Year 4 Expectations

13 hours ago, runningblind said:

I think that saying this is anything but year 4 is a huge cop out. You play the hand you're dealt, stop making excuses.  Others get it done with less resources than Nebraska, others went through a pandemic also, others have transfers too, so stop blaming the world and start looking in the mirror.  You can't have a losing record in year 4 no matter what you started with, that is not relevant anymore. 

I’m assuming if we suck again this year we will make more excuses and say year 4 is the new year 0. Pretty soon year 1 will be -5 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And some fans greatly exaggerate the hole Scott Frost was asked to crawl out of. Riley recruiting classes were ranked #30, #26 and #23. Frost improved that with classes ranked #23, #17, and #20.  Either way, the cupboard wasn't bare, much less smashed to bits, and three seasons of your own Top 25 recruiting classes, coaching philosophy, schemes, and player development would be enough to see marked improvement over your predecessor. New coaches are expected to put out dumpsters fires all the time, and do it immediately. That's why they were hired.  

Exactly. We have paid 15 million for like 11 wins 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I am hopeful we turn the corner this year. But I have lost hope and I am tired of getting burned by my high expectations that this is the year. I wanna see legit sustainable results before I get too excited. Some guys on here are just pointing out some legit observations but the sunshine pumpers think they are just being negative. I’m telling you some guys on this board would be making excuses for Frost if it was year 6 and we only had 20 wins. I think you see signs of Frost adjusting the types and sizes of players he is recruiting. So that’s encouraging. One thing I can’t decide. Will his scheme really not work or do we just not have good players. I actually think we don’t have good players and the scheme could work. Answer this. If we had Marietta, lamichael James, receivers Oregon had and solid oline would we be good using this system? I say hell yes. But we don’t. We have sub par oline, s#!tty qb play, no nfl talent at rb or wr 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

I will play devils advocate here.

Frost's best offensive season was due to Riley's Pro-Style guys. 

We had already started moving to a 3-4 under Riley because of Diaco.  

Weight room stuff does have some leeway but they were still lifting, not just up to Epley standards( long story).

Winning culture?  Last I checked,  Riley had a better winning % in his first 3 years. I already know the excuse that will come up for this. 

OL recruiting.  Again, Frost's best year was with guys that were coached for 3 years by Riley and he had a veteran line last year and could have had the same this year but decided not too (I think it will payoff in the long run). 

The covid excuse is just plain stupid.  Every team in the nation went through the same. 

Hard stances while acknowledging the strong counter argument.  

1st year is the Best offense bc Riley recruited skills better than lines. OL is just getting its footing. 

Bobby d defense was not what you call moving to a 34 as in how it is coached.  Maybe in recruiting it gave us a leg up. I think we had to reprogram those kids after the diaco disaster. 

Riley was worse than what we had.  If pelini had rileys first year I think we have a shot at Indy with that schedule.  Frost is better than what we had. 

Frost best year was bc of skills not OL but already stated that. 

covid. Yep never mind didn’t happen gotcha. 

14 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

I think our fanbase greatly underestimates/undersells just how bad of a job Mike Riley did. It's genuinely one of the worst P5 tenures relative to standards at a school in recent memory. He took a team that was consistently in the 20s-30s in SP under Pelini to the 100s in **three years**. Perception-wise, Frost dug his own grave when he talked all that trash when he got hired so he's not blameless, but this wasn't "leaving the cupboard kinda bare." This was ripping the cupboard out of the house, smashing it with a sledgehammer and setting the debris on fire.

Oh give me a break.  That's so much BS. 

I'm sorry, but little b!^@hes like to point fingers at Riley for current problems 3 years after HCSF took over, and they still hasn't won half their games under Frost.  

So keep up the good work about reminding us of past failures prior to HCSF, and all those "so-called" horrible Riley players.  Preach on with the Culture theme and future all conference honor O-Lineman while we try to win 5 or 6 games.  

We going on season 4 with Frost.  We haven't gone a season winning half our games.  That is the real disastrophy. 

And by the way, Husker fans are fully aware of 3 seasons under Coach Riley 2015-2017.  This is 2021 for the record. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

No one had fall or spring prep, thats a tired reason.

Stregnth of schedule is incredibly important, but not as important as not being prepared to play and getting blown out by illinios,  or losing at home to a Minnesota team missing a large chunk of its roster and hadnt playerd in three week.

Apparently you aren't good at following the discussion.  My comment had nothing to do with wins, losses, etc. 

I was referencing Guy's attempt to discredit the rushing yards per game when looking at two seasons.  It's pretty ridiculous to compare rushing stats between the two years. In 2018 we had a 41st ranked schedule with normal pre-season, and Bethune.  Last year we had no prep, a less experienced roster, a 24th ranked difficulty schedule, and played nothing but in conference. 

15 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Thats right, i forgot no other teams in the big ten had new coaches, qbs, sophmores, or freshmans on their team.  They also werent hoping for an impact of their young players.

Just nebraska, and just frost. 

Name another B1G team with the level on inexperience that Nebraska had and what was their record?  

11 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Seemed to me the best team we have had since frost has been here was the second half of year 1 with Riley’s soft s#!tty players 

Again, this is not true. Last year was our best team by the numbers since Pelini's final season, and that was with a much younger roster than we had in 2018

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

Who spent 3 of their years with Riley. 

People on this board want so badly to believe Frost is a better coach than Riley.

He isn't. He's equally as bad but, in my opinion, his excuses are bizarre and make his failures worse.

This board would've had a meltdown if Riley blamed media timeouts or clapping on his teams complete ineptitude. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, J-MAGIC said:

Again, this is not true. Last year was our best team by the numbers since Pelini's final season, and that was with a much younger roster than we had in 2018

What? 

Last year our offense was worse than 2009 and we lost to the backups of a bad Minnesota team. Our starting 3rd year Center is still learning to snap the ball. We have no development from our runningbacks or receivers.

Frost is a garbage coach. Accept it, stop defending the guy, and hope the next hire is the right guy.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1