Worst Loss Since 2015?

Mavric

14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I stand corrected on the wording but the meaning is basically the same:

Quote:

"I'm hoping the Big Ten has to modify their system to us."

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/the-best-of-frost-from-sunday-7-notable-quotes-from-the-man-who-wore-no/article_c439e0cb-17bd-57f7-a830-1c5481dc5578.html

It's "kinda", "sorta" basically what he said.

Except not exactly.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

I know what the word hope means.

That's what you say to the media, but I guarantee you he thought the conference would actually have to adjust at least partially.  They haven't had to basically at all.

That's the sentiment TG is getting at, not sure what sword you are trying to die on here.  It's a fact it hasn't gone the way he hoped it would so far.

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

That's what you say to the media, but I guarantee you he thought the conference would actually have to adjust at least partially.  They haven't had to basically at all.

That's the sentiment TG is getting at, not sure what sword you are trying to die on here.  It's a fact it hasn't gone the way he hoped it would so far.

There is no sword.

Of course it hasn't gone the way he.....or we.....hoped so far.

The misquote is often used to show Frost's "arrogance".

The actual quote shows a confidence in the system.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You are free....obviously.....to be critical and poke fun at Frost and Husker football all you like 

There are a lot of people pulling hard for Frost to succeed.

I'm one of them.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You are free....obviously.....to be critical and poke fun at Frost and Husker football all you like 

There are a lot of people pulling hard for Frost to succeed.

I'm one of them.

I'm pulling hard for success also, I just disagree with you that to succeed we can't be critical of the program, Frost, ourselves, etc.  I think he was overly confident/arrogant a bit in making that statement, but that is ok if he can learn from it and grow. I think analyzing weaknesses objectively is the only way to improve.  That's all I am getting at.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I'm pulling hard for success also, I just disagree with you that to succeed we can't be critical of the program, Frost, ourselves, etc.  I think he was overly confident/arrogant a bit in making that statement, but that is ok if he can learn from it and grow. I think analyzing weaknesses objectively is the only way to improve.  That's all I am getting at.

As I said, you are free to be critical.

My original post was about a misquote, which it was 

There are people, including former players who are closer to the program internally than you or I and they like what they are seeing 

I am hopeful for where we are headed.

• Haha 1

The actual quote....

“I’m hoping the Big Ten has to modify their system for us,” Frost said confidently, resulting in a loud cheer from the group of current and former players and NU administration.

Bottom line, for better or worse, Frost was hoping that the B1G would have to "modify" "adjust""change" "alter" "adjust" etc their respective "system" "structure""organization" "method" "technique" etc........It is what it is.  Had he been successful,  we would all love the quote. As it is, we are 12-20 and no one has adjusted anything. Other than to get us on their schedule.....I'm glad he said it when he did. Showed courage.  Bo said the same thing..........To date, no one has been fearful of NU since we have joined.  Do I want Frost to succeed?  Hell yes.  Do I have some serious concerns going into 2021?  Hell yes.  I think we are still 2022 from seeing what we have.  And while it sucks, it is what it is. I'm just tired of the "culture", look what he inherited, they didn't even have strength training excuse etc....It's his team.  

And no fan wants him to fail.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

While the objective of this thread is to subjectively identify the single worst loss since 2015, I find the task difficult.  I say this as I have set the bar so low in terms of game expectations that the term "worst" has little meaning. 

With such low expectations, I find that I am bailing on games often times in the first quarter so that any loss is now nothing more than a stat sheet that I review the next day.  The good news is that the weekends are far more enjoyable.  For those who have not tried it, I would recommend opting for stat and highlight review on Sunday in lieu of game watching on Saturday.  The yard has never looked better and who knows, perhaps they will surprise us with 6 wins this year!

Colorado in 2019.  I was in Folsom and watched a lousy CU team without a pulse for 3 quarters proceed to dominate the game for the last 20 minutes. Lost by 3. If the game goes another 10 minutes, we lose by 17.  If it went another 20 minutes, we would have lost by 30..and so on. 

That was the day the wind went out of the Frost-tipped sails for me. I’ve been pretty ho hum about everything since then. If this ship gets righted...great. But I’m not expecting it anymore. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

It's a tough list because the worst Riley losses confirmed we weren't moving past Bo, we were plummeting back to Callahan 2007 Nebraska football.

But the Frost losses  might have felt worse because he was Scott Frost, and if he couldn't turn it around, who could?  I think the talent question took a hit in last year's Minnesota game when a middle-of-the-pack Minnesota team down to its third and fourth stringers outplayed and out-coached the Huskers, including our Junior quarterback who had been a Heisman hopeful just two years earlier. It felt impossible to have a conversation about forward motion after that game. 

The turnaround is still coming. Statistical probability says it has to. Of course I'm rooting for Frost, but can you imagine someone in 2018 telling you: "just wait until Year Four when Scott gets some real offensive linemen in here — we'll have a very good chance of going 6-6."

• Plus1 3
20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's a tough list because the worst Riley losses confirmed we weren't moving past Bo, we were plummeting back to Callahan 2007 Nebraska football.

But the Frost losses  might have felt worse because he was Scott Frost, and if he couldn't turn it around, who could?  I think the talent question took a hit in last year's Minnesota game when a middle-of-the-pack Minnesota team down to its third and fourth stringers outplayed and out-coached the Huskers, including our Junior quarterback who had been a Heisman hopeful just two years earlier. It felt impossible to have a conversation about forward motion after that game. 

The turnaround is still coming. Statistical probability says it has to. Of course I'm rooting for Frost, but can you imagine someone in 2018 telling you: "just wait until Year Four when Scott gets some real offensive linemen in here — we'll have a very good chance of going 6-6."

The offensive line situation caught everyone off guard.

The fact that Frost and the staff are trying diligently to get it fixed is a reason for optimism.

Frost has already had some offensive line busts that he recruited....Anderson for example....but being able to get players like Benhart and Corcoran to come to Nebraska after the seasons we've had since Pelini was fired is good recruiting.

We've been undersized for at least a decade.  Frost making that a priority will pay dividends.

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Colorado in 2019.  I was in Folsom and watched a lousy CU team without a pulse for 3 quarters proceed to dominate the game for the last 20 minutes. Lost by 3. If the game goes another 10 minutes, we lose by 17.  If it went another 20 minutes, we would have lost by 30..and so on. 

That was the day the wind went out of the Frost-tipped sails for me. I’ve been pretty ho hum about everything since then. If this ship gets righted...great. But I’m not expecting it anymore. 

To my earlier point, while I cannot identify a "worst" loss from this time period, I agree that the collapse at Folsom in 2019 was a watershed moment as I really began to doubt the program's direction after.  CU was lifeless for 3 Quarters with a new Coach, and still they managed to completely turn the game on us in Q4.  They went on to win 5 games that season.  

I will say that if CU 2019 was the beginning of doubt as to the current direction, Illinois 2020 was the confirming event.

• Plus1 1
On 2/26/2021 at 4:36 PM, NUance said:

2015 Illinois, 14-13.   We led 13-0 going into the 4th quarter.  Late in the 4th quarter we still had a six point lead.  Then we threw an incomplete pass on 3rd down, stopping the clock with about a minute left.  The punt gave Illinois the ball on their 28 yard line with 51 seconds on the clock.  They drove down the field through our Swiss cheese defense, and threw a 22 yard TD pass with 10 seconds on the clock for the win.  

Aside from incompetence on the field, this was the first game I took my young son to.  It rained.  We lost.  Worst. Game. Ever.  

You must have been so proud to show him the (now sadly) true Nebraska football experience! ;)

And it was his first time!