Biden Foreign Policy

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, a Republican wouldn’t be doing anything much different.

But would they have gotten us to this point.  That’s the question you keep avoiding with the “what would a Republican President do different”.  

Not get us to this point was an option too:thumbs

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

You criticized the American rescue plan as inflationary. Those are your words. That was approximately $2 Trillion.

I assumed, because of who you vote for, that you believe the $4 trillion of stimulus under Trump was not inflationary. 

You are free to put that notion to rest, however, and prove my assumption wrong by saying that the stimulus under Trump - twice as large - was inflationary. 

Ya, I’ve already said it two or three times.  

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Been asked and answered.   

Pandora’s box has been opened and raising rates is the best answer at this point.   Not getting to this point was the best option.  

So what is the Democrat President going to do to bring it under control?  

The question is, what can any President really do?

We agree that the stimulus packages contributed to inflation. Those are water under the bridge. I don’t think that contributed much, you give it a little more credit. No biggie.

We both definitely agree the lockdowns were a huge contributor. Again, not much can be done about that now. If we’re talking hindsight, maybe managing the pandemic better would’ve helped. 

As for the price of gas, we’re going to have to disagree. You keep trotting out the pipeline and drilling would be helping right now. They wouldn’t, and you’ve been shown that numerous times, but we don’t need to get into that.

We both agree that the fed raising rates will help control inflation…..and likely lead to a recession. It’s happening but not really a Biden or R/D thing.

So what’s left that is worth busting Biden’s chops over? I really want to know how much influence you think the President has on the economy.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Archy1221 said:

Yes.  Has anyone said different?

But, you're saying a Republican president wouldn't have got us to this point.  At the same time, you and I agree that the lockdowns are the major reason why we are having major inflation.

I'm confused then as to why you think inflation is Biden's fault and we need a Republican in office to fix it.  We have agreed that the lockdowns are the major reason and raising rates are the biggest weapon against it....which the feds are doing under Biden.

I'm just trying to figure out your thought process.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, you're saying a Republican president wouldn't have got us to this point.  At the same time, you and I agree that the lockdowns are the major reason why we are having major inflation.

I'm confused then as to why you think inflation is Biden's fault and we need a Republican in office to fix it.  We have agreed that the lockdowns are the major reason and raising rates are the biggest weapon against it....which the feds are doing under Biden.

Something Does Not Compute - RME Gold and Silver

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thought process…..

Republican good, Democrat bad.

Trump good, Biden bad.

My good points only make sense when applied in one direction, from one POV. Ignore the man behind the curtain.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Ya, I’ve already said it two or three times.  

So Trump is more responsible for our inflationary situation? Twice the stimulus after all! Glad you'll punish Rs by voting against them! 

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

Thought process…..

Republican good, Democrat bad.

Trump good, Biden bad.

My good points only make sense when applied in one direction, from one POV. Ignore the man behind the curtain.

Exactly. 

• Plus1 1

You know what pisses me off more about this whole situation than anything? I have been forced to defend Biden and Democrats (who I really can’t stand) against the delusions and lack of logic being displayed by Republicans. It’s mind numbing how they twist and contort things to continue to justify their support of all things Republican and to vilify everything else.  The solution is actually easy. Do what I did, leave the party and actually pay attention. The Rs don’t have all the answers, and lately they’ve had none but the most dangerous ones.

• Plus1 4

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You know what pisses me off more about this whole situation than anything? I have been forced to defend Biden and Democrats (who I really can’t stand) against the delusions and lack of logic being displayed by Republicans. It’s mind numbing how they twist and contort things to continue to justify their support of all things Republican and to vilify everything else.  The solution is actually easy. Do what I did, leave the party and actually pay attention. The Rs don’t have all the answers, and lately they’ve had none but the most dangerous ones.

I'm in the same boat.  It's extremely frustrating.  The first and most important part of fixing a problem is being honest about the reasons for the problem and what's causing it.  To a certain extent, I don't see that as "Defending Biden".  I just look at it as what everyone should be doing.  And that's actually looking at the facts and making a decision.

But, all we hear from Republicans are a blame game with no policies or ideas of how THEY wouldn't have caused it or how to fix it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm in the same boat.  It's extremely frustrating.  The first and most important part of fixing a problem is being honest about the reasons for the problem and what's causing it.  To a certain extent, I don't see that as "Defending Biden".  I just look at it as what everyone should be doing.  And that's actually looking at the facts and making a decision.

But, all we hear from Republicans are a blame game with no policies or ideas of how THEY wouldn't have caused it or how to fix it.

Yes. Democrats are full of dumb ideas. We need a different political party that offers realistic counter solutions to our many problems. 

What we get instead is a Republican party currently grappling with authoritarianism, Anti-intellectualism, and a view on guns which is flat out dangerous and idiotic.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Things Biden could have done in hindsight: Force the oil companies hands in some way to increase production. Be more proactive and reverse Trump's negotiations with OPEC the minute the conflict with Russia started to simmer. Investigations into price gouging and corporate profits (why are they turning out record highs when consumers are getting beat down). Inact the defense production act to somehow help supply chains improve (imo the biggest driver of inflation). 

22 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Force the oil companies hands in some way to increase production.

OK....How?  You have to deal with investors not interested in drastically increasing drilling.  The oil companies get funding to drill from the investors.  Meanwhile, if the war ends and the Russian sanctions go away, Russian oil floods the market and crashes the price....hurting those investors.

Be more proactive and reverse Trump's negotiations with OPEC the minute the conflict with Russia started to simmer.

That would be nice.  OPEC has a long history of giving the US the middle finger when asked to do this.  How does a US President force OPEC to do this?

Investigations into price gouging and corporate profits (why are they turning out record highs when consumers are getting beat down).

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/17/biden-ftc-investigate-oil-gas-companies-522804

Inact the defense production act to somehow help supply chains improve (imo the biggest driver of inflation). 

I'd be interested in learning more on how this would work.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK....How?  You have to deal with investors not interested in drastically increasing drilling.  The oil companies get funding to drill from the investors.  Meanwhile, if the war ends and the Russian sanctions go away, Russian oil floods the market and crashes the price....hurting those investors.

That would be nice.  OPEC has a long history of giving the US the middle finger when asked to do this.  How does a US President force OPEC to do this?

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/17/biden-ftc-investigate-oil-gas-companies-522804

I'd be interested in learning more on how this would work.  

I mean you know as well as I do the oil issues are a pipe dream but it would have shown an initiative and effort to fix the issue.

The supply train is tricky because we could use military resources to help move material, and direct companies to prioritize certain work, but ultimately the biggest issue I've seen is not having the manpower or capacity to catch up and get out of the holes we are in from previous manpower shortages. And from an agricultural side you can't really grow cows, chickens, eggs, and vegetables much faster...

Maybe Joe could sick the defense production act on oil companies. If they don't comply they could be fined or imprisoned...