Year 4 Expectations

6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

If Jaimes was going to be a first or second round pick, I'd agree with you.

We're stil ltrying to replace UDFAs at WR and RB 3 years later - draft slot is not a direct indication of how irreplaceable players are. I'm excited about Corcoran/Banks, but if Jaimes came back Corcoran would be cross training at Guard to see the field. There was no writing on the wall that he would be replaced.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

We're stil ltrying to replace UDFAs at WR and RB 3 years later - draft slot is not a direct indication of how irreplaceable players are. I'm excited about Corcoran/Banks, but if Jaimes came back Corcoran would be cross training at Guard to see the field. There was no writing on the wall that he would be replaced.

I did not use the word replace.

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I did not use the word replace.

We don't rotate lineman other than to phase them out (*cough* Wilson *cough*), so I don't know how else apparent future early round pick Corcoran would've reduced Jaimes's snaps. I love me some Corcoran as much as the next guy, he very well could turn into a high pick but that has little bearing on how ready he is/was to take snaps from Jaimes.

I just don't think we can hide the criticism by pretending it's coming from one of the guys transferring for playing time. I don't think it's news, there were reports of guys (particularly on O) checking out when the season was initially canceled and struggling to get back into it. I'd be more shocked if he had said there wasn't anything like that, because then I don't know where that performance was coming from. It's a frustrated guy referencing problems we knew we had. Wish they had more follow up questions on how he felt about it moving forward/if those guys were still going to be problems, but it is what it is.

• Plus1 2

42 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

We don't rotate lineman other than to phase them out (*cough* Wilson *cough*), so I don't know how else apparent future early round pick Corcoran would've reduced Jaimes's snaps. I love me some Corcoran as much as the next guy, he very well could turn into a high pick but that has little bearing on how ready he is/was to take snaps from Jaimes.

I just don't think we can hide the criticism by pretending it's coming from one of the guys transferring for playing time. I don't think it's news, there were reports of guys (particularly on O) checking out when the season was initially canceled and struggling to get back into it. I'd be more shocked if he had said there wasn't anything like that, because then I don't know where that performance was coming from. It's a frustrated guy referencing problems we knew we had. Wish they had more follow up questions on how he felt about it moving forward/if those guys were still going to be problems, but it is what it is.

I don't think any criticism has been hidden.

9 hours ago, Ulty said:

I don't know if there was a specific thread about it at the time, but it would be interesting to compare everyone's predictions and expectations for year 4 back when Frost was first hired. At the time, I looked at the upcoming schedules and figured year 2 would be a 10 win season and then never look back. And I think most folks would have agreed. Remember when our hopes were sky-high?

But now in the present day, I won't even make a prediction or list my expectations for year 4, because it is too sad. 

I agree with you Ulty.  I think we all had really high expectations and now many of us will be excited if we can be above .500 in year 4. 

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

My expectations are quite low. Going into year 4, my expectation is to go 5-7. If they've improved, they might get to 6-6, however I don't see it.

Frost has been a colossal failure. It's evident that he doesn't have what it takes to allow Nebraska to compete for the division, let alone the conference. 

Let's give him more than 3 years before we start calling him a "colossal failure."

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I'd be interested in the person giving the laughing emoji in response to these explaining their rationale behind it.

I didn’t give the emoji, but lack of an consistently good QB is what prevents the team from being above average.  Lack of elite talent is what keeps the team from being elite.  

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I didn’t give the emoji, but lack of an consistently good QB is what prevents the team from being above average.  Lack of elite talent is what keeps the team from being elite.  

Lack of good players playing well is what keeps the team from playing well.  Thank you John Madden.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I don't think we need "Elite" talent to finish above .500 or be close to winning our division.  As the link I shared as the start of this email, we have the highest ranked roster in the BIG West when you look over the past 5 years.  I know we have lost players, but all teams are losing players, so I don't agree that our talent is the reason we have not been able to win more games or finish above .500.  Northwestern is ranked 11th out of 14 in terms of 5-year talent average and look at what they have been able to accomplish. 

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-ranking-rosters-2021

• Plus1 1