Biden Domestic Policy

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So very true.  I noticed how some of the Senators recently spoke up about the massive run in debt - yet were strangely quiet  a year ago.

That's a pattern from republicans for several administrations now. They don't care about deficits or spending when they have the White House, but once there's a Democrat, it's all "tax & spend" and "fiscal responsibility."  

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

That's a pattern from republicans for several administrations now. They don't care about deficits or spending when they have the White House, but once there's a Democrat, it's all "tax & spend" and "fiscal responsibility."  

Yes, the crisis of liberal spending that is going to doom us all to hell, damnation and  poverty 

8 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

Really xenophobic there.

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Ya comparing the speech pattern of someone who knows five languages and English is the second language to Joe isn’t a good look.   

LOL

Melania has lived in the U.S. 20 years. You should give her more credit than that. I don't think the problem is actually grammar. I think she thinks Be Best sounds neat. I think Joe thinks Build Back Better sounds neat. I just think language has gotten weird in the past 5-10 years and they were/are trying to appeal to young people. I think both sound stupid but I don't think it's due to ESL (for either ;)).

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

LOL

Melania has lived in the U.S. 20 years. You should give her more credit than that. I don't think the problem is actually grammar. I think she thinks Be Best sounds neat. I think Joe thinks Build Back Better sounds neat. I just think language has gotten weird in the past 5-10 years and they were/are trying to appeal to young people. I think both sound stupid but I don't think it's due to ESL (for either ;)).

It's not just that. I write for a profession. When I started, not too long ago, it was recommended that the material I created, for adults, be written at a 4th grade reading level. That recommendation has now fallen to 1st or 2nd grade. Attention spans are shorter, reading comprehension is falling, and language is getting further dumbed down to appeal to the masses, and not just young people. My target audience is boomers. 

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

It's not just that. I write for a profession. When I started, not too long ago, it was recommended that the material I created, for adults, be written at a 4th grade reading level. That recommendation has now fallen to 1st or 2nd grade. Attention spans are shorter, reading comprehension is falling, and language is getting further dumbed down to appeal to the masses, and not just young people. My target audience is boomers. 

The first time I noticed it was when people about 5 years younger than me started saying "I know right." So that's kinda how it got into my head that that's the point of slogans like this - reaching young people. I still have no idea why people say "I know right." I mean I get that it's just a conversation filler but it seems like it's a way to not have to say anything meaningful, and it doesn't make any sense. If you're gonna be lazy just say "ya."

27 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The first time I noticed it was when people about 5 years younger than me started saying "I know right." So that's kinda how it got into my head that that's the point of slogans like this - reaching young people. I still have no idea why people say "I know right." I mean I get that it's just a conversation filler but it seems like it's a way to not have to say anything meaningful, and it doesn't make any sense. If you're gonna be lazy just say "ya."

Midwestern "I agree"? I have used it myself, but not very often. Usually when someone articulates a message in a manner that I hadn't fully contextualized and there is some excitement/pleasure in hearing someone else express it clearly.

Maybe it is used more frequently now, I don't get out much.

44 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Midwestern "I agree"? I have used it myself, but not very often. Usually when someone articulates a message in a manner that I hadn't fully contextualized and there is some excitement/pleasure in hearing someone else express it clearly.

Maybe it is used more frequently now, I don't get out much.

I never heard it until around 2007/2008. It's possible it was/is regional because I think the first time I heard it was in an online video game with people from all over. But I hear it all the time now.

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Do you think all the social media communication and short hand text communication, or DM’s contribute to this?

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Ya comparing the speech pattern of someone who knows five languages and English is the second language to Joe isn’t a good look.   

Growing up in other countries, it's common for everyone to learn more than one language and doing it at a young age, it's not an indication that the person is some genius.  Compare that to Americans that are too egotistical to think that learning one extra language somehow makes them less 'Merican and telling everyone else they need to learn English is the way to go.

In other words, it has more to do with where each of them grew up than any sign of one being more intelligent than the other.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here is one thing I don’t understand....

TAX RATE

The plan will raise the corporate income tax rate after deductions to 28% from the current 21%. That's still well below the 35% prior to 2017, a rate in place since 1993.

My thoughts below:

I’ve heard people on satellite radio last few days discuss the need to raise the corporate tax rate because companies like Amazon and PepsiCo had 0% effective tax rates.  How is raising the rate going fix the actual issue causing those companies to such a low effective rate which is all the deductions and loopholes available to them.  The end result of raising their taxes will the same.  They will find more loopholes.  

why not cut the deductions and loopholes instead of raising rates where the most powerful companies avoid anyways and it’s the smaller companies without the high priced accounting firms that get stuck 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 4/1/2021 at 7:56 AM, Archy1221 said:

Here is one thing I don’t understand....

TAX RATE

The plan will raise the corporate income tax rate after deductions to 28% from the current 21%. That's still well below the 35% prior to 2017, a rate in place since 1993.

My thoughts below:

I’ve heard people on satellite radio last few days discuss the need to raise the corporate tax rate because companies like Amazon and PepsiCo had 0% effective tax rates.  How is raising the rate going fix the actual issue causing those companies to such a low effective rate which is all the deductions and loopholes available to them.  The end result of raising their taxes will the same.  They will find more loopholes.  

why not cut the deductions and loopholes instead of raising rates where the most powerful companies avoid anyways and it’s the smaller companies without the high priced accounting firms that get stuck 

Might want to check out the other provisions in the bill that closes the ability for these companies to hide income.  

including those probably allows them to not have to go back to the 35% before.