***NHL Hockey Thread***

JJ Husker

I don’t know if there is much interest in hockey on Huskerboard but thought I’d start a thread where some discussion could take place.

I’ve really been enjoying this season so far. Probably for two main reasons, sports viewing has been somewhat limited/erratic due to Covid but mostly because I’m really impressed with how the NHL is handling this season. Dividing the league into 4 divisions and having the teams only face division opponents for the whole regular season has basically made every series the equivalent of a traditional playoff series. Teams are facing each other 2-3-4 games in a row. This is great for hockey fans as the typical bad blood builds up over the course of back to back games. The games get more chippy and the stakes are raised. It’s like playoff hockey but for the whole season.

This coming weekend, Saturday, would be a good time to start watching if you haven’t been. The NHL Outdoors series is having the Avs and Golden Knights play outdoors on the banks of Lake Tahoe. Should be a good time.

My predictions for division winners;

West- Avalanche (because I’m a fan and they’re scary good when healthy) alternate- Golden Knights

Central- Lightning

East- Bruins (with Islanders, Flyers & Capitals all possible)

North- Maple Leafs

I love hockey.  Avs fan here too. So far they haven't been fully healthy this year. Landeskog and Makar on the shelf now, MacKinnon before that.

Are they planning a bubble for the playoffs again? I thought it worked well but miss the atmosphere of the playoffs.  I still think playoff hockey is as good as it gets in sports.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I love hockey.  Avs fan here too. So far they haven't been fully healthy this year. Landeskog and Makar on the shelf now, MacKinnon before that.

Are they planning a bubble for the playoffs again? I thought it worked well but miss the atmosphere of the playoffs.  I still think playoff hockey is as good as it gets in sports.

I'm not sure what the plan is for the playoffs. I'm thinking I've heard some game announcers say they were not going to bubble again but I could be wrong. Can't wait until they can have butts in the seats again.

I know Landy is on Covid protocol but have you heard what's up with Makar? He played right up to the start of their Covid break but hasn't played since they restarted. I don't recall him taking any bad hits or anything.

Man, if they could get everyone healthy and off the protocol they would be dangerous. They played even up with Vegas that last game while missing a bunch of pieces. Get back Landeskog, Makar, EJ, Girard....the only thing to stop them then would be themselves. Grubi has been unbelievable but could really use Francois back. Grubi is gonna need to be spelled with the frequency of games they're playing.

21 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I'm not sure what the plan is for the playoffs. I'm thinking I've heard some game announcers say they were not going to bubble again but I could be wrong. Can't wait until they can have butts in the seats again.

I know Landy is on Covid protocol but have you heard what's up with Makar? He played right up to the start of their Covid break but hasn't played since they restarted. I don't recall him taking any bad hits or anything.

Man, if they could get everyone healthy and off the protocol they would be dangerous. They played even up with Vegas that last game while missing a bunch of pieces. Get back Landeskog, Makar, EJ, Girard....the only thing to stop them then would be themselves. Grubi has been unbelievable but could really use Francois back. Grubi is gonna need to be spelled with the frequency of games they're playing.

"Upper body injury". Gotta love hockey injury reports.  Toews was out for a few also and took Makar's line with Byram. That kid should be good too and Colorado will have a wealth of young good defenseman.

Goalie depth always seems to be an issue, bad luck timing wise.  I hope he can keep playing that well, but you're right he'll need breaks.

11 hours ago, runningblind said:

"Upper body injury". Gotta love hockey injury reports.  Toews was out for a few also and took Makar's line with Byram. That kid should be good too and Colorado will have a wealth of young good defenseman.

Goalie depth always seems to be an issue, bad luck timing wise.  I hope he can keep playing that well, but you're right he'll need breaks.

Just checked the injury report. Should have back Lando, Jost and Calvert. Maker and Girard sound promising too. EJ still out. Miska got the Covid and got assigned to the Eagles. Guess Werner will be backing up Grubi.

3 to 5 guys back. Guess I’ll be betting on the Avs Saturday.....probably would have anyway :lol:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, default_28 said:

I’m a passionate follower of your Ottawa Senators. It’s been a rough few years.

Since you’re both Avs fans I’ll ask a question.

What do you think of the Avs blue pants? I personally find them hideous and ruin the whole look. 

I wouldn't call them hideous but I'm still getting used to the look. Pretty excited to see the Nordiques retros today.

And since you're a Senators fan I'll simply give you respect for admitting that this year :lol:  I've always kinda liked Ottawa but it's been pretty rough for them so far. They do seem to be playing a bit better as of late. You guys desperately need a goalie. I've only watched parts of a couple games and highlights but Murray has not looked good.

5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I wouldn't call them hideous but I'm still getting used to the look. Pretty excited to see the Nordiques retros today.

And since you're a Senators fan I'll simply give you respect for admitting that this year :lol:  I've always kinda liked Ottawa but it's been pretty rough for them so far. They do seem to be playing a bit better as of late. You guys desperately need a goalie. I've only watched parts of a couple games and highlights but Murray has not looked good.

Yeah, if the sens had even average goalies their record would be mid table but oh well. It’s supposed to be a weaker draft this year too so there’s no point in tanking. They are fun to watch though. There’s always goals and on occasion it’s Ottawa that scores them.

1 hour ago, GSG said:

Colorado sports fans are funny. 99% of the year it's donkeys this donkeys that even when they're bad. But if any other team has a pulse the fans come out the woodwork like they're diehards. That's not a knock on you @JJ Husker. Just my experience living here

Oh I agree. The Broncos talkers will jump on any other Colorado bandwagon when they're doing well. When the Avs make the playoffs most of the Bronco fans claiming to be Avs fans don't even know what offsides or the blue line is.

I'm a long time Avs fan but when they're not doing well I don't pay quite as much attention. With Covid this year I've been watching them a lot more (every game a lot more). Usually I'll catch only about 33% of their regular season games but the combination of not having other things to do and the way they structured this season has me a lot more interested. The Avs and the Eagles are the only Colorado teams I really care about. I was a Broncos fan for the Elway years and then a bit with  Manning but I really don't care if they win or lose.

• 4 weeks later...

Not NHL, but didn’t want to start a new thread.

Timur Faizutdinov 19 year old captain of KHL team Dynamo St Petersburg has died after being struck in the head by a puck. 

The incident didn’t seem bad, guys have been struck harder. Just one of those freak things. 

https://www.espn.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/31074525/russian-hockey-player-dies-being-hit-puck

1 hour ago, default_28 said:

Not NHL, but didn’t want to start a new thread.

Timur Faizutdinov 19 year old captain of KHL team Dynamo St Petersburg has died after being struck in the head by a puck. 

The incident didn’t seem bad, guys have been struck harder. Just one of those freak things. 

https://www.espn.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/31074525/russian-hockey-player-dies-being-hit-puck

That sucks. I’m actually surprised we don’t hear of this happening more in hockey. The other thing that seems to be more rare than you would think is serious cuts from the skates. I just cringe whenever a skate gets up around a players neck or head. 

I know these guys have freakish speed and reflexes but there is no way I play the game without a college style face cage.  And to think not that long ago helmets were optional....and not much before that goalies didn’t even wear a mask. Crazy.

• JJ Husker changed the title to ***NHL Hockey Thread***