Statehood for Puerto Rico and/or DC?? Other possible states

Statehood  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Maybe I should have added Greenland as a state  option!:):blink:

Trump acted like people of PR weren't citizens and seemed willing to swap PR for Greenland.  :facepalm:

I think PR should be a state and and DC should have the representation it deserves - as a state or as a part of Maryland. 

I doubt the other territories will ever be given serious consideration of statehood. 

PR has over 3,000,000 people.  it would be a viable state.     guam is the next biggest with 168,000 population.   or roughly 1/3 the population of our least populated state (wyoming)   there are 3 other territories that have permanent inhabitants.   the rest of our territories are not populated.   just small atolls in the pacific.   gilligans isle would have a better chance of gaining statehood than they would.

• Plus1 2

On 2/20/2021 at 9:20 AM, Archy1221 said:

Schumer just said he does not agree that PR should be a state

that's because pueto rico has a non-voting republican representative in the house now.   .making puerto rico a state could hurt the dems and help the republicans.   

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Outside of the left picking up a lot more voters, what would be the benefit to this country to add Puerto Rico as a state?

"The left" probably wouldn't be picking up more votes as has been stated a couple times in here. Also, framing the question this way is a s#!t world view. We shouldn't just do things because they benefit us. We should do them because they help others and our world, and because it's the right thing to do.

If PR were added as a state 3.1 million people would now have a voice in their national governance (sounds like something big from 1776). They would also receive more Medicare funding if they were a state, and I think they would also end up paying federal income tax.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting statement since, I believe, the non-voting representative from PR is a Republican.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/09/09/puerto-rico-statehood-politics-democrats-republicans-senate-409191

Seems that while mainland Puerto Ricans tend to vote liberal, those on the PR island do carry conservative values. Which makes sense, because, as I've said on here before, the Hispanics I know have a lot of conservative values. I've long suggested that the GOP embrace the influx of Mexicans into our country. 

BUT, their political leanings make no difference to me. I'd have to be convinced that statehood would be beneficial. This country has enough debt, not sure we need to take on a state with a 44% poverty rate. 

If we're itching to add a state, add Guam. Less poverty, and a much greater strategic option, I would think.

45 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/09/09/puerto-rico-statehood-politics-democrats-republicans-senate-409191

Seems that while mainland Puerto Ricans tend to vote liberal, those on the PR island do carry conservative values. Which makes sense, because, as I've said on here before, the Hispanics I know have a lot of conservative values. I've long suggested that the GOP embrace the influx of Mexicans into our country. 

BUT, their political leanings make no difference to me. I'd have to be convinced that statehood would be beneficial. This country has enough debt, not sure we need to take on a state with a 44% poverty rate. 

If we're itching to add a state, add Guam. Less poverty, and a much greater strategic option, I would think.

So, maybe we should start by dispersing with the idea that the only reason Democrats support statehood is to get more votes.

I completely agree with you on the bolded.  It totally baffles me that the Republican party hasn't cherished the idea of fixing our immigration system so that Mexican immigrants can be welcomed legally.  But....they refuse to do it and fight it every step of the way.  The only explanation I have for that is that it would piss off their current base that doesn't want those dirty brown people coming to America.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, maybe we should start by dispersing with the idea that the only reason Democrats support statehood is to get more votes.

I completely agree with you on the bolded.  It totally baffles me that the Republican party hasn't cherished the idea of fixing our immigration system so that Mexican immigrants can be welcomed legally.  But....they refuse to do it and fight it every step of the way.  The only explanation I have for that is that it would piss off their current base that doesn't want those dirty brown people coming to America.

I don't know that a person would still be able to discount that. The promises of financial aid, in various forms, can convince people of a lot of things....

How many people do you actually know that don't want "dirty brown people" in this country? I live in a very rural, very white place, and I don't know that I've heard a statement like that from anyone. We have quite a few Mexicans in our area, and they seem to fit in just fine. The most negative thing I hear said about them is complaints of their loud music, and cars sitting so low. Culturally, they fit. Blue collar workers, a lot of times with a background in farming. 

17 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't know that a person would still be able to discount that. The promises of financial aid, in various forms, can convince people of a lot of things....

How many people do you actually know that don't want "dirty brown people" in this country? I live in a very rural, very white place, and I don't know that I've heard a statement like that from anyone. We have quite a few Mexicans in our area, and they seem to fit in just fine. The most negative thing I hear said about them is complaints of their loud music, and cars sitting so low. Culturally, they fit. Blue collar workers, a lot of times with a background in farming. 

Well, I know a lot of people who cheered on Trump when he demonized those dirty infested brown people as a way of garnering their support.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, I know a lot of people who cheered on Trump when he demonized those dirty infested brown people as a way of garnering their support.

Really? Huh. Not my experience. Admittedly, I'm excited for the 2nd generation Hispanic population. They're around my age, and a lot of the ones I'm friends with, or know, are my kind of people. Blue collar, "country" folk. They line up with most people's (in our area) ideology in most all ways. Religiously, politically. Similar hobbies. All that.

• Plus1 1
Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Really? Huh. Not my experience. Admittedly, I'm excited for the 2nd generation Hispanic population. They're around my age, and a lot of the ones I'm friends with, or know, are my kind of people. Blue collar, "country" folk. 

Yes, and I live in a heavily hispanic area.  AND...these people have hispanic friends.  BUT.....when they aren't around, they sit around talking about how we great Trump is because he's stopping the infestation of all those Mexicans that are all criminals and bringing disease into the country.  Wonder where they got that idea.