Biden Domestic Policy

32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just heard an interesting stat last week.

Apparently there are 60,000 jobs available for truck drivers.

That's right. Demand for truck deliveries and truck drivers is 60,000 employees short. 

We've waited 5 months for a bathroom fixture, and I think they're lying about the delivery time for our new dishwasher.

#firstworldproblems

Yeah, some of the delivery dates I have seen have been insane!

On 6/11/2021 at 7:37 PM, JJ Husker said:

Thats fine. I’m not usually concerned much about inflation. And I haven’t seen it trotted out as any kind of boogeyman. But I have been in my line of work for about 35 years and I’ve never seen such rapid and extreme  increases in so many things. Maybe its just anecdotal but it sure seems like something economically unpleasant is afoot.

Yeah, we're also at the tail end of a once in the last century pandemic that has dramtically effected the economy, so it's not a big surprise that there's some economic uncertainty and supply/demand mismatches.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:37 PM, JJ Husker said:

BTW how old are you? I’m 58 and I haven’t heard jack squat about any coming inflation. Although I do remember some s#!t that happened in the 70s and 80s. I remember 18%+ mortgages...

I'm 46, and literally every time there's a move to spend government money there's a swath of pearl-clutching about national debt. And why is the national debt bad? Apparently it's going to lead to inflation.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I'm 46, and literally every time there's a move to spend government money there's a swath of pearl-clutching about national debt.

At some point the debt service amount of the yearly budget will become a giant issue.  Unless you are gonna be content with the US treasury defaults saying FU what are you gonna to do about it to the TBILL holders. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

At some point the debt service amount of the yearly budget will become a giant issue.  Unless you are gonna be content with the US treasury defaults saying FU what are you gonna to do about it to the TBILL holders. 

<clutches pearls> What ever will we do?

12 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Good question.  Why don’t you impart some of your economic wisdom on all of us. 

12 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Pearls are out of style by the way.  Keep up with the present day please 

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Yeah, we're also at the tail end of a once in the last century pandemic that has dramtically effected the economy, so it's not a big surprise that there's some economic uncertainty and supply/demand mismatches.

I'm 46, and literally every time there's a move to spend government money there's a swath of pearl-clutching about national debt. And why is the national debt bad? Apparently it's going to lead to inflation.

You seem to be oddly defensive about the possibility of higher than usual inflation. To be clear I’m not claiming proposed government spending will be the cause. I’ve simply stated what Ive seen in my line of business and that it does not seem to be solely the result of pandemic recovery and also seems like its going to get worse and last longer than the short term. But whatever, I guess I don’t need to convince you. We’ll both see what actually happens soon enough.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

You seem to be oddly defensive about the possibility of higher than usual inflation. To be clear I’m not claiming proposed government spending will be the cause. I’ve simply stated what Ive seen in my line of business and that it does not seem to be solely the result of pandemic recovery and also seems like its going to get worse and last longer than the short term. But whatever, I guess I don’t need to convince you. We’ll both see what actually happens soon enough.

Yes.  I've seen the same thing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...