Biden Domestic Policy

If he meant a use tax on electric cars, how is that stupid? The easiest way currently is the gas tax, but EVs obviously don't use gas, so... you need to think outside of the box. You could tax electric bills and charging stations, but then with electric bills those who don't use cars are paying too.

31 minutes ago, ZRod said:

If he meant a use tax on electric cars, how is that stupid? The easiest way currently is the gas tax, but EVs obviously don't use gas, so... you need to think outside of the box. You could tax electric bills and charging stations, but then with electric bills those who don't use cars are paying too.

the gas tax is one of the most regressive taxes.  Combine the increase in gas prices with a gas tax or mileage tax and that stimulus is right out the window on increased transportation costs. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

People using electric cars are already doing something that benefits us so I'm ok with them paying less in tax. They are still causing wear and tear on the road but at least they aren't using as much of a finite resource or polluting as much.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

the gas tax is one of the most regressive taxes.  Combine the increase in gas prices with a gas tax or mileage tax and that stimulus is right out the window on increased transportation costs. 

What are you even talking about? Gas tax is a cents per gallon excise tax. You pay the same amount for every gallon you use. You drive more you pay more, because you use the infrastructure more.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

People using electric cars are already doing something that benefits us so I'm ok with them paying less in tax. They are still causing wear and tear on the road but at least they aren't using as much of a finite resource or polluting as much.

But I think the intent was to pay for the use of the infrastructure, so why should EVs be skating by with out paying for what they are using?

3 hours ago, ZRod said:
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

What are you even talking about? Gas tax is a cents per gallon excise tax. You pay the same amount for every gallon you use. You drive more you pay more, because you use the infrastructure more.

It’s a tax in the same vein as sales tax where everyone pays the same rate regardless on income.   Unfortunately unlike the sales tax where low income people don’t pay as much as high income people overall because they don’t purchase as much goods or services. 

Gas tax, many low income people drive as much or more than higher income people out of necessity, but are paying the same tax amount both per gallon and overall which constitutes much more of their disposable income. 

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, ZRod said:

But I think the intent was to pay for the use of the infrastructure, so why should EVs be skating by with out paying for what they are using?

Taxes don't have to work that way and they don't all work that way. I am saying I think if people are paying extra for a type of car that damages the earth less and uses less of the earth's natural resources, I'm fine with them paying less tax to fix our roads and bridges. They are likely costing us less in other ways. I also think it's overcomplicating things to track mileage.

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Moiraine said:

IMO if they want to give a tax benefit, provide a credit on the EV purchase (if there already isn't one) not the EV's use of the road. Once your vehicle is on the road then you should be taxed comparably to your peers for your use. For years, many of the EV's for sale were not exactly 'green' to produce. Around 2010, there was a well known EV battery factory that produced so much acid rain and pollution that it killed plant life around it. And the amount of shipping/handling different parts of the cars went through to produce the finished product made the production process incredibly pollutive, but in different ways than the combustion vehicles. Maybe that's improved in recent years with Tesla and technological updates, but maybe not. Haven't looked into it again for some time.

Separately, I would have questions about the fairness/efficacy of charging a tax 'per mile,' and there would likely be pointed questions about the practice being possibly discriminatory. There are a lot of Americans who work in jobs that require personal transportation to get to, including a lot of low wage or minimum wage workers. And public transportation isn't always an option for some those folks. Conversely, I'm not in those income brackets and only have to fill up my car every 5-6 weeks.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

That's the best name they could come up with??? Not the Grand New Deal, America 2.0, American EVolution, Back to Work, Restore America, American Renovation, Rebuild America, Resore the Future?

59 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That's the best name they could come up with??? Not the Grand New Deal, America 2.0, American EVolution, Back to Work, Restore America, American Renovation, Rebuild America, Resore the Future?

Did Melania and Joe go to the same grammar school?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ZRod said:

You are onto something with American Renovation. I think we could go the HGTV way...

Fixer Upper? Flip or Flop?

Love it or List it?

Just now, DevoHusker said:

You are onto something with American Renovation. I think we could go the HGTV way...

Fixer Upper? Flip or Flop?

Love it or List it?

I mean it's a very hot format these days.

We could bring some country modern feel to it, or maybe Scandinavian modern. I'm very partial to the simplistic beauty of a modern look, but there's also something comforting about contemporary design.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

I mean it's a very hot format these days.

We could bring some country modern feel to it, or maybe Scandinavian modern. I'm very partial to the simplistic beauty of a modern look, but there's also something comforting about contemporary design.

Who's the lady that throws out all the extra stuff that causes distractions and drains us of energy?  America could use that!

• Plus1 1