Year 4 Expectations

9 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Moos' fault with the football program was giving Frost a contract extension for additional years when it was not yet warranted. Frost was already locked in through 2024 with his original contract and for some reason Moos added 2 additional seasons despite the team's poor performance. These lengthy contracts are just one more impediment to bringing in a new coach should that be the desired direction.  

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/big-red-business-an-analysis-of-scott-frost-s-contract#:~:text=Near the end of 2019's,by the end of 2024.

Eh ... Another thing people try to make into a big deal when it's not. Frost has been here three years. Coaches always have a four year deal. So the only difference is if they were going to for him after last season. If not, he'd be exactly where he is now one way or the other. He wasn't getting fired after three years, so it makes no difference. If he wouldn't have gotten the extension then, people would be complaining about a one year extension now. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... Another thing people try to make into a big deal when it's not. Frost has been here three years. Coaches always have a four year deal. So the only difference is if they were going to for him after last season. If not, he'd be exactly where he is now one way or the other. He wasn't getting fired after three years, so it makes no difference. If he wouldn't have gotten the extension then, people would be complaining about a one year extension now. 

His initial contract was a 7-year deal at $5 million a year from what I recall. After his second season at the end of 2019 he still had 5 years left on his contract.  There was no reason to extend him 2 more years at that point and give him another 7 years.  Even after the end of this past season he still would have had 4 years on his original contract and Moos could have waited until the end of this forthcoming school year to make a decision about an extension.  

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, RichardHangslow said:

Honestly I have been thinking about this and I don't know why I answered differently the first time I responded to this thread.

My expectations for Nebraska football is to go undefeated and win the national championship every single year. And I don't move my bar on that.  That should forever remain our goal. 

I’m assuming your first response wasn’t as measured as this one. 

On 3/14/2021 at 10:30 AM, RichardHangslow said:

Honestly I have been thinking about this and I don't know why I answered differently the first time I responded to this thread.

My expectations for Nebraska football is to go undefeated and win the national championship every single year. And I don't move my bar on that.  That should forever remain our goal. 

I knew I liked you. Nebraska 2022 National Champs!

• Fire 1

I don't know anyone who doesn't have this as the ultimate goal for the program.  However, that doesn't mean we can't have small goals along the way of incremental improvement.  If we make it to a bowl game this year are are competing for the division, that's a small incremental goal on our way to the ultimate goal.  If I'm happy or excited that we do that, that doesn't mean my ultimate goal is different than yours.

I had hoped with the addition of Stepp that the offense would lean on him. I was hoping he'd be the back that I thought Mills would be. Lean on him and the TE's and hopefully Omar would be ready to go, with the Montana kid and Betts would being nice threats. I thought having some major pieces on defense coming back would help keep Neb in most games. 6 wins minimum and 8 wins max was kind of what I was thinking/hoping for. That figure was easily within our grasp in 2018 and 2019, I thought this would be the year they'd get bowl eligible and knock off an Iowa or Wisconsin. 

But now with this OU fiasco... I'm thinking 1 or 2 wins. 

Still really curious to see where they go with 2 more transfers. Probably going for a WR, OG, OLB (pass rusher), or backup QB with those two spots. Could still get two more high impact guys like we suspect Toure and Stepp will be. Could drastically help the team. 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Decked said:

Still really curious to see where they go with 2 more transfers. Probably going for a WR, OG, OLB (pass rusher), or backup QB with those two spots. Could still get two more high impact guys like we suspect Toure and Stepp will be. Could drastically help the team. 

I wish we could find a consistent edge rusher.  The D is improving but if we had a monster rusher, it would make all the difference. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know anyone who doesn't have this as the ultimate goal for the program.  However, that doesn't mean we can't have small goals along the way of incremental improvement.  If we make it to a bowl game this year are are competing for the division, that's a small incremental goal on our way to the ultimate goal.  If I'm happy or excited that we do that, that doesn't mean my ultimate goal is different than yours.

yeah..... So in going undefeated I kinda already included all those small little goals that you are talking about....  

• Plus1 1

Great post. Epic username. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

I knew I liked you. Nebraska 2022 National Champs!

Great enthusiasm.  However, let's start with fewer than 40 holding penalties by our offensive line for the season.  An additional layer could be reducing the number of cumulative turnovers by 10+ this season.  No bowl or Big Ten Division Championship necessary.  We can give our Head Coach a bonus for hitting these two marks for the season.

Additionally, and for those that love SP+ rankings, we could offer a bonus for an SP+ ranking of 25 or better.  For this feat, we could offer an automatic 5 year contract extension.  Again, no bowl or division crown is necessary.

We can make it a race to the bottom in terms of standards...

On 3/13/2021 at 11:10 AM, junior4949 said:

Your prediction is more than likely correct.  However, I'm not sure Moos can really be found at fault here.  He landed the two coaches that almost all fans and boosters wanted.  Can he really be held accountable if/when they don't pan out?  Considering we don't know all the in's and out's of ducking OU, I'm not sure he really is at fault.  Who even knows if it was his idea?  It would appear to me that he is doing everything within his power to make sure his coaches do succeed.    

The basketball program was in much better shape before Moos decided to throw his weight around.