OG Ashton Craig [Notre Dame - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

11 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Craig commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Decked said:

Throwing a lot of darts at the wall for OT

I think part of it is a lot of the best Oline HS guys play OT for their HS by default. Wouldn't be surprised if we were looking at this kid and the kid from Valor inside based on their measurables compared to our past OT signees (outside of Cocoran because he's on another level as a prospect). 

Iowa, ISU, NW, IU, Baylor offers, sign me up. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Decked said:

Throwing a lot of darts at the wall for OT

I was listening to Greg Smith at Hail Varsity expressing that we are so good at OT that we can't attract any big time recruit.  I LOL at that.  By no means are we loaded or have a pipeline.  The good "pipeline" systems attract a 5* and 4* every year at those positions.

I agree with your thoughts.  We are throwing darts.  There are no studs sniffin' :bigredn:,

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I was listening to Greg Smith at Hail Varsity expressing that we are so good at OT that we can't attract any big time recruit.  I LOL at that.  By no means are we loaded or have a pipeline.  The good "pipeline" systems attract a 5* and 4* every year at those positions.

I agree with your thoughts.  We are throwing darts.  There are no studs sniffin' :bigredn:,

So since we've gotten a four-star OT the last three years - every full class under Frost - you must agree that we have a "good pipeline."  Nice.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So since we've gotten a four-star OT the last three years - every full class under Frost - you must agree that we have a "good pipeline."  Nice.

additionally look at the age of our starting OTs, hell look at the age of our entire OL practically. With the extra covid year we will have what across the line Fr, Fr, Soph, Unknown, Fr. ? This OL has the potential to be elite in a couple years and we have continued to snag solid talent that is also young behind it. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Nope, not at all.  Greg seemed to be saying that getting one top prospect per year builds an OT pipeline.  I disagree.  Mavic, perhaps you are saying that as well.  That's all fine.

When I start to see a couple of high end four star types commit each year at OT and some real development where we take an unknown mid 3 star type kid and start to produce yearly 1st-2nd round OT's who are drafted ... then you have a pipeline.  I know you know this.  Actually surprised to hear your banter.

I think that if we can continue what we got in the past three years and upgrade that previous grade of OT and then the second OT as well ... then do that for 7-8 years ... then I'll be confident to say we have built a pipeline.  Like politics, if every four years the new guy stops building a gas pipeline or a border fence ... can anyone actually say that it's built?  Is gas flowing ... are non-Americans entering without citizenship documents?  If so, something is still broken.

We are no where near any the best programs in any conference ... even on our side of the conference, Whisky has recruited better than us at the OT position in the past three years and looks very solid again this year.

I'm glad we are improving in the trenches [and hiking a football].  Much needed.  But, a pipeline?  Nope.  We have a start at one position group ... so, hope it continues.  

For me, Frost has to go 7-5 this year and then 8-4 next to stay around ... otherwise ... even the OT supposed "pipeline" will have a whole new coach/system put in place.

That's how my mind processes out what I think is success for :bigredn:

• Oh Yeah! 1
59 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Nope, not at all.  Greg seemed to be saying that getting one top prospect per year builds an OT pipeline.  I disagree.  Mavic, perhaps you are saying that as well.  That's all fine.

When I start to see a couple of high end four star types commit each year at OT and some real development where we take an unknown mid 3 star type kid and start to produce yearly 1st-2nd round OT's who are drafted ... then you have a pipeline.  I know you know this.  Actually surprised to hear your banter.

I think that if we can continue what we got in the past three years and upgrade that previous grade of OT and then the second OT as well ... then do that for 7-8 years ... then I'll be confident to say we have built a pipeline.  Like politics, if every four years the new guy stops building a gas pipeline or a border fence ... can anyone actually say that it's built?  Is gas flowing ... are non-Americans entering without citizenship documents?  If so, something is still broken.

We are no where near any the best programs in any conference ... even on our side of the conference, Whisky has recruited better than us at the OT position in the past three years and looks very solid again this year.

I'm glad we are improving in the trenches [and hiking a football].  Much needed.  But, a pipeline?  Nope.  We have a start at one position group ... so, hope it continues.  

For me, Frost has to go 7-5 this year and then 8-4 next to stay around ... otherwise ... even the OT supposed "pipeline" will have a whole new coach/system put in place.

That's how my mind processes out what I think is success for :bigredn:

If Nebraska produced 2 in-state four star olinemen a class like Wisc, I think we'd sign more of them as well. 6 four-star olinemen out of Wisconsin the last 3 classes, 2 out of Nebraska. 

4 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

If Nebraska produced 2 in-state four star olinemen a class like Wisc, I think we'd sign more of them as well. 6 four-star olinemen out of Wisconsin the last 3 classes, 2 out of Nebraska. 

Hmmm, wonder how we ever were known for OL ... we were growing them in Nebraska?  I don't think so.  Sure, we have had some ... like Remington.  A pipeline is built by a system ... not because of just location of the talent.  It can certainly be a mixture.  Actually, Wisky getting Nolan Rucci actually proves my point.  They attracted a 5* talent from Pennsylvania because of his belief in making him better.  So, if your premise/statement is fact ... that it is just about what is grown around us ... well, then we should just give up ... cause I don't think the state is gonna produce enough talent to be successful.  That, and, it looks like Nebraska talent doesn't want to be :bigredn: and 500 radius talent sees greener pastor elsewhere.

The good thing for us is we have had Top 25 recruiting classes with Frost.  That has been great.  He's been just "one class away" ... so, we can all be excited as certainly he is coaching up these great classes into a winning product worthy of the :bigredn: !

So, let me take it all back to my first post ... Greg of Hail Varsity was making lite of the idea that we are not in on any good OT ... but that was okay since we got one in each of the last three classes.

I don't get why anyone would be happy/content with one good OL person per year thinking that would ever be enough compete for a Natty ... especially when the big boys are adding far better and more prospects.  It appears we have more and more fans buying into a limiting belief or thinking we've arrived and can now sit and relax [that has never been a part of the Nebraska ideal ... until the last 10 years].

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Hmmm, wonder how we ever were known for OL ... we were growing them in Nebraska?  I don't think so.  Sure, we have had some ... like Remington.  A pipeline is built by a system ... not because of just location of the talent.  It can certainly be a mixture.  Actually, Wisky getting Nolan Rucci actually proves my point.  They attracted a 5* talent from Pennsylvania because of his belief in making him better.  So, if your premise/statement is fact ... that it is just about what is grown around us ... well, then we should just give up ... cause I don't think the state is gonna produce enough talent to be successful.  That, and, it looks like Nebraska talent doesn't want to be :bigredn: and 500 radius talent sees greener pastor elsewhere.

The good thing for us is we have had Top 25 recruiting classes with Frost.  That has been great.  He's been just "one class away" ... so, we can all be excited as certainly he is coaching up these great classes into a winning product worthy of the :bigredn: !

So, let me take it all back to my first post ... Greg of Hail Varsity was making lite of the idea that we are not in on any good OT ... but that was okay since we got one in each of the last three classes.

I don't get why anyone would be happy/content with one good OL person per year thinking that would ever be enough compete for a Natty ... especially when the big boys are adding far better and more prospects.  It appears we have more and more fans buying into a limiting belief or thinking we've arrived and can now sit and relax [that has never been a part of the Nebraska ideal ... until the last 10 years].

I mean just looking at sheer numbers how many OTs has Frost brought in since he has been here? Year 1 none simply because at that point good luck finding what is left for OTs. However in the next classes he brought in boat loads of OTs. There are years where Saban brought in 0 OTs and followed it up with 3 etc as well. 

57 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I mean just looking at sheer numbers how many OTs has Frost brought in since he has been here? Year 1 none simply because at that point good luck finding what is left for OTs. However in the next classes he brought in boat loads of OTs. There are years where Saban brought in 0 OTs and followed it up with 3 etc as well. 

Agreed.  If our logic is the same ... and Saban is the example ... who would one expect to be recruited in that next year where/when 3 OT come in [to build the "pipeline"]?  I'll be watching with anticipation whom Scott brings in that is the next stud OL.  It would be awesome to get two studs in the Top 100.  That seems more than possible with what he has gotten accomplished in the first three years.  I hope we are all expecting it to get better ... not worse.  If we are developing the talent it would seem that it would get better.

1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

Thank you for living in reality.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

Agreed.  If our logic is the same ... and Saban is the example ... who would one expect to be recruited in that next year where/when 3 OT come in [to build the "pipeline"]?  I'll be watching with anticipation whom Scott brings in that is the next stud OL.  It would be awesome to get two studs in the Top 100.  That seems more than possible with what he has gotten accomplished in the first three years.  I hope we are all expecting it to get better ... not worse.  If we are developing the talent it would seem that it would get better.

I would also imagine we both agree that developing the lines takes more time than the others simply based on the size and strength of the humans involved. Would you also come to the conclusion that our most likely starting 5 this year would be well above average in a couple years based on where they sit regarding eligibility? I see a very promising future on the OL and wouldnt be totally surprised if this recruiting class is lighter on the OL side simply because of the amount of youth we have built up over the last few classes in addition to the covid year. 

• Mavric changed the title to OG Ashton Craig
  • Mavric changed the title to OG Ashton Craig [Notre Dame - Signed LOI]