Husker Assistants Get Extensions

Mavric

Ten Nebraska football assistant coaches officially have two-year contracts again.

Nine of Scott Frost's 10 on-field assistants, plus head strength and conditioning coach Zach Duval, signed extension agreements last week that take their contracts through the 2022 season. The World-Herald received the contract extensions Monday morning via a records request. The only contract not included in the extension bundle was that of defensive line coach Tony Tuioti, but an NU official said that contract is merely awaiting final signatures.

All but one of the 2021 salaries will remain as they were during the 2020 season. Mike Dawson was previously scheduled to get a salary bump from $325,000 to $500,000 on March 1, 2022, and another salary bump to $550,000 on Jan. 1, 2022. Should Dawson remain with the team through April 30, 2022, he then gets a $100,000 retention bonus, which would bring his total compensation up to $650,000 for that year. 

The rest of the assistants signed standard extensions that run through Dec. 31, 2022. Frost told reporters in late January he liked his staff as compiled and wanted to bring all 10 back. 

• Thanks 1

Ok. I hope Frost knows what he is doing and I am hoping this staff can all work together to turn things around for the Huskers. It is all on the head coach if they don't. To my way of thinking this next season will be critical....this coaching staff must produce an "improved" product or their positions should be in jeopardy......including the head coach. How much worse can it get than what we have endured these last three years? Expecting championships would be too optimistic, however at the VERY least a winning season and a bowl game should be the minimal expectation. This next year will be the fourth for Frost and it is imperative that he begin to show signs he may be able to turn this around. I still feel Frost is the right man for the job but the bottom line is he alone must find a way to get it done....he is the leader of the team....he alone is the one who directs all decisions regarding players and coaches so it is on him to get it done. 

I'm not going to attempt to second guess his decisions about coaching staff or what players he recruits and utilizes as he sees fit,  but having said that he is entirely accountable for this one thing.....wins versus losses, that is entirely on him. Get it done Scott, Go Big Red!

• Plus1 1

Like to see Tony, Fish and Ruud get some incentive base or salary increase. Really thought the DL would have takena step back, but didn't.  IMO, The ILB's played the best they have since Frost's arrival.  The DB's are one area that continue to play well and are probably the deepest and most experienced roster spot on the team.  The D, while not a top 20 unit, has steadily improved each year.  If they could just start even breaking even on TO's......

• Plus1 1
  • 3 months later...