2021-2022 Huskers.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If 5 are gone, I would go with Stevenson, Lakes, Arop, Ouedrago, and Webster (graduated anyway).

But, that's a total guess.  Maybe I'm just hoping that's the 5 because the rest I see being a good base to grow the program with when you combine them with what we have coming in.

If we have 5 scholarship players leaving, and the announced commitments coming in, how many transfers would Fred be looking for then?

I would love for one of those transfers to be a true point guard so Banton can play off the ball more and do more slashing to the basket.  I really think that's a better way to play for him.

Agree but he needs to also be able to make a serious jump in his perimeter shooting as well.

24 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Agree but he needs to also be able to make a serious jump in his perimeter shooting as well.

True, but I wonder if he would be better at shooting if he's dished the ball instead of trying to create something on his own as the point.  Also, if he has success slashing, the defense would start laying off him outside.

On 3/5/2021 at 10:57 AM, Mavric said:

Word is there could be as many as five scholarship guys leaving yet - not counting Teddy.  It doesn't sound like any of the starters and maybe only one that is really in the rotation.  They wouldn't say any names so that's as much info as I've seen.

I think I'm missing one but I'm not sure who:

Non-starter rotation players: Stevenson, Webster, Ouedraogo, Andre

Others: Wood, Lakes, Arop

Wood sure seemed like he was being "patient" but it would not be a surprise to see Lakes and Arop leave.  And I could see either Stevenson or Ouedraogo (or both) leave.

Ouedraogo leaving would probably be best for all parties. I am all for giving a guy a chance to grow and get better, but he just doesnt seem to have  the required skills to be a basketball player, outside of his height.

Lakes- Maybe he could go somewhere that distributes the ball better but even when he does shoot an open 3 it looks just ok. HE doesnt have the other skills to play at this level. Its a bummer it didnt workout but he is a liability on the court.

Stevenson- Sign him up as a fullback... I honestly dont mind of Stevenson stays around because he adds some toughness but is just missing the well rounded aspects. 

Webster- He has grown on me and honestly, one more year of B1G play might be good for him. Even before the game yesterday he was starting to get better at making his own shot. He is an off the bench guy, but I think 1 more year would be ok.

Wood- Maybe he shows them something in practice but when he gets in games, walk-ons have out played him.

Arop- Injuries have made this impossible to know. The bit I have seen makes me think we have better options.

Andre- This would be a huge loss. This guy has some great natural touch for a guy of his size. 

Thor- I like Thor a lot and he has great moments-- I just get the feeling he is ready to move on with his life. 

That all being said, if I had to guess the 5 that are leaving I would say:

Ouedraogo, Stevenson, Lakes, Wood and Thor.

6 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Ouedraogo leaving would probably be best for all parties. I am all for giving a guy a chance to grow and get better, but he just doesnt seem to have  the required skills to be a basketball player, outside of his height.

Lakes- Maybe he could go somewhere that distributes the ball better but even when he does shoot an open 3 it looks just ok. HE doesnt have the other skills to play at this level. Its a bummer it didnt workout but he is a liability on the court.

Stevenson- Sign him up as a fullback... I honestly dont mind of Stevenson stays around because he adds some toughness but is just missing the well rounded aspects. 

Webster- He has grown on me and honestly, one more year of B1G play might be good for him. Even before the game yesterday he was starting to get better at making his own shot. He is an off the bench guy, but I think 1 more year would be ok.

Wood- Maybe he shows them something in practice but when he gets in games, walk-ons have out played him.

Arop- Injuries have made this impossible to know. The bit I have seen makes me think we have better options.

Andre- This would be a huge loss. This guy has some great natural touch for a guy of his size. 

Thor- I like Thor a lot and he has great moments-- I just get the feeling he is ready to move on with his life. 

That all being said, if I had to guess the 5 that are leaving I would say:

Ouedraogo, Stevenson, Lakes, Wood and Thor.

You keep knocking Woods and I don't get it.  He is a freshman with lots of talent that needs some time in the weight room.  When he is on the floor, which very very little its with walk-ons.  

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

You keep knocking Woods and I don't get it.  He is a freshman with lots of talent that needs some time in the weight room.  When he is on the floor, which very very little its with walk-ons.  

I am not knocking him I am just simply sharing what I have seen. I am not against him learning and growing into a role but the total lack of playing time is pretty telling for Wood and how he is currently viewed.

Usually when guys get this little of playing time, they bolt. 

3 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I am not knocking him I am just simply sharing what I have seen. I am not against him learning and growing into a role but the total lack of playing time is pretty telling for Wood and how he is currently viewed.

Usually when guys get this little of playing time, they bolt. 

I think Wood knew he wouldn't get much time this year - kind of like Arop last year.  If he doesn't get playing time next year, I wouldn't be shocked to see him transfer.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, ECisGod said:

I think Wood knew he wouldn't get much time this year - kind of like Arop last year.  If he doesn't get playing time next year, I wouldn't be shocked to see him transfer.

Plus with Bryce coming i doubt he wants to leave given his relationship with him. He was recruiting him pretty hard publicly 

• Plus1 1
On 3/2/2021 at 7:50 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Trey McGowens is one I’m concerned about. He always looks so frustrated that I wonder if he’s happy here.  If we lose him, then we lose Bryce.  

Those two guys are key pieces to winning in the future.  

Now, I hope it’s just that he hates losing and he’s still committed to Fred’s vision. 

This is good to see

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2021 at 9:29 AM, seaofred92 said:

Thanks BRB. Interesting topic- I’d say that I expect the following for next year:

Returners from 2020-21:

1. Derrick Walker

2. Dalano Banton

3. Eduardo Andre

4. Shamiel Stevenson

5. Trey McGowens

6. Elijah Wood

7. Lat Mayen 

Next year’s starting 5 will likely be Banton, McGowens, McGowens, Mayen, Walker. Those 5 are all here until they choose not to be or their eligibility runs out. Andre has been VERY promising this season- really excited to watch him grow and develop. Stevenson has had an up and down year but I think there’s a place for him as a reserve big guy. Wood could be asked to move on but I like his raw talent and he fits the system well, just needs to bulk up and have some minutes open up at his position. 

Confirmed new additions:

8. Bryce McGowens

9. Kesei Tominaga

10. Wilhelm Breidenbach 

Excited about this crop of guys and expect to see Keisei early and often. May be an adjustment period for Breidenbach due to the physicality of the B1G but really excited for Bryce too. 

Questionable to return:

Yvan Ouedraogo

Teddy Allen

Trevor Lakes

Akol Arop

Arop was already pretty behind and then had his season ending injury. I don’t think I see him being here going forward if he wants playing time. We were pretty excited about adding Lakes but after playing some in the beginning of the season the guy can’t see the floor now despite how badly we need floor spacers. Ouedraogo is a nice kid and could be worth keeping as an “emergency” big but he reminds me of Bismack Biyombo in the NBA- doesn’t have great hands, can’t finish unless it’s a dunk, undersized, etc. He’s replaceable. Also I have Elijah Wood in the returners section but there’s always a chance Fred tells him to look elsewhere if we want the scholly. I just happen to think he’s talented enough to stay and grow on the team. 

This leaves Teddy Allen. I think last night was pretty telling from Fred- were less than a week removed from this guy dropping 41 and he had the quickest leash on the entire team. I think if Teddy continues to be a good teammate he would be an AWESOME addition to any team. He would be an all-league candidate as a 6th man. The issue is he is a ball stopper that likes to go 1-1, he unquestionably has the talent to play in a league like the B1G but he’s a bit of a tweener. I’ll be curious to see what Fred does with him in the off-season. 

2 down, (at least) 2 to go. 

Lakes could fit here as a 3 point guy off the bench. He gave some quality minutes at the end of the season. 

I'd really like us to go after a scoring guard if possible- I posted this in the 2021 Recruiting Notes thread but I'd love to pick up David Collins from USF. High major experience, averaged 12ppg on 37% from deep in his time at USF. 6'4 220 so he's big enough to physically hold up in the B1G and is from Ohio so grew up in Big Ten land. He is almost a perfect fit for us. 

As of now, I'd guess our roster composition to be: 

Starting 5:

Trey McGowens

EITHER transfer G/F that can shoot or Dalano Banton 

Bryce McGowens

Lat Mayen

Derrick Walker

Rotation:

Transfer PG (hopefully David Collins or someone similar build and scoring ability) OR Dalano Banton

Elijah Wood

Eduardo Andre

Shamiel Stevenson/Big guy transfer

Breidenbach

Others:

Lakes

Tominaga

Arop

Lat needs to get stronger and improve his shooting percentages in the offseason. He was supposed to be a knockdown shooter and.... was not. 

Banton has to add weight. Has to. Also needs to learn to be more aggressive on offense. The shooting concerns are real but I loved his mindset in Indianapolis- get to the hole and use your size/length to either score or get fouled. He's a great passer and despite being a "point guard" I believe he's actually better as a playmaker off the ball. He pairs well with McGowens- just need to get that 3 point percentage up.