Spider-Man: No Way Home

I saw it over the weekend: our theater must have been filled with a lot of hardcore fans, there were no less than four times that the crowd applauded and cheered during the movie. I've never been to any movie where that has happened before. 

I am frequently amazed and impressed by Marvel's ability to cleverly write and produce movies with so many characters woven in to the story and so much stuff going on, without having it feel like a bloated disaster (like the other Spider-Man 3, for example). I don't know how they keep pulling it off.

6 hours ago, Ulty said:

I saw it over the weekend: our theater must have been filled with a lot of hardcore fans, there were no less than four times that the crowd applauded and cheered during the movie. I've never been to any movie where that has happened before. 

I am frequently amazed and impressed by Marvel's ability to cleverly write and produce movies with so many characters woven in to the story and so much stuff going on, without having it feel like a bloated disaster (like the other Spider-Man 3, for example). I don't know how they keep pulling it off.

Same with my theater. The entire theater erupted after the first big reveal about 20 minutes in, and as I was grinning like a child I knew it was gonna be a special experience. I counted at least a half dozen times of entire-audience cheering and clapping. 

What a fun experience. Obviously not the greatest film ever made, but absolutely a top 5 theater-going experience for me. 

20 hours ago, Ulty said:

Did you see Avengers: Endgame in the theater? It was almost like a rock concert with as much cheering and crowd participation as there was. 

31 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Did you see Avengers: Endgame in the theater? It was almost like a rock concert with as much cheering and crowd participation as there was. 

I did, but it was a month after it came out, during a daytime matinee, so there wasn't much of a crowd. I always thought it was weird to clap at a movie, but the excitement and energy from the hardcore fans this weekend was honestly kind of cool. Especially since I haven't been in a theater for nearly 2 years. 

• Fire 1

We saw this last night. We streamed Shang-Chi last weekend and the difference could not be more night-and-day. Shang-Chi seems like a simple filler movie. Very little plot, lots of gaffes and dumb jokes, and of course all the action. No soul.

No Way Home is the polar opposite. Really good writing, really good story, some action, but heavily plot-driven. Easily one of the best MCU movies thus far.

Saw this yesterday. I enjoyed it and thought it was a good fan service movie (not a criticism, I think they should do fan service). But definitely not my favorite MCU film. 

Spoiler

I feel like Strange came out looking like an idiot and mostly inept and now they want me to watch an entire film of him fixing what his stupidity created.

1. The temporary problems of a teenager are worth putting the entire planet under a memory wipe spell?

2. If someone else talking can make the spell unstable, why would you ever allow anyone else to be present when you cast the spell?

It's a movie, and like I said it was a good one, but it doesn't give me much confidence in the next one. I'll watch but not in theaters.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, default_28 said:

Saw this yesterday. I enjoyed it and thought it was a good fan service movie (not a criticism, I think they should do fan service). But definitely not my favorite MCU film. 

Hide contents

I feel like Strange came out looking like an idiot and mostly inept and now they want me to watch an entire film of him fixing what his stupidity created.

1. The temporary problems of a teenager are worth putting the entire planet under a memory wipe spell?

2. If someone else talking can make the spell unstable, why would you ever allow anyone else to be present when you cast the spell?

It's a movie, and like I said it was a good one, but it doesn't give me much confidence in the next one. I'll watch but not in theaters.

These are all valid critiques. That character did not emerge from this looking good. At all.

That said, I thought it was a really well-written, character-driven show. Way way WAY more than Shang-Chi. Exponentially better.

• Fire 1
6 hours ago, default_28 said:

Hide contents

I mostly agree with this but a few thoughts:

Spoiler

I think Strange still harbors a significant hubris, which we might be inclined to forget based on the events of End Game and even his solo film. So, I think it's in character for him to see this as an opportunity to harmlessly flex and help out a kid who has done a lot for him and the universe. But I absolutely he agree he comes out looking like an idiot.

That said, I find Dr. Strange's actions way more believable than Peter's, if I'm honest. I know he's the 'friendly neighborhood Spider-Man' and a 'we always help people in need' kinda guy but... someone with his knowledge and experience as an Avenger should know better than to try to cure a bunch of potentially deadly and dangerous villains. Who knows... maybe saving those people would cause different deaths in unforeseen ways?

I agree with @default_28comments as well.  

Spoiler

I also would love to see a new Tobey movie as Spidey.   Have him go back to his universe and deal with the effects of MJ, and everyone else, not knowing he who is, because a wizard from a parallel universe made everyone forget who Peter Parker is.   I think that could be a fascinating story line if Sony wanted to pick it up.