2021-2022 Huskers.

2 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Starting 5:

Trey McGowens

EITHER transfer G/F that can shoot or Dalano Banton 

Bryce McGowens

Lat Mayen

Derrick Walker

I have a hard time seeing Banton in there after the way this season finished up and with more guys coming in.  But I guess if Webster and Thor both leave, there aren't a lot of options currently on the roster.  I wonder if Webster might give it one more go after his PT really went up late in the season.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm a little surprised we haven't heard definitively if players like Webster or Thor are coming back or not.  I would be a somewhat surprised if either came back, but I think it would be good for the team.

I think there's two things going on: 

1. The portal is LOADED with kids currently and Hoiberg and company have to be evaluating their options there. We've got 3 scholarships currently and I don't really see us linked to any remaining 2021 HS kids so I can only assume we'll be active there. 

2. Kobe and Thor are probably exploring seriously what their professional opportunities are or may be. I'd venture Thor has more options than Kobe given his size but neither is a dynamite sure fire professional somewhere. And they could decide to return over the summer if they want to explore the pro options first- they wouldn't count against our scholarship limit and there is no timeframe they have to decide by

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm a little surprised we haven't heard definitively if players like Webster or Thor are coming back or not.  I would be a somewhat surprised if either came back, but I think it would be good for the team.

I think Fred is doing 1-1 meetings with players over the next 2 weeks.

My guess is we will still have a trickle of news.

My guess is we lose 1-2 more folks.

Thor and Kobe both will be role players and probably need to decide if thats worth it.

26 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

2. Kobe and Thor are probably exploring seriously what their professional opportunities are or may be. I'd venture Thor has more options than Kobe given his size but neither is a dynamite sure fire professional somewhere. And they could decide to return over the summer if they want to explore the pro options first- they wouldn't count against our scholarship limit and there is no timeframe they have to decide by

Yeah, I really don't see either of them as a pro.  I assume they are trying to decide if they want to be done with basketball or go through the work of another season as a roll player like @Minnesota_husker mentioned.  If they want to do that and fully understand their expected roll next year, I think they both can be a big benefit to the program.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah, I really don't see either of them as a pro.  I assume they are trying to decide if they want to be done with basketball or go through the work of another season as a roll player like @Minnesota_husker mentioned.  If they want to do that and fully understand their expected roll next year, I think they both can be a big benefit to the program.

There are a lot of opportunities as a pro outside the US.  It's not the NBA, but guys can still make good $ bouncing around European and Asian leagues.  I don't know which way Thor or Webster is leaning, but just because their future isn't in the NBA, doesn't mean they can't have a future in pro basketball.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Seems Hoiberg agreed that Wood wasnt ready for this level

Really, you know that it was Hoiberg who made the decision and not Woods.  Your guess is as good as mine, but there are a lot in players in front of him.  Young players do not want to sit, they want to play and I am guessing he did not want to ride the pine for another year.  Can't say I'm not disappointed.