Political Hyprocrisy & a Place to Park Your Whataboutism

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Are you serious right now? The extent to which she was offline is the hypocrisy and not the actual point of her comments?

No, I don't care about her being a hypocrite, we all are hypocrites.  

We all lie too.

Just thought it was an odd thing to  lie about.  

Like what does she gain with that lie?  

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

No, I don't care about her being a hypocrite, we all are hypocrites.  

We all lie too.

Just thought it was an odd thing to  lie about.  

Like what does she gain with that lie?  

It's an expression, but even if she's straight-up lying, it has no bearing on the point of her comments. I guess you parked your whataboutism in the right thread though.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

It's an expression, but even if she's straight-up lying, it has no bearing on the point of her comments. I guess you parked your whataboutism in the right thread though.

It is a straight up lie.  And again, like I said, I don't care about her being a hypocrite.  

I would have said the same comments she did, it is the perfect time for her to rip on someone.  I am literally on your side.  

31 minutes ago, Enhance said:

3) It's too often an avoidance tactic in order to evade a question or issue 

This is the # 1 thing I dislike about whataboutism and I think the #1 reason people do it.   Instead of pausing and giving consideration to what the other party may have said and perhaps changing one's mind, it is a defensive measure to protect one's beliefs even if deep down you might have doubts about those beliefs.  It is hard to say "I was wrong and your are right'.  Pride gets in the way and we attach personal value to our beliefs - however beliefs can change over time while value shouldn't

Sorry I went a bit philosophical on that post.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This is the # 1 thing I dislike about whataboutism and I think the #1 reason people do it.   Instead of pausing and giving consideration to what the other party may have said and perhaps changing one's mind, it is a defensive measure to protect one's beliefs even if deep down you might have doubts about those beliefs.  It is hard to say "I was wrong and your are right'.  Pride gets in the way and we attach personal value to our beliefs - however beliefs can change over time while value shouldn't

Sorry I went a bit philosophical on that post.

People hear when they want to hear, we all do that.  I think you have to look at whataboutism (by the way, that is so f#&%ing lame) the way we Husker fans look at sports.

We tend to think WE are the smart fans and we know how things should be done and other programs are stupid.  

When we joined the Big Ten all we talked about was how big and slow the Big Ten players were and how our Texas recruits were going to run around them...after 10 years of being lame we know want the big a$$ dudes instead.  But, we did all we could to protect our old beliefs for a long a$$ time.

25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

When we joined the Big Ten all we talked about was how big and slow the Big Ten players were and how our Texas recruits were going to run around them...after 10 years of being lame we know want the big a$$ dudes instead.  But, we did all we could to protect our old beliefs for a long a$$ time.

Seems like I remember a coach saying, "We don't need to adapt to the Big 10, The Big 10 will need to adapt to us".   A bit of smugness that has come back to bite us the past 3 years. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

The issue is kicking someone when they are down, like Tom Cruise did to Wilford Brimley in The Firm.

I don't really have an issue with it, I would do the same thing.  Most of us would.

Yea, cause **** Wilford Brimley, am I right? 

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Seems like I remember a coach saying, "We don't need to adapt to the Big 10, The Big 10 will need to adapt to us".   A bit of smugness that has come back to bite us the past 3 years. 

I forgot about that!

I can still remember how our super fast Texas guys would going to be impossible for the slow a$$ Iowa team to catch.  

5 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Can you provide what she said that was hypocritical? All I can find is her criticizing the governor of Texas, which seems pretty appropriate.

https://www.businessinsider.com/aoc-rips-texas-governor-blaming-storm-outages-green-new-deal-2021-2

But from what I read is seems as though she isn’t telling the truth.  Texas doesn’t run on 90% coal/natural gas.   That may be 90% of the capacity, which is different. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

But from what I read is seems as though she isn’t telling the truth.  Texas doesn’t run on 90% coal/natural gas.   That may be 90% of the capacity, which is different. 

First, her point is that Texas's governor is falsely blaming the Green New Deal and wind power. Maybe you should address that as it's the main point of what she's saying. 

Second, she said "Texas runs 80-90% on fossil fuels". An ERCOT spokesman said that the wind power accounted for less than 13% of the power loss, which is 80-90% not being wind, but she forgot to include nuclear. So while she is not exactly correct, it's a fairly close comment.

These failing sources largely included nuclear plants, coal plants and thermal energy generators. Frozen wind turbines were a factor, too, but Woodfin said wind shutdowns accounted for less than 13% of the outages.

“It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,” Woodfin said Tuesday, noting that thermal sources accounted for nearly double the number of gigawatts offline compared with renewable sources like wind.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Maybe she should get her %'s as accurate as possible?

That is what I would do, actually I probably wouldn't.

In a perfect world, she really should. But in that perfect world, we'd be discussing the Texas governor she's criticizing as being completely wrong and disingenuous.

• Plus1 1
Just now, RedDenver said:

In a perfect world, she really should. But in that perfect world, we'd be discussing the Texas governor she's criticizing as being completely wrong and disingenuous.

Yeah, that is true.  Look, all these guys/gals are liars and hypocrites and fakes and phonies, they are kissing a baby while stealing their lollipop (Name that movie).   

• Plus1 1