2021-2022 Huskers.

So, as always, some of these players will transfer after the season.  I also think we have a good recruiting class coming in.  

Question, Who on the current team do you really want to stay to be the core of the team moving forward?  We need to stop having an all new team every year. We need experienced players to lead the recruits and build the program.  

• Plus1 2

Thanks BRB. Interesting topic- I’d say that I expect the following for next year:

Returners from 2020-21:

1. Derrick Walker

2. Dalano Banton

3. Eduardo Andre

4. Shamiel Stevenson

5. Trey McGowens

6. Elijah Wood

7. Lat Mayen 

Next year’s starting 5 will likely be Banton, McGowens, McGowens, Mayen, Walker. Those 5 are all here until they choose not to be or their eligibility runs out. Andre has been VERY promising this season- really excited to watch him grow and develop. Stevenson has had an up and down year but I think there’s a place for him as a reserve big guy. Wood could be asked to move on but I like his raw talent and he fits the system well, just needs to bulk up and have some minutes open up at his position. 

Confirmed new additions:

8. Bryce McGowens

9. Kesei Tominaga

10. Wilhelm Breidenbach 

Excited about this crop of guys and expect to see Keisei early and often. May be an adjustment period for Breidenbach due to the physicality of the B1G but really excited for Bryce too. 

Questionable to return:

Yvan Ouedraogo

Teddy Allen

Trevor Lakes

Akol Arop

Arop was already pretty behind and then had his season ending injury. I don’t think I see him being here going forward if he wants playing time. We were pretty excited about adding Lakes but after playing some in the beginning of the season the guy can’t see the floor now despite how badly we need floor spacers. Ouedraogo is a nice kid and could be worth keeping as an “emergency” big but he reminds me of Bismack Biyombo in the NBA- doesn’t have great hands, can’t finish unless it’s a dunk, undersized, etc. He’s replaceable. Also I have Elijah Wood in the returners section but there’s always a chance Fred tells him to look elsewhere if we want the scholly. I just happen to think he’s talented enough to stay and grow on the team. 

This leaves Teddy Allen. I think last night was pretty telling from Fred- were less than a week removed from this guy dropping 41 and he had the quickest leash on the entire team. I think if Teddy continues to be a good teammate he would be an AWESOME addition to any team. He would be an all-league candidate as a 6th man. The issue is he is a ball stopper that likes to go 1-1, he unquestionably has the talent to play in a league like the B1G but he’s a bit of a tweener. I’ll be curious to see what Fred does with him in the off-season. 

• Plus1 1

@seaofred92  thanks for the great break down and you have had some of my same thoughts.  

Isn’t Kesei supposed to be the same type of player as Lat?   If so, Lat had better start being the shooter he was supposed to be or someone is going to take his spot.  

If we can find one or two good shooters and if we can actually become at least an average free throw shooting team, Allen could become even more of a weapon driving to the basket.  I think that would open up Barton’s game also slashing to the basket. 

I really hope McGowen sticks around and we actually get his brother on campus.  

So, the players I see that we need to convince to stay are 

Banton 

McGowen

Walker

I’m 50-50 on Allen. Depends on if the other players want him. 

To me, Stevenson needs to either be way down the bench or gone.  

If Lat doesn’t improve his shooting, hopefully he can be replaced. I agree with your starting 5 but question Lat.  

• Plus1 1

I would guess these players would be back:

Mcgowens

Banton

Mayen

Walker

Andre

Add in the three newcomers of tominaga, mcgowens, breidenbach.  That is 8

Wildcards:

Allen (I hope he goes elsewhere, he is a cancer)

Stevenson-was in hoibergs doghouse early on...may not fit the scheme wanted.

Wood-doesnt excite me as much as he does some of you...he isn't playing, that generally leads to unrest & transfer...we will see

Ouedraogo-he is the #3 post now, he will be #4 next year...I assume he will leave

Arop-injury sets him back, I wouldn't be surprised either way.  He seems invested, but there may not be a way forward here for him.

Webster/Thor-they could come back...I doubt it but this eligibility freeze is wacky.  Neither have NBA aspirations and if there is a lot of turnover, perhaps one stays.

Gone for sure:

Lakes-thank god

So I have 8 schollies for sure with 5 maybes.  I wouldn't mind yvan staying for depth, arop and wood could still develop.  Stevenson doesn't do it for me, but I'd rather have him than allen.  

Bottom line for me is, unless a senior or two comes back, we will be below the limit & could be taking on additional transfers...stay tuned

21 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

I think Teddy Allen will return. I've not been overly impressed with Lat Mayan. Seems a step slow on Defense. I'd have the starting 5 as Banton, McGowens, McGowens, Allen, Walker. Mayan, Stevenson, Andre, and Kominga coming off the bench as key reserves. 

Wow - I could not have been more wrong. :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Players back:

Banton

T McGowens

Mayen

Walker

Stevenson

Lakes

Andre

Wood

Arop

Lakes

I wouldn't be surprised to see Webster or Thor back since this is a free year.  I'm sure they'd like to play in front of fans for their final year in college.  Neither is going to play in the NBA or the G League.  Before today, Allen was in this group because he only had two real options - NU or pro ball overseas.

Incoming players:

Breidenbach

B McGowens

Tominaga

Gone/probably gone:

Allen

Ouedraogo

I'd like to see Yvan stay.  He really showed promise at the end of last year, but clearly regressed this season.  It seems like he worked on his body all Summer, but didn't work on his game at all.  If he spends most of the off season in Lincoln and works on his game, he could be very useful.

Starters:

T McGowens

Tominaga

B McGowens

Mayen

Walker

I don't think we can play Banton & Mayen at the same time.  They are both a step slow on defense.  I know Hoiberg wants Banton to be a point guard, but he is too slow to guard point guards in the B1G.

• Plus1 1

Trey McGowens is one I’m concerned about. He always looks so frustrated that I wonder if he’s happy here.  If we lose him, then we lose Bryce.  

Those two guys are key pieces to winning in the future.  

Now, I hope it’s just that he hates losing and he’s still committed to Fred’s vision. 

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Trey McGowens is one I’m concerned about. He always looks so frustrated that I wonder if he’s happy here.  If we lose him, then we lose Bryce.  

Now, I hope it’s just that he hates losing and he’s still committed to Fred’s vision. 

100% agree. Hopefully a strong finish to the season will help that. We have some really good pieces and if the core comes back will be a formidable team next year. This was just a brutal season. You didn’t get a whole bunch of pud non conference games to pad the record. And in a normal season playing in a packed PBA probably gets you a couple more conference wins.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not for nothing but this was great to see: 

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe Trey isnt going anywhere. I think he is completely invested. I also think just from court demeanor etc that he and Teddy may not have meshed at all. 

Biggest beneficiary of Allen leaving is Trey because Trey is now No. 1 top dog. You saw it at the end of the Illinois game, Trey had the ball and then Allen asked for the ball and clogged the whole play up. Allen is a good player, but Treyis a better fit for what Hoiverg wants going forward and of the 2, I’d want Trey. 

Allen would have been better on last years team.