or I could see things starting to spiral. 

Of course there's dissention on the OL....Jaimes had Corcoran and Banks about ready to reduce his snaps.

Same with Wilson.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
29 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Of course there's dissention on the OL....Jaimes had Corcoran and Banks about ready to reduce his snaps.

Same with Wilson.

Exactly my point. Head in the sand fans jump to discredit Jaimes instead of asking is he full of it or more to his comments? He threw Adrian's name in so I wonder if it is not in fact a problem. Also- what did he say that isn't true? Our offense is a mess and I don't know any fan who watched this season and said "yep- we turned the corner and looked good this year". 

Defensive players are coming back. Offensive ones are not. It's a reasonable assertion to consider there may be an issue. Maybe that explains more why we are incompetent on offense. No one cares? Lack of leadership? Maybe the guys who tried leading had no credibility? 

Sometimes on this board we get lost in the weeds of excuse making. After 3 years we should not look like this. I think Moos agrees hence why he came out publicly and said year 4 it is time to compete for the division. Or do we think after the season if we go 4-8 again Moos will say well we played a hard schedule so its ok? Not a chance in hell- those are excuses. We play in a big boy conference with a year in and year out big boy schedule. Figure out how to maneuver it.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Exactly my point. Head in the sand fans jump to discredit Jaimes instead of asking is he full of it or more to his comments? He threw Adrian's name in so I wonder if it is not in fact a problem. Also- what did he say that isn't true? Our offense is a mess and I don't know any fan who watched this season and said "yep- we turned the corner and looked good this year". 

Defensive players are coming back. Offensive ones are not. It's a reasonable assertion to consider there may be an issue. Maybe that explains more why we are incompetent on offense. No one cares? Lack of leadership? Maybe the guys who tried leading had no credibility? 

Sometimes on this board we get lost in the weeds of excuse making. After 3 years we should not look like this. I think Moos agrees hence why he came out publicly and said year 4 it is time to compete for the division. Or do we think after the season if we go 4-8 again Moos will say well we played a hard schedule so its ok? Not a chance in hell- those are excuses. We play in a big boy conference with a year in and year out big boy schedule. Figure out how to maneuver it.

There is an issue offensively.  That's not news.

It is a big boy football league.  That's why we need big boys.

Do you think Jaimes will be a high round draft pick?

If not, stick around to improve your stock.  Unless you think it won't improve by sticking around.  I'm pretty sure Corcoran and Banks are ready to get on the field.

.....and Frost has complimented both of them.

Maybe just head in the sand thoughts though......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
12 minutes ago, TheSker said:

There is an issue offensively.  That's not news.

It is a big boy football league.  That's why we need big boys.

Do you think Jaimes will be a high round draft pick?

If not, stick around to improve your stock.  Unless you think it won't improve by sticking around.  I'm pretty sure Corcoran and Banks are ready to get on the field.

.....and Frost has complimented both of them.

Maybe just head in the sand thoughts though......

Jameis was our best lineman during a real tough stretch but Cocoran will end up being a much better player.

My expectations for next year are real low, as I've had high expectations for infinity years now and buy into the hype every year, only to see us do the same dumb s#!t, year after year.

That being said, what I would like to see, is looking like we belong on the same field as majority of the teams we play.  The offensive line looking much improved.  Frost learning how to utilize the RB position.  Adrian being able to have some consistency passing downfield.  Our WRs showing what we all believe we have had waiting in the wings.  And most importantly, the defense not looking like they regressed.  Just a few of the things that come to mind right away.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

What?  He was our best lineman and probably will be the only Husker drafted....and somehow he was the problem and about to lose his starting job?

I did NOT say he was about to lose his starting job.....and he probably wouldn't have.

Bit his snap count (which is what I said) might have gone down.

And if you think your snap count might go down because of a freshman or two, might be time to declare.

He might have been out best lineman at times, but there is some serious talent behind him.

Jaimes knew that.....

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Are you seriously asking if there is proof of Corcoran's rating, talent and what the staff thought of his readiness?

Seriously?

No, He's a very talented player.  But, where is the proof that Jaimes was about to start losing snaps to him?

News flash, just because you have a talented Freshman doesn't mean the best senior lineman you have is going to start losing snaps.  

So....where's the proof that this was going to happen?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, He's a very talented player.  But, where is the proof that Jaimes was about to start losing snaps to him?

News flash, just because you have a talented Freshman doesn't mean the best senior lineman you have is going to start losing snaps.  

So....where's the proof that this was going to happen?

Might