2021-2022 Huskers.

Still missing a true point. Until we get a true point, we will struggle.  Banton isnt a point, not a great passer.  No true point coming in at this time. Put Marcus Zegarowski on this team and it would get real interesting in a hurry

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, HANC said:

Still missing a true point. Until we get a true point, we will struggle.  Banton isnt a point, not a great passer.  No true point coming in at this time. Put Marcus Zegarowski on this team and it would get real interesting in a hurry

I guess I'm not so sure about that.  I love me a good point guard.  But I'm not sure it's as necessary in Hoiberg's offense.  It's all about movement - ball and player - so everyone has to be a good passer.  

Fred's last four years at Iowa State he had NBA-level point guards that still only averaged 5.something assists per game.  Banton is at 4.1.  I'm not sure great point guard getting 1.0-1.5 more assists per game is going to make that big of a difference.

13 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Biggest beneficiary of Allen leaving is Trey because Trey is now No. 1 top dog. You saw it at the end of the Illinois game, Trey had the ball and then Allen asked for the ball and clogged the whole play up. Allen is a good player, but Treyis a better fit for what Hoiverg wants going forward and of the 2, I’d want Trey. 

Allen would have been better on last years team. 

This is exactly what I was talking about as I wonder if a sort of beef existed between the two. By all accounts both appear to want to be the Alpha so to speak. Trey was trying to run a little offense and Teddy thought the play was give it to him and let him play hero ball. We saw how well that worked out. 

2 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Think he'll come back for another year? I really hope he does.

I've believed that Thor has been an underappreciated player for us the past three years. Makes a few boneheaded plays a game (as does most of the team) but is a great gel guy in terms of making good reads, playing unselfishly and playing with a steady demeanor. Will not light up the scoreboard and would benefit greatly if he could knock down the wide open shots beyond the arc consistently, but I think he would be a great keep for us. I'm really hoping Arop can pick up a lot of the tricks, reads and concepts that Thor has because he could be a great wing for us in the future.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Think he'll come back for another year? I really hope he does.

I've believed that Thor has been an underappreciated player for us the past three years. Makes a few boneheaded plays a game (as does most of the team) but is a great gel guy in terms of making good reads, playing unselfishly and playing with a steady demeanor. Will not light up the scoreboard and would benefit greatly if he could knock down the wide open shots beyond the arc consistently, but I think he would be a great keep for us. I'm really hoping Arop can pick up a lot of the tricks, reads and concepts that Thor has because he could be a great wing for us in the future.

I'd like him to. The most underrated part of his game is his passing and to your point, ability to make correct reads. His shooting has regressed some which has been disappointing but.... yeah. He's a guy I want back on next year's team.

• Fire 1

Word is there could be as many as five scholarship guys leaving yet - not counting Teddy.  It doesn't sound like any of the starters and maybe only one that is really in the rotation.  They wouldn't say any names so that's as much info as I've seen.

I think I'm missing one but I'm not sure who:

Non-starter rotation players: Stevenson, Webster, Ouedraogo, Andre

Others: Wood, Lakes, Arop

Wood sure seemed like he was being "patient" but it would not be a surprise to see Lakes and Arop leave.  And I could see either Stevenson or Ouedraogo (or both) leave.

46 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is there could be as many as five scholarship guys leaving yet - not counting Teddy.  It doesn't sound like any of the starters and maybe only one that is really in the rotation.  They wouldn't say any names so that's as much info as I've seen.

I think I'm missing one but I'm not sure who:

Non-starter rotation players: Stevenson, Webster, Ouedraogo, Andre

Others: Wood, Lakes, Arop

Wood sure seemed like he was being "patient" but it would not be a surprise to see Lakes and Arop leave.  And I could see either Stevenson or Ouedraogo (or both) leave.

I thought Webster graduated and was moving on.  I could see Lake, Arop, Ouedragogo & Stevenson leaving.   I think Andre & Wood are staying.

Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I thought Webster graduated and was moving on.  I could see Lake, Arop, Ouedragogo & Stevenson leaving.   I think Andre & Wood are staying.

Hoiberg talked the other day about Webster and Thor having the opportunity to come back.  They said no decision would be made until after the season.

1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Webster & Thor could both come back since the NCAA has decided that this is a "free" year.

I would be shocked in Yvan stays. 

I agree that Andre & Wood will stay. 

Arop & Stevenson are toss ups.  I think both could be helpful next year, but probably in limited minutes so they may look for a place where they can find a starting role.

Lakes and yvan are as good as gone.  Lakes didn't come here to play 3 minutes a game.  He isn't coming back.  Yvan will be the #4 post next year, he's gone.

I could easily see wood leaving.  He doesn't excite me & kids leave If they don't play.

So that's 3...2 to go.

I'd say stevenson and banton leave.  Stevenson is in and out of the doghouse and doesn't seem to have a fit here.  Banton has been getting a quicker hook as of late & has lost his spot.  It would be easy to see them both leave.

I do think thor comes back & webster is finding his groove now.  I think there's a better than average chance he comes back to

If 5 are gone, I would go with Stevenson, Lakes, Arop, Ouedrago, and Webster (graduated anyway).

But, that's a total guess.  Maybe I'm just hoping that's the 5 because the rest I see being a good base to grow the program with when you combine them with what we have coming in.

If we have 5 scholarship players leaving, and the announced commitments coming in, how many transfers would Fred be looking for then?

I would love for one of those transfers to be a true point guard so Banton can play off the ball more and do more slashing to the basket.  I really think that's a better way to play for him.