***NHL Hockey Thread***

JJ Husker

My heart can’t take this. Game 2 tied 2-2. Gonna get some bonus hockey now. Vegas came to play tonight. Grubauer has been a brick wall so far, otherwise this series would already be 1-1.

Edit- well not a lot of bonus hockey. Avs win it 2 mins into OT. Really good game.

If the Avs don’t pull their head out of their a$$ Vegas will end this series in 6 games. Avs have been completely out worked for 9 periods in a row now. Only reason its 2-2 is because Grubauer stole game #2 for them. Top line has been completely MIA.

16 hours ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

Need to see a totally different Avs team tonight vs. the garbage that has been the last two games. Top line has to show up, they haven't done much at all these last two games. Hopefully Grubauer is still on his game, dude has been lights out!

Well the Avs showed up and finally outplayed Vegas......except for taking their foot off the neck in the 3rd period and one brain fart in OT. Top line still struggling though. VGK has absolutely smothered MacKinnon but that line has to find a way to break lose and get some pucks in the net. Their backs are against the wall now. Have to take one off the Knights there and then win game 7 at home. I know they can do it.....but will they?

Avs choke in the playoffs again. I mean Vegas is very good so I shouldn’t take anything away from them but I hate Vegas so....

Avs have to get a little tougher and more physical if they want to compete with teams like that. Vegas has the key for negating their speed and a pure finesse game isn’t worth much when you’re getting out muscled and are sloppy with the puck.

Oh well, I bet on 4 teams to win the cup at the beginning of the season; Maple Leafs and Avs are done but still looking very good with Knights +800 and Bolts +900. At least I can pull for Tampa now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 4:46 PM, AZRaiderH8r said:

Interesting to see that the Avs are the early favorites to win the cup next year. I had to break it to my son that his beloved Sabres have worse odds than the expansion Kraken, who doesn't even have a team yet. Ouch!

Yeah the NHL expansion draft rules really favor new teams. And Vegas was still protected from losing players to expansion 3 years later…..  It doesn’t help that the Sabres were just plain bad this year. I don’t think the Kraken will be the next Golden Knights but they’ll be pretty respectable.

• Plus1 1

Some Avalanche centric off season news.

Avs lose Donskoi to the Kraken expansion draft. Could’ve been worse but still a loss for the Avs.

Avs finally sign the captain Gabe Landeskog to a contract mere hours before he becomes UFA. 8 year $56M with annual cap hit of $7M. Glad they got the deal done. Will keep probably the best line (Mackinnon-Rantanen-Landeskog) in the league together for at least one more year.

Kraken sign Avs goalie Phillip Grubauer, a Vezina trophy finalist, to a 6 year $35.4M deal. Colorado apparently thinks he is replaceable and they’re probably right. 6 years is too long of a contract for a 30 year old goalie who played behind one of the top defensive teams in the league.

In head scratching stunning news, the Vegas Golden Knights trade Vezina trophy winner goalie Marc Andre Fleury to the Chicago Blackhawks for some unknown lower level forward…..and Fleury had no idea, he found out he’d been traded on Twitter. :facepalm:  His cap hit was only $7M per year with one year left. He says he won’t play in Chicago. I’m dreaming but hoping the Avs can somehow pick him up. Avs have $12.5M in cap space left and need to sign a goalie, Jost and Saad (hopefully) still. Mackinnon comes up for a new contract next year, maybe two years.

• JJ Husker changed the title to ***NHL Hockey Thread***