Year 4 Expectations

7 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think you're right. Frost probably needed another few years at G5 or a low tier P5 program to learn the ropes.

Looking back  now I think the best thing for Frost would have been the '17 season not going perfectly, they won several that could have gone either way. Maybe if they took a couple L's Frost would have grown as a coach more and his perspective on some things would be different. 

7 hours ago, RichardHangslow said:

I think people would be foolish to think that we haven't improved under Frost. The fact of the matter is when Frost got here we were glorified high School football team, the rebuild after Mike Riley was a huge undertaking I don't care who was the coach. I definitely think we're headed in the right direction it's just not showing up in the win column, I think we will fall short of my ten and two expectation but I think we could definitely get to seven or eight wins and a bowl game if that turns into nine win season. That can go a long way however. we are going to need to replace Martinez at some point and I think we have to have a better quarterback than the ones we have in order to keep progressing the way we need to in order to sustain success. A high caliber quarterback is a must. 

I think Frost has improved the 'potential', but has so far failed to improve 'execution'.  

Fingers crossed this is the year he puts it all together.....

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, RichardHangslow said:

I think people would be foolish to think that we haven't improved under Frost. The fact of the matter is when Frost got here we were glorified high School football team, the rebuild after Mike Riley was a huge undertaking I don't care who was the coach. I definitely think we're headed in the right direction it's just not showing up in the win column, I think we will fall short of my ten and two expectation but I think we could definitely get to seven or eight wins and a bowl game if that turns into nine win season. That can go a long way however. we are going to need to replace Martinez at some point and I think we have to have a better quarterback than the ones we have in order to keep progressing the way we need to in order to sustain success. A high caliber quarterback is a must. 

That glorified high school team went 9-4 in 2016.  2017 rolled around and the administration hired Bob Diaco.  The same Bob Diaco Frost beat this season.  The same Bob Diaco PURDUE kicked to the curb after one season.  Eliminating him alone should have improved Nebraska's defense by leaps and bounds.  Instead, Frost was hired and he stupidly got rid of a bunch of players.  One of which was a first team All Pac 12 linebacker last season.

Today, Nebraska's offense is a glorified high school unit as there are absolutely no playmakers on it.  None.  The two best playmakers have quit in subsequent years.  Wandale, McCaffrey and Martinez were the only three players anybody worried about on the offense and the former two are gone.  People expecting more than 4-5 wins are in for a rude awakening.  Again.  And those numbers are generous.  In what many consider the weakest division in college football.  This offense will be uglier than the 2009 one.  Yet, many Nebraska fans will be back in 2021 talking about 10 wins after what could easily be an 8-9 loss season making excuses for Frost and laughably still blaming Riley.  

• Plus1 2

When Frost was hired I thought it would be the offense that would come together before the defense. The opposite happened. They haven't been able to get the WR room recruited and playing at the Big Ten level yet. Once that happens the offense will be a lot better. The OL is going to continue to get better now that we have bigger, more athletic guys taking over. 

LT: Turner

LG: Piper

C: Jurgens

RG: ?

RT: Benhart

Big, athletic guys. Just need to fill out the next 5. 

6 minutes ago, uberism said:

When Frost was hired I thought it would be the offense that would come together before the defense. The opposite happened. They haven't been able to get the WR room recruited and playing at the Big Ten level yet. Once that happens the offense will be a lot better. The OL is going to continue to get better now that we have bigger, more athletic guys taking over. 

It's going to be interesting to see who takes that RG spot 

Also interested to see if any of the OL make a push for all conference honors 

34 minutes ago, uberism said:

The way Benhart got beat outside last year at times, he better work more on quickness and less on strength this offseason, or someone (Banks?) may step up and challenge for his spot.

2 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

The way Benhart got beat outside last year at times, he better work more on quickness and less on strength this offseason, or someone (Banks?) may step up and challenge for his spot.

He was one of the better freshman OL in the Big Ten. By the time he is a senior he will have developed a lot. 

1 hour ago, uberism said:

Not too excited on who is gonna fill that RG spot. Luto could very well be the best man for the job there. 

• Plus1 1

59 minutes ago, uberism said:

He was one of the better freshman OL in the Big Ten. By the time he is a senior he will have developed a lot. 

I agree....I'm just fearful that our S&C program did no favours to Matt Farniok by adding too much weight at the expense of nimbleness.  With Benhart already challenged to move laterally very quickly due to his huge frame, S&C better not encumber him with any more weight that would further slow his already heavy feet.

On 2/13/2021 at 8:23 AM, RichardHangslow said:

Matt Davison is that you?  Matt......did you get drunk and start posting again? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
On 2/13/2021 at 7:08 PM, Canadian Fan said:

I agree....I'm just fearful that our S&C program did no favours to Matt Farniok by adding too much weight at the expense of nimbleness.  With Benhart already challenged to move laterally very quickly due to his huge frame, S&C better not encumber him with any more weight that would further slow his already heavy feet.

Farniok was ok here and there, but when it came to having to move his feet to get into position, he couldn't do that very well at any point in his career. 

• Plus1 1