Year 4 Expectations

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I have Year One expectations. That's both good and bad.

It's almost like Scott Frost had a three season false start. The part you can blame on Riley is gone. Expectations have hit bottom. Let's start over.

We have a good recruiting class. I think the team will look and play young, but if that means deserving young talent is stepping up and playing well, a lot of mistakes will be forgiven. My only demand is forward motion. And excitement. Ears pinned back, nothing-to-lose-everything-to-gain excitement.

I can't attach a win total to that.  We just need to look better than last season. Even with young talent. Especially with young talent. That's not asking too much. 

Couldn't agree more - well said.

3 hours ago, Redux said:

FYI - This isn't a Facebook group where we can only spew sunshine and rainbows about the Huskers.  We have honest critical discussions here.

Speaking of, got a week long mute on HUSKER ARMY for a one word comment that said "dammit".

Replying to the bold text... I'd say, you have honest critical opinion BS. In other words, arm chair quarterbacking on young men trying everything they can to be relative and useful to a team being coached by highly capable and much more knowledgeable than any one here that's stating their "critical opinion".

To constantly post negatives and then discuss those negatives as if there's real factual knowledge is well... Rather Narcissistic, yes? I'd much prefer to trust in those actually hired to make the critical decisions and behind closed doors have the honest critical discussions.

(edit) these blowhard threads with 20 pages of criticism is more than enough to dishearten anyone that might become a fan. in your "critical discretionary view, explain to me how any of what is said here is or will affect anything the coaches do? Critical Discussions!!! Not that makes me laugh.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Replying to the bold text... I'd say, you have honest critical opinion BS. In other words, arm chair quarterbacking on young men trying everything they can to be relative and useful to a team being coached by highly capable and much more knowledgeable than any one here that's stating their "critical opinion".

To constantly post negatives and then discuss those negatives as if there's real factual knowledge is well... Rather Narcissistic, yes? I'd much prefer to trust in those actually hired to make the critical decisions and behind closed doors have the honest critical discussions.

(edit) these blowhard threads with 20 pages of criticism is more than enough to dishearten anyone that might become a fan. in your "critical discretionary view, explain to me how any of what is said here is or will affect anything the coaches do? Critical Discussions!!! Not that makes me laugh.

Yawn 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Loebarth said:

Where has this staff proved "highly capable?"...I hope a great season at UCF is not your response. I want Frost to succeed but every season he and his staff seem to be swimming in the deep end with legs and arms that have fallen asleep.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 3
20 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I have Year One expectations. That's both good and bad.

It's almost like Scott Frost had a three season false start. The part you can blame on Riley is gone. Expectations have hit bottom. Let's start over.

We have a good recruiting class. I think the team will look and play young, but if that means deserving young talent is stepping up and playing well, a lot of mistakes will be forgiven. My only demand is forward motion. And excitement. Ears pinned back, nothing-to-lose-everything-to-gain excitement.

I can't attach a win total to that.  We just need to look better than last season. Even with young talent. Especially with young talent. That's not asking too much. 

So from now on we refer to the first 3 years of the Frost tenure as year -2, -1 and O. Now we are year 1

• Plus1 2

16 hours ago, Loebarth said:

If only zuckerburg ran this board, he wouldn’t allow these hateful conversations to happen 

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So from now on we refer to the first 3 years of the Frost tenure as year -2, -1 and O. Now we are year 1

It worked for Row the Boat Fleck.  Except his Year 1 was Year 0.   In Frost's defense, Minnesota was in a much better spot post Clays and Kill.  Frost had to work a little harder to set the foundation therefore he had to go back to year -2

30 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

12 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

It worked for Row the Boat Fleck.  Except his Year 1 was Year 0.   In Frost's defense, Minnesota was in a much better spot post Clays and Kill.  Frost had to work a little harder to set the foundation therefore he had to go back to year -2

I think that saying this is anything but year 4 is a huge cop out. You play the hand you're dealt, stop making excuses.  Others get it done with less resources than Nebraska, others went through a pandemic also, others have transfers too, so stop blaming the world and start looking in the mirror.  You can't have a losing record in year 4 no matter what you started with, that is not relevant anymore. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think that saying this is anything but year 4 is a huge cop out. You play the hand you're dealt, stop making excuses.  Others get it done with less resources than Nebraska, others went through a pandemic also, others have transfers too, so stop blaming the world and start looking in the mirror.  You can't have a losing record in year 4 no matter what you started with, that is not relevant anymore. 

Name one other team with equal or less resources, with the same experience level on the roster, who even equaled what Nebraska did last year.  Good luck...

Nobody is blaming the world.  Many of us are simply looking at all the facts in front of us.  We were a very inexperienced team who missed a lot of practice time due to things outside of our control. 

I think most agree that next year's expectation is for Nebraska to take a step forward.  That may mean different things to different people but to me it means fewer mistakes and a few more wins- look the part and produce more results.  I'm willing to bet that happens.

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Other then the cupboard being somewhat bare, what mess did Frost inherit from Riley?  I always see this excuse but I dont think it holds much weight.  

Watch the 2016 & 2017 Iowa games...  Iowa both years was an 8 win, un-ranked, team that wasn't anything special offensively.  They put up 40 and 56 points respectively on us.  We have been playing Iowa since 1891.  51 total games.  Those were the two highest point totals for Iowa ever against the Huskers.

That tells enough of the of the story imo.  The cupboard was "somewhat bare" and those remaining were pretty dang soft save a couple of exceptions.  That is enough to consider it a "mess" to inherit imo.

• Plus1 5
29 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Other then the cupboard being somewhat bare, what mess did Frost inherit from Riley?  I always see this excuse but I dont think it holds much weight.  

-Pro style offense in the Midwest with limited access to pro style recruits. changed from a spread and hinders development and restarts recruiting. 
-Changed defensive philosophy completely from even to odd front setting back recruiting and development 

- emphasis on weight room. (Ignoring the rumors of lack of lifting by starters out guys just looked soft and got pushed around. 
- culture fit. Sprinkles not tough minded. Not going to compete with Iowa and wiscy with sprinkles. 

- what it takes to be a champions. Winning mindset.  Champions are forged by hard work and not hoped for. 
- somewhat bare???  Look at the OL guys from Riley. Game is won and lost upfront on both sides of the ball. Riley OL guys were yikes. 

-Barnett, Gaylord, decker no impact

raridon, brokop no impact

-wilson farniok being passed by freshman Frost guys

- Bando, sichterman, walker no impact. 

• Plus1 8
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Name one other team with equal or less resources, with the same experience level on the roster, who even equaled what Nebraska did last year.  Good luck...

Nobody is blaming the world.  Many of us are simply looking at all the facts in front of us.  We were a very inexperienced team who missed a lot of practice time due to things outside of our control. 

I think most agree that next year's expectation is for Nebraska to take a step forward.  That may mean different things to different people but to me it means fewer mistakes and a few more wins- look the part and produce more results.  I'm willing to bet that happens.

1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

-Pro style offense in the Midwest with limited access to pro style recruits. changed from a spread and hinders development and restarts recruiting. 
-Changed defensive philosophy completely from even to odd front setting back recruiting and development 

- emphasis on weight room. (Ignoring the rumors of lack of lifting by starters out guys just looked soft and got pushed around. 
- culture fit. Sprinkles not tough minded. Not going to compete with Iowa and wiscy with sprinkles. 

- what it takes to be a champions. Winning mindset.  Champions are forged by hard work and not hoped for. 
- somewhat bare???  Look at the OL guys from Riley. Game is won and lost upfront on both sides of the ball. Riley OL guys were yikes. 

-Barnett, Gaylord, decker no impact

raridon, brokop no impact

-wilson farniok being passed by freshman Frost guys

- Bando, sichterman, walker no impact. 

I understand what you both are saying.  However, the decision to run off a bunch of kids, tear the program down and bring in all of his guys was Frost's decision.  That is fine, and may turn out to the be the right one yet.  However, you don't get to hide behind inexperience if that was your own choice longer than a couple years.  That doesn't fly with me in year 4.  I need to see improvements in coaching during games, and I need to see wins to believe things are on the right track.  Otherwise we will be back here in a year with people spouting this same stuff about how year 5 is really year 2.  

I won't accept Nebraska football fans just making lists of excuses for years on end, that is flat out lame fellas.  We can look at the facts for sure, but the biggest fact is that if things aren't trending up significantly by year 4 no matter the situation prior we have a large problem on our hands still.  This is completely Frost's team now, with only Frost's guys and Frost's culture.  Riley can't be blamed for the mindset now, if it still sucks then that is on the current staff whether you like that or not.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

I've never understood the argument that Midwest teams and football players aren't speedy and don't know how to drop back and throw the ball.

If this is about the weather, somehow Green Bay manages to run one of the best pro style offenses in the business in Green Bay. In winter. 

The teams we need to beat in the Big 10 feature quarterbacks who can drop back, look off receivers, and complete 65% of their passes to fleet receivers, who come from all corners of America. 

Also, most players you want to recruit dream of playing professional football. Telling them they can play a cold-weather, midwest style of college football less conducive to the NFL isn't a great incentive. 

I think our fanbase greatly underestimates/undersells just how bad of a job Mike Riley did. It's genuinely one of the worst P5 tenures relative to standards at a school in recent memory. He took a team that was consistently in the 20s-30s in SP under Pelini to the 100s in **three years**. Perception-wise, Frost dug his own grave when he talked all that trash when he got hired so he's not blameless, but this wasn't "leaving the cupboard kinda bare." This was ripping the cupboard out of the house, smashing it with a sledgehammer and setting the debris on fire.

• Plus1 6