Brendan Jaimes - We didn't turn a corner last year

knapplc

SWELL. 

There are significant problems in the locker room. Breaking news, I know.  But it's rare we get people to be so frank about this stuff. 

Q&A With Brenden Jaimes: Senior Bowl Experience, NFL Draft, Nebraska’s Future

The Spun: Was it tough adjusting to playing at an empty Memorial Stadium this past season? 

BJ: For me personally, no. I prepare the same way I always prepare, whether there are fans in the stands or not. If you’re not mentally and physically jacked up to play a football game at Nebraska, like if you need fans to get jacked up, you shouldn’t be playing at Nebraska. I think that has to do with the culture problems we’ve had there. As far as changes to preparation and mindset, there weren’t really any for me. I was going to give my all every single play because nothing was guaranteed this past season. I just wanted to make the most out of every opportunity. 

The Spun: You mentioned culture problems. Is that something still lingering, or do you feel like Nebraska turned the corner this past season? 

BJ: In my opinion, we didn’t turn any corners really. It was another frustrating season with things not clicking, and a lot of that started in the offseason. Older guys like me, Adrian and Matt tried to get those things right, but it just never clicked for some of those guys. As frustrating as it was, we had to go out there and continue practicing on Monday and get ready for a game each week. We did the best we could with the guys we had, but it just wasn’t enough. 

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

SWELL. 

There are significant problems in the locker room. Breaking news, I know.  But it's rare we get people to be so frank about this stuff. 

The Spun: Was it tough adjusting to playing at an empty Memorial Stadium this past season? 

BJ: For me personally, no. I prepare the same way I always prepare, whether there are fans in the stands or not. If you’re not mentally and physically jacked up to play a football game at Nebraska, like if you need fans to get jacked up, you shouldn’t be playing at Nebraska. I think that has to do with the culture problems we’ve had there. As far as changes to preparation and mindset, there weren’t really any for me. I was going to give my all every single play because nothing was guaranteed this past season. I just wanted to make the most out of every opportunity. 

The Spun: You mentioned culture problems. Is that something still lingering, or do you feel like Nebraska turned the corner this past season? 

BJ: In my opinion, we didn’t turn any corners really. It was another frustrating season with things not clicking, and a lot of that started in the offseason. Older guys like me, Adrian and Matt tried to get those things right, but it just never clicked for some of those guys. As frustrating as it was, we had to go out there and continue practicing on Monday and get ready for a game each week. We did the best we could with the guys we had, but it just wasn’t enough. 

Is it really that frank or are the guys behind him ready and possibly better?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, TheSker said:

What do 2017 -2020 records have to do with Corcoran and Banks being ready in 2021?

A 16-28 record, including the mess that we've seen on the field spanning two coaching staffs, lends a lot of credence to culture problems, especially when one of our top players speaks so openly about it. 

I think a better question is why would anyone think Corcoran or Banks are better than Jaimes, a guy likely to be drafted?

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

SWELL. 

I mean this isn’t news, unless a person reads more into his answer than may actually be there. It could be that the problems are more profound and deeper or maybe he was just venting about the handful of problems we know existed. We had enough players leave or transfer out that his comments may only apply to them. Take the WR position as an example. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say there were culture problems there, look at how many left, heck, just look at the Florida kids.

It was obvious we haven’t turned any huge corner yet but I get the feeling a bunch of what was preventing that may no longer be an issue. Or, it could still be a complete sh#tshow :dunno

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

@TheSker, I'm not sure his comments were directed at his fellow linemen necessarily. @jjhusker is right in his response, this isn't anything new.

I would believe that he might have been referring to the younger guys (notably the receivers group) who have since removed a number of players at that position. There was really no excuse for not knowing the playbook by the time we started the season in late October. Reportedly, we had to deal with that for a lot of the season along with a host of other off the field issues. It may also help that instead of force-feeding the ball to the smallest player on the field XX times per game. We won't know if this team is turning the corner until we play games again. It should help knowing who the bulk of our starters will be already and adding quite a bit of talent but until the games kick off, we're stuck waiting to see the development.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

@TheSker, I'm not sure his comments were directed at his fellow linemen necessarily. @jjhusker is right in his response, this isn't anything new.

I would believe that he might have been referring to the younger guys (notably the receivers group) who have since removed a number of players at that position. There was really no excuse for not knowing the playbook by the time we started the season in late October. Reportedly, we had to deal with that for a lot of the season along with a host of other off the field issues. It may also help that instead of force-feeding the ball to the smallest player on the field XX times per game. We won't know if this team is turning the corner until we play games again. It should help knowing who the bulk of our starters will be already and adding quite a bit of talent but until the games kick off, we're stuck waiting to see the development.

I don't think his comments were directed at his fellow linemen.

I think his fellow linemen are progressing very well.

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I'm fairly confident the vast majority of our culture issue is found on one side of the ball. Considering practically all of the defensive players were welcomed back and ready for more while on offense you saw a mass exodus. Hoping we finally have a clean slate on the offensive side of the ball. 

I agree with you, other than a “mass exodus” is a stretch.  

Identity, Identity, Identity...

What I can say with confidence is, Chin's defensive scheme has been consistent from the start and seemingly as a result the defense now has it's identity. On the other hand, what we though would be a strength, (Remember Frost stating he hoped they'd have to adjust to us comment) has actually been a disappointment and might I argue that is due to a lack of consistency thereby resulting in no identity. If you're identity is stretching the field, than do it. If it's power run game, than do it. If it's RPO to throw at TE, than do it but don't do one thing one year and another thing next year!!