Brendan Jaimes - We didn't turn a corner last year

knapplc

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Foster and Farmer were Pelini recruits 

Gulp.

Frost has made it clear that we were too small, especially on the OL.

There is a lot to be excited about on the offensive line.

It would be interesting to see the name of every offensive lineman recruited by Riley and what their ultimate impact was for us.

So they played how many years under Bo?  Gulp......

You amaze me.  If you hadn't been posting in the years previous to Frost being HC, I'd swear you were Frost....

I couldn't stand Riley, but what was his record after 3 years?  And Frost's.....

• Plus1 5
25 minutes ago, lo country said:

So they played how many years under Bo?  Gulp......

You amaze me.  If you hadn't been posting in the years previous to Frost being HC, I'd swear you were Frost....

I couldn't stand Riley, but what was his record after 3 years?  And Frost's.....

Ol' .500 was 19-19

Frost is 12-20

Ol' .500 was even 7-0 at one point.....

11 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

Call me a koolaid drinker if you like, but if we can get "snaps", red zone offensive playcalling and kickoffs figured out, I think on their own that will yield a better than .500 result.

It's more simple than that. Get a deep passing game going and better redzone execution and they had a winning season in 2020. WOuld have defeated MN and NW, for examples. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, uberism said:

It's more simple than that. Get a deep passing game going and better redzone execution and they had a winning season in 2020. WOuld have defeated MN and NW, for examples. 

Deep passing depends on multiple things.  An OL that can block, QB who can throw deep and a receiver with speed (and hands).  Not disagreeing. It's like wishing in one hand and crapping in the other and seeing which one fills up first.  A lot of wishing parts need to come together to get us a deep passing game.  Red zone, comes down to OL play and running game. I do think we have/had the TE's to do a lot of damage there.  With the addition of Lubick, TE touches did improve a lot last year. The most target/touches yet with approx 22% IIRC.  I am hoping that continues and was not a result of fewer receivers.....  As will actually acknowledging special teams has to actually participate in the game.  

We should have won against Minnie. had we simply run the ball.  That loss was squarely in Frost and the play calling more than any game this year.  True RB's had 13 carries that game.  Should have pounded the rock from start to finish against their lacking run D.  And being down 33 players....That was coaching (or lack of) that day.

I am unsure if any team has lost as many close (TD or less) games the past 3 years than NU.  I truly think that ST's actually being coached is the quickest way to improve our record.  D will carry the team and AM and TE's will (read should) be what we lean on until our RB/WR get up to speed.  TONS of potential in the receiver room.  More than Frost has had yet.  Hoping we actually have a full spring and fall practice schedule.  We will need it.  Depth is an issue as is development, but I hope we ID the "starters" ASAP and really start developing some chemistry between AM and the projected guys first and foremost.  Develop the depth, but not at the expense of trying to give everyone equal reps until game week.    

• Plus1 1
On 2/12/2021 at 9:32 AM, teachercd said:

Also, if you are interested.  This is amazing

I was doing some freshmen football a few years ago, we were 0-8 and getting killed, letting up over 20 a game.  I literally installed this in pre-game, in the meeting room, showing them how to do it just using the marker board.  Ended up losing the game in OT 6-0.

It might not be great at the MS level but I think it would still work because of the difficulty with blocking the "dogs".

I just used two calls, Loop (Ends go out, Dogs go in) and Pinch (Ends crash in, Dogs go out). Two calls was all we needed and if you have low level kids that you have a hard time getting on the field...they make great ends and great dogs in this system because they are only asked to go in or out.

You are essentially blitzing your way into the 46 defense w/out of position LB support.  If I could make 1 simple suggestion, twisting your weakside ED is redundant,  Your weakside B is already playing contain & he's prob one of your better athletes.  If you slanted the weakside E & blitzed your weakside B off the edge, now you are in the 46 on the backside w/your D in position to support everything you could face.  

23 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

You are essentially blitzing your way into the 46 defense w/out of position LB support.  If I could make 1 simple suggestion, twisting your weakside ED is redundant,  Your weakside B is already playing contain & he's prob one of your better athletes.  If you slanted the weakside E & blitzed your weakside B off the edge, now you are in the 46 on the backside w/your D in position to support everything you could face.  

Funny you say that, we actually did have that call in I just never used it.

It was a really solid defense for us.  I am done coaching football now so I won't be using it even again.  

On 2/13/2021 at 1:57 PM, Canadian Fan said:

If Cam can solidify the snaps, that's probably worth two additional wins all on its own as some of those bad snaps were absolute drive killers and from a momentum standpoint, totally killed the team's energy (and gave the other teams huge boosts).

Idk if him getting that equates to wins but it would essentially get him drafted pretty high and that's important. 

• 3 weeks later...