Year 4 Expectations

11 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

We have good players.  When the most important position in football gets replaced during his third year of starting, that is a problem. Signed John Madden 

I think a bigger problem might be public boards that don't know the entire truth of any scenario spouting negatives everywhere. What I do know is many times I've seen experienced starters benched for a game or two so they can deal with whatever issues they are going through. (Kind of like a paid leave of absence/time off.) They clear their heads and reclaim their position and are all the better for it. Want some hall of fame names.. lets start with Troy Aikman and Joe Montana. (both btw benched in college and in the pros...) Instead of presumptive negatives based solely on the assumptive, instead maybe we should applaud our starters that were benched but regained their starting position and performed at a higher level. Yes AM has performed better since. (If memory serves we had a recent corner that was benched and months later drafted, yes?)

• Plus1 2

kids that get benched now simply enter the portal

18 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

My expectations are quite low. Going into year 4, my expectation is to go 5-7. If they've improved, they might get to 6-6, however I don't see it.

Frost has been a colossal failure. It's evident that he doesn't have what it takes to allow Nebraska to compete for the division, let alone the conference. 

Frost seems to do less with more, sad. picking up re runs is getting old too. his culture and the system he employs seems questionable, many of the kids obviously don't like it.

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, Street Novelist said:

Let's give him more than 3 years before we start calling him a "colossal failure."

His best player on offense has transferred in back to back seasons.

Frost has recruited 15 WRs to Nebraska in his first 3 recruiting classes, and only 1 has developed into a serviceable player. That player transferred. Let's hope Betts develops. Where are guys like Houston, Nance, or Brown?

Our QB play has repressed each season. They continue to turn the ball over at a high rate.

Our Center still has issues snapping the ball. Why Frost continues to use Jurgens is beyond me. 

RB development is only marginally better than WR development. So much so that our best WR recruit was over used at RB, partially leading to his transfer.

Our special teams has become almost laughable with their ineptitude. 

What Frost sees in practice is puzzling. He talks often about how we have good practices (to where it's a meme) but the team still plays poorly. Greg Bell, for example,  was his starting RB in year 1 and clearly wasn't very good. Whatever is happening at practice does not translate to the field.

I could go on. What Frost is developing at Nebraska is an unmitigated disaster. It sucks, but it's clear he's not going to bring Nebraska where they want to go. 

• Plus1 4
37 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

True and not good

Frost has recruited 15 WRs to Nebraska in his first 3 recruiting classes, and only 1 has developed into a serviceable player. That player transferred. Let's hope Betts develops. Where are guys like Houston, Nance, or Brown?

Houston and Nance were always long shots, and Brown was a true freshman with one year of WR experience at a prep school after being a HS QB. Turnover has killed him here - the best receivers we've recruited have left (Hunt, Chase, Wan'Dale). Again it's not good enough, but it's not like there's not an answer. They were either lottery tickets that haven't panned out, or they left for (depending on your view of the Wan'Dale situation) for legitimate reasons. That is still on Frost overall, but it's not like they've had all these receivers for 3+ years and can't develop them - I'm more worried about retention than development.

Our QB play has repressed each season. They continue to turn the ball over at a high rate.

Eh, it hasn't progressed for sure. I don't know about regressed, yeah we can use TD passes as a measure but that depends a lot on other players. If I try and measure some aspect of progress with completion % a certain chunk of the fanbase flips out, so I'd say more than an individual stat or two would be needed to say they've regressed or gotten better. 

Our Center still has issues snapping the ball. Why Frost continues to use Jurgens is beyond me. 

He had issues in 1-2 games last year, his positives far outweigh the negative. I still have a problem with using him exclusively in 2019, you can make a pretty good argument that his inexperience and issues were one of the bigger factors in losing to Colorado. 

RB development is only marginally better than WR development. So much so that our best WR recruit was over used at RB, partially leading to his transfer.

This one is fair. I buy that injuries and departures (Washington) have been the reason here but get it if people don't. If one of Mills/Morrison/Scott/Thompkins could've stayed healthy, I don't think we'd be that concerned with RB.

No argument

What Frost sees in practice is puzzling. He talks often about how we have good practices (to where it's a meme) but the team still plays poorly. Greg Bell, for example,  was his starting RB in year 1 and clearly wasn't very good. Whatever is happening at practice does not translate to the field.

Bell was fine, but not as good as Ozigbo. Averaged 5.6 YPC last year at San Diego State. I agree the "great practice" needs to start showing up on game day, but I don't think it's an issue where the staff thinks bad players look incredible in practice.

I could go on. What Frost is developing at Nebraska is an unmitigated disaster. It sucks, but it's clear he's not going to bring Nebraska where they want to go. 

Frost has definitely not been good enough, but some of these are stretches. I will agree it has been a disaster so far - 12-20 is very bad, there's no sugarcoating that. I definitely wouldn't say unmitigated though, I do see hope that many of the factors in the major issues can be resolved with depth (which is getting better), health, and experience. We'll know if that's enough in the next couple years, but as I've said before if this year is just totally more of the same I'll be off the Frost bandwagon.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I don't think we need "Elite" talent to finish above .500 or be close to winning our division.  As the link I shared as the start of this email, we have the highest ranked roster in the BIG West when you look over the past 5 years.  I know we have lost players, but all teams are losing players, so I don't agree that our talent is the reason we have not been able to win more games or finish above .500.  Northwestern is ranked 11th out of 14 in terms of 5-year talent average and look at what they have been able to accomplish. 

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-ranking-rosters-2021

I agree with you and it’s why I said so in the post you replied to.  We have good players and with consistently good QB play, the team should be a winning team.  We don’t have enough elite players yet to be an elite team (Top 10).  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I think a bigger problem might be public boards that don't know the entire truth of any scenario spouting negatives everywhere. What I do know is many times I've seen experienced starters benched for a game or two so they can deal with whatever issues they are going through. (Kind of like a paid leave of absence/time off.) They clear their heads and reclaim their position and are all the better for it. Want some hall of fame names.. lets start with Troy Aikman and Joe Montana. (both btw benched in college and in the pros...) Instead of presumptive negatives based solely on the assumptive, instead maybe we should applaud our starters that were benched but regained their starting position and performed at a higher level. Yes AM has performed better since. (If memory serves we had a recent corner that was benched and months later drafted, yes?)

Was Joe Montana benched in his third year of starting?  Was Troy Aikman benched in his third year of starting?  I actually don’t know, but so guess I would be surprised if they were.   Here hoping that AM plays as well as Montana and Aikman during his career.  He seems like a good kid and would be a good story.  I just don’t see it happening. 

Telling factual information about a third year starter getting benched for poor performance isn’t spouting negatives everywhere.  It’s telling factual information about the poor performance of one position on the football field. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree with you and it’s why I said so in the post you replied to.  We have good players and with consistently good QB play, the team should be a winning team.  We don’t have enough elite players yet to be an elite team (Top 10).  

Very true indeed.  I just want Nebraska to be a good team again as the first step before we can worry about being great or elite.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The fact that people think that JD was our best player says enough about the LACK or real talent.  How can you be the BEST player on this team, and barely see the field or contribute on a mediocre TCU team.  That says it all.  Frost hasn't lived up to hype, but our talent is not good. Just look at drafts, all-conference, etc.

You can't win in this league with the lack of talent or youth.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Telling factual information about a third year starter getting benched for poor performance isn’t spouting negatives everywhere.  It’s telling factual information about the poor performance of one position on the football field. 

Again, more assumptions... were you in the locker room? Maybe the coaches office? Hell, maybe a fly on the wall? There's many reasons to sit the young man. Maybe just to get him healthy. Ever think of that? You speak on the boards as though you know facts when in reality you know nothing more than the rest of us. AM's performance after the sitting was markedly better. Receiver play was a part of the improvement. Maybe also was a change in playing calling as frost said he step aside some in the last few games.. Lastly, AM has been through more than most his age.. Loss of a parent, personal injury, courageous enough as a 18 yo to step into the captains chair of one of the nations most storied programs... I'd say he's proven himself time and again and through it all he's wisely ignored the naysayers and whiners out there that know next to nothing about the realities that he's facing. Am I defending him, damn right I am. I won't be judgemental of a circumstance that I myself know nothing about. I might pose a question about the circumstance by I won't spout off my opinion and when I do, I want someone to shut me up. (Even if it calls for suspension! Sometimes suspension is the best remedy and too often is not used on this or most forums.)

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I tend to think that Coach Frost is just in over his head.  Coach Frost is a Luke Fickell, unable to succeed at a Major FBS level, but someone who I believe is better suited to coach in a league like the MAC or American.  No shame in this reality, but it will soon be time for our fanbase to face it.

"Man's got to know his limitations" as Clint Eastwood once said.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Very true indeed.  I just want Nebraska to be a good team again as the first step before we can worry about being great or elite.

Yep. Agree here.  Show some improvement with winning record in 2021.  I think there is some good talent in Fresh and RFresh classes that they will compete well in the coming years as long as coaches can get talent in behind them 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

Again, more assumptions... were you in the locker room? Maybe the coaches office? Hell, maybe a fly on the wall? There's many reasons to sit the young man. Maybe just to get him healthy. Ever think of that? You speak on the boards as though you know facts when in reality you know nothing more than the rest of us. AM's performance after the sitting was markedly better. Receiver play was a part of the improvement. Maybe also was a change in playing calling as frost said he step aside some in the last few games.. Lastly, AM has been through more than most his age.. Loss of a parent, personal injury, courageous enough as a 18 yo to step into the captains chair of one of the nations most storied programs... I'd say he's proven himself time and again and through it all he's wisely ignored the naysayers and whiners out there that know next to nothing about the realities that he's facing. Am I defending him, damn right I am. I won't be judgemental of a circumstance that I myself know nothing about. I might pose a question about the circumstance by I won't spout off my opinion and when I do, I want someone to shut me up. (Even if it calls for suspension! Sometimes suspension is the best remedy and too often is not used on this or most forums.)

I was not a fly on the wall. 

AM seems like a fine kid.  Voted captain so his peers seems to agree.  Regardless of what his circumstances are, we are speaking of on field performance.   Lots of players play injured, lots of players have personal issues/home issues/family issues to deal with.  That’s why I don’t talk about them for anyone and keep it to on field performance. His performance as a third year starter was not up to par and he got replaced for it for part of the season.  

The hope is that he plays much better as a fourth year starter than this last season.  If he doesn’t then the team will struggle again.  

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I was not a fly on the wall. 

AM seems like a fine kid.  Voted captain so his peers seems to agree.  Regardless of what his circumstances are, we are speaking of on field performance.   Lots of players play injured, lots of players have personal issues/home issues/family issues to deal with.  That’s why I don’t talk about them for anyone and keep it to on field performance. His performance as a third year starter was not up to par and he got replaced for it for part of the season.  

The hope is that he plays much better as a fourth year starter than this last season.  If he doesn’t then the team will struggle again.  

You are a prototypical arm chair quarterback. Also likely a fan that knows more then any coach. It's your way or the highway right? How many D1 teams have you coached or maybe a more reasonable question is, how many D1 players have you coached? My guess is none. My guess is that you're bloviating is a result of well.. a lack of substance within the actual game itself. Reality is, Madden games aren't real life and don't make you a coach.

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

You are a prototypical arm chair quarterback. Also likely a fan that knows more then any coach. It's your way or the highway right? How many D1 teams have you coached or maybe a more reasonable question is, how many D1 players have you coached? My guess is none. My guess is that you're bloviating is a result of well.. a lack of substance within the actual game itself. Reality is, Madden games aren't real life and don't make you a coach.

I have neither coached D1 teams nor coached any D1 players.  D1 baseball players coached is another story though and for another forum. 

I have played with and against D1 players in college as a starting QB however.  Some who even made it to the NFL. One of my college coaches, coaches for the Chiefs currently.  Another one coached for the Lions many moons ago.  

I don’t play Madden but I have a good sense of what makes a quality QB.  Ask me about linemen and all I know is feet, good base, and long arms matter.  Beyond that, it’s French to me.  Whatever I say about QB’s is taken from my experience playing in a four wide 1 back set in JUCO and a typical Pro style 2 wide, TE, Slot, one back set afterwords.   

At this point in life, yes I am an armchair QB.  I think everyone on this forum is.  It’s kinda the point.  
So back to the point at hand.  Hopefully AM produces at a high level in 2021 because without that, it’s gonna be a tough year unless SF changes to a run oriented offense.  NU needs the starting QB to be a top 10-20 QB in the country in the future to have the success as a team that we would all like.  I am hoping AM makes a big leap forward and gets there! 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I tend to think that Coach Frost is just in over his head.  Coach Frost is a Luke Fickell, unable to succeed at a Major FBS level, but someone who I believe is better suited to coach in a league like the MAC or American.  No shame in this reality, but it will soon be time for our fanbase to face it.

"Man's got to know his limitations" as Clint Eastwood once said.

I think you're right. Frost probably needed another few years at G5 or a low tier P5 program to learn the ropes.

• Plus1 1