***NHL Hockey Thread***

JJ Husker

14 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Damn shame Colorado and Vegas won't meet in the WCF

With the re-seeding I think there is a possibility they could meet in the Stanley Cup Finals, right?

Edit: Never mind. I'm dumb

• Haha 1
On 5/11/2021 at 9:33 AM, GSG said:

East Division is set: #1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs #4 NY Islanders; #2 Washington Capitals vs #3 Boston Bruins

Central is set: #1 Carolina Hurricanes vs #4 Nashville Predators; #2 Florida Panthers vs #4 Tampa Bay Lightning 

All the other playoff spots have been claimed, but there is still some seeding to work out:

North: #1 Toronto Maple Leafs vs #4 Winnipeg Jets/Montreal Canadiens; #2 Edmonton Oilers vs #3 Montreal Canadiens/Winnipeg Jets

West: #1 Vegas Golden Knights/Colorado Avalanche vs #4 St Louis Blues; #2 Knights/Avs/Minnesota Wild vs #3 Wild/Avs

Playoffs start Saturday, May 15th 

Jets clinched the #3 spot in the north. Only division left to settle is the West:

Clinching scenarios 

The Vegas Golden Knights will clinch the Presidents' Trophy and No. 1 seed in the Honda West Division:

- If their points earned against the San Jose Sharks exceeds the Colorado Avalanche's points earned against the Los Angeles Kings (Vegas' 2 to Colorado's 0; Vegas' 2 to Colorado's 1; or Vegas' 1 to Colorado's 0)

The Avalanche will clinch the Presidents' Trophy and No. 1 seed in the West:

- If they defeat the Kings in any fashion and the Sharks defeat the Golden Knights in regulation

The Toronto Maple Leafs will remain in Presidents' Trophy contention:

- If they defeat the Ottawa Senators in any fashion and the Sharks defeat the Golden Knights in regulation and the Kings defeat the Avalanche in any fashion.

https://www.nhl.com/news/stanley-cup-playoffs-buzz-news-and-notes-may-12/c-324617854

3 hours ago, GSG said:

Jets clinched the #3 spot in the north. Only division left to settle is the West:

https://www.nhl.com/news/stanley-cup-playoffs-buzz-news-and-notes-may-12/c-324617854

Or more simply, if the Avs win their two remaining games vs LA Kings they will earn the first seed and win the President's cup. It gets more convoluted if the Avs only get 3 points or less against the King's.....but they're getting all 4 points at home. No way they let the King's stand in their way of home ice now.

You really need to become an Avs fan @GSG. They are so fun to watch.

I'm hoping for another quick and decisive Avs win tonight. They scored 3 in the 1st and 3 in the 2nd last night. Up 6-0 after 2, then they just dumped and played D for the 6-0 shutout. The Kings can't be too motivated at this point. I hope....because I'm going hard on the Avs in the first period again tonight. They should want to shut the door early and sort of take it easy for the last half of the game.

Anybody who didn't absolutely love game 1 of Lightning-Panthers is a sports hater. If you missed it, do yourselves a favor and watch the rest of the series. Those teams hate each other and they both took it up about 5 notches for the playoffs. Best game I've watched in a very long time.

26 minutes ago, GSG said:

I didn't get to see much of the Pens game. I did catch them tying it late in the 3rd and then losing late in the 1st OT period. Playoff hockey is not good for my heart 

I am serious, if you like hockey at all, you need to watch every game of the Panthers-Lightning series. If possible, try to find a replay of game 1. It was awesome.

Oh, and GO AVS! :P

Wednesday, May 19

Game 1:  Jets at Oilers - 9 p.m. ET  NBCSN, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
Game 2:  Blues at Avalanche  - 10:30 p.m. ET     CNBC, SN360, TVA Sports

I like Edmonton.  I also like the Blues, but I think @JJ Husker JJ's Avs are going to win a lot more than just this series.

• JJ Husker changed the title to ***NHL Hockey Thread***