Bring back the Fullback !

AFC

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Every year commentators watch Kyle Shannahan running an offense with FB Kyle Juszczyk as a lead blocker, unguarded receiver, and occasional short yardage back and wonder out loud why more teams don't do this. It makes nothing but sense. 

The one that has had 3 losing seasons in 4 chances? I admit the winning season was phenomenal, but I think it had a lot to do with a stellar defense and a generational TE. I think most styles of offense can work if you get the right pieces, but IMO the ones that utilize a fullback have a smaller margin for error. I don't know how to measure that so pretty clearly subjective - I don't mind it as a change up, but I just don't see it working as well as it used to. Definitely limits the ceiling on a team, although over the past couple years I've started caring more about the floor. The ceiling seems pretty far.

• Plus1 1
On 2/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, Husker in WI said:

The one that has had 3 losing seasons in 4 chances? I admit the winning season was phenomenal, but I think it had a lot to do with a stellar defense and a generational TE. I think most styles of offense can work if you get the right pieces, but IMO the ones that utilize a fullback have a smaller margin for error. I don't know how to measure that so pretty clearly subjective - I don't mind it as a change up, but I just don't see it working as well as it used to. Definitely limits the ceiling on a team, although over the past couple years I've started caring more about the floor. The ceiling seems pretty far.

There's pretty much nobody in football who doesn't acknowledge Shanahan's offensive savvy and play-calling. He inherited a Riley size dumpster fire and the only season where he had a healthy above average quarterback, he took them to the Super Bowl. 

The topic was fullbacks. Shanahan uses them very effectively, one of the few coaches who does. Not sure what you mean by margin of error. Juszczyk is simply an extra weapon utilized for about 30% of the plays, including vintage fullback executions and wide receiver routes that catch defenses off-guard. 

It's all good.