Biden Domestic Policy

3 hours ago, SECHusker said:

We need to go big, hopefully north of the $2T Biden promised during the campaign,  and not only fix our current problems but address future infrastructure concerns.

I would absolutely love to see a huge project like a nation wide high speed train system.  But, we probably will just fix things that are old.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, SECHusker said:

We need to go big, hopefully north of the $2T Biden promised during the campaign,  and not only fix our current problems but address future infrastructure concerns.

I agree, but doing something now is better than failing to pass something big. We can always spend more later.

30 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I'm not familiar with high speed rail, but I think it would work well in some areas but not others. It should be looked at but I'm not sure it's worth spending much on.

Things like bridges, EV charging networks, internet access and renewable energy must be a huge portion of it.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I don't understand the hesitancy to get a big infrastructure bill passed. I mean obviously there's going to be a big price tag up front but you'd get to promote job creation and infrastructure spending is broadly popular with the vast majority of the public. And depending on how it's crafted it's an undertaking that could benefit everyone in society fairly evenly rather than being highly targeted to a specific group.

I guess the struggle is just getting Republicans to support spending any type of money? It surprises me Trump never actually pressed harder to meaningfully address infrastructure. It was one of the few things that could've fundamentally changed how we viewed him and the GOP.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I don't understand the hesitancy to get a big infrastructure bill passed. I mean obviously there's going to be a big price tag up front but you'd get to promote job creation and infrastructure spending is broadly popular with the vast majority of the public. And depending on how it's crafted it's an undertaking that could benefit everyone in society fairly evenly rather than being highly targeted to a specific group.

I guess the struggle is just getting Republicans to support spending any type of money? It surprises me Trump never actually pressed harder to meaningfully address infrastructure. It was one of the few things that could've fundamentally changed how we viewed him and the GOP.

Agreed Infrastructure was one of those topics that Trump could have cooperated with the Dems on.  But I think he was holding such a grudge against San Fran Nan and didn't want to cooperate.

• Plus1 2

"Between 2% and 9%. That’s how much Biden’s infrastructure plan could boost GDP in the short run, according to Bank of America. The long-run impact would be “considerably more,” the bank said."

Would be phenomenal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/sarahhansen/2021/03/01/bidens-infrastructure-bill-could-be-2-trillion-behemoth-heres-what-goldman-sachs-is-expecting/amp/

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, don’t we basically already do this with a gas tax?  

Now that I type that, I would guess people with electric cars aren’t contributing to building roads as much as others. 

How the heck do you tax per mile?

And, why the hell can’t we fund this by cutting things like the defense budget?

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Now that I type that, I would guess people with electric cars aren’t contributing to building roads as much as others. 

Nothing like limiting the mobility of the workforce...

Depending on the tax rate, this would suck in rural areas like Nebraska.  With the small commuter towns across the state and the need for people in Omaha metro area to travel all around town (public transportation sucks in Omaha) for work will get punished for it.  

Maybe if you can claim "work miles" as a deduction.  Filling out mileage logs every week sounds like a great time :sarcasm 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is the dumbest f#&%ing thing. I cant stand Buttigieg, hes such a fake little s#!t. And the reason we cant cut the defense budget is because both parties dont know how to read a damn poll and they are bought and paid for by lobbyists. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Similar plan went so well in France with the Yellow Vests, I'm sure it'll be totally successful here...