OG Ashton Craig [Notre Dame - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

11 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Craig commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Hmmm, wonder how we ever were known for OL ... we were growing them in Nebraska?  I don't think so.  Sure, we have had some ... like Remington.  A pipeline is built by a system ... not because of just location of the talent.  It can certainly be a mixture.  Actually, Wisky getting Nolan Rucci actually proves my point.  They attracted a 5* talent from Pennsylvania because of his belief in making him better.  So, if your premise/statement is fact ... that it is just about what is grown around us ... well, then we should just give up ... cause I don't think the state is gonna produce enough talent to be successful.  That, and, it looks like Nebraska talent doesn't want to be :bigredn: and 500 radius talent sees greener pastor elsewhere.

The good thing for us is we have had Top 25 recruiting classes with Frost.  That has been great.  He's been just "one class away" ... so, we can all be excited as certainly he is coaching up these great classes into a winning product worthy of the :bigredn: !

So, let me take it all back to my first post ... Greg of Hail Varsity was making lite of the idea that we are not in on any good OT ... but that was okay since we got one in each of the last three classes.

I don't get why anyone would be happy/content with one good OL person per year thinking that would ever be enough compete for a Natty ... especially when the big boys are adding far better and more prospects.  It appears we have more and more fans buying into a limiting belief or thinking we've arrived and can now sit and relax [that has never been a part of the Nebraska ideal ... until the last 10 years].

The largest reason Rucci went to Wisconsin is his brother being on the team there.

I'll skip the next portion of your comments because they are largely your speculation on what I believe, and largely inaccurate. 

To your last paragraph, in no way shape or form is signing one good olinemen per year is how to win a Natty. However, that currently isn't a realistic goal for the program.... so if you're current expectations, right or wrong, are to sign a high profile "Natty Caliber" team with the current state of the program you are going to be disappointed. 

Carry on, I'm looking forward to getting Craig on campus. Appears there is a concentrated effort between 3-4 prospects to find an interior/center. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I would also imagine we both agree that developing the lines takes more time than the others simply based on the size and strength of the humans involved. Would you also come to the conclusion that our most likely starting 5 this year would be well above average in a couple years based on where they sit regarding eligibility? I see a very promising future on the OL and wouldnt be totally surprised if this recruiting class is lighter on the OL side simply because of the amount of youth we have built up over the last few classes in addition to the covid year. 

Well, I wouldn't disagree with your assessment much ... I'd tone it down a point.  I'd say you are saying we are at an 8.5 to 9 out of 10 ... and I'm saying lets tone that down to a 7.5.  

After granting you your premise ... I'd say this.

I'd use the Covid year as an opportunity to try to gain on the competition that is saying, "hey, it's a Covid year, we are sitting good, we really don't need anyone [I don't think you have that attitude ... you would take a nice high 4* if he wanted :bigredn: ... there just isn't one.  But, I'm speaking again to what Greg said and a sort of "attitude" that I don't think we can afford to have.

So, my other thought is this ... we seemed to have the attitude with losing a really good WR to Kentucky and our 2nd string QB because "we could afford to".  That's fine ... I won't debate or rehash that ... we are moving forward.  But, I'm using that as an example toward the OL.  I'm simply curious as to what happens when an injury bug hits the OL ... or a guy pops into the portal that is unexpected ... then what?  Where I am at in my mind is I think the main thing that builds a team is is the OL and DL ... so for me, every year I am seeking at least one stud [since the "pipeline" type programs get a couple most every year].  Anyone can go look at those programs that are spitting out 1st round talent and see that we are not in the same area code in terms of recruiting or development yet.  Yes, as you said, perhaps in two years we will see a crop ... but who will be the coach then and who will have transferred or been injured?  Those potential obstacles and us already being behind the 8-ball have me working extra hard and on my days off.

I'll close on the positive and agreeing with you ... you gotta like what we see.  I do.  I think the better programs have more ... and so, I'm wanting more of that ... especially at the OL and DL.

Good to interact with you all.

1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

The largest reason Rucci went to Wisconsin is his brother being on the team there.

I'll skip the next portion of your comments because they are largely your speculation on what I believe, and largely inaccurate. 

To your last paragraph, in no way shape or form is signing one good olinemen per year is how to win a Natty. However, that currently isn't a realistic goal for the program.... so if you're current expectations, right or wrong, are to sign a high profile "Natty Caliber" team with the current state of the program you are going to be disappointed. 

Carry on, I'm looking forward to getting Craig on campus. Appears there is a concentrated effort between 3-4 prospects to find an interior/center. 

It does not surprise me that one would use a brother as the reason he came.  It is at best a partial reason.  It's all just silly.  They also signed Benschawel and Mahlman, both high 4 star kids.  Only one of the OT is from Wisky.  Since they do that almost every year [probably not a good idea to research this] now ... I'm just always curious why we seem to have the attitude that we are just fine.   Are we wanting to get better then Wisky so we can at least win our half of the conference anymore?  Baffling.  Have you lost your warrior mentality ... or am just bloviating and have no reason ... just "speculation"?

"Speculation" ... I didn't realize that you and others had the reality all set in stone for us.  So, what will happen next year and the following?  

I think you are being silly ... you can watch what Greg said and then read all my responses ... you will see that at a minimum a great program is signing more than one good OL each year ... that's our main problem.  That isn't enough.  The next issue we are going to find out is if we are really developing talent.  As you know, we have never been at the top of recruiting ... we were great at strength, conditioning, smart football and development.  We are now below average in game performance and getting back to perhaps average with strength.  The development and real nasty mindset is yet to be seen [as I see it].

Yes "carry on" ... but not with the recent culture/attitude we've bought into.

Here's hoping for that great OL play and dwarfing our opponents, wearing them down with 150-200 yards of RB rushing yards and controlling the clock ... and winning 8-9 games this year.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Well, I wouldn't disagree with your assessment much ... I'd tone it down a point.  I'd say you are saying we are at an 8.5 to 9 out of 10 ... and I'm saying lets tone that down to a 7.5.  

After granting you your premise ... I'd say this.

I'd use the Covid year as an opportunity to try to gain on the competition that is saying, "hey, it's a Covid year, we are sitting good, we really don't need anyone [I don't think you have that attitude ... you would take a nice high 4* if he wanted :bigredn: ... there just isn't one.  But, I'm speaking again to what Greg said and a sort of "attitude" that I don't think we can afford to have.

So, my other thought is this ... we seemed to have the attitude with losing a really good WR to Kentucky and our 2nd string QB because "we could afford to".  That's fine ... I won't debate or rehash that ... we are moving forward.  But, I'm using that as an example toward the OL.  I'm simply curious as to what happens when an injury bug hits the OL ... or a guy pops into the portal that is unexpected ... then what?  Where I am at in my mind is I think the main thing that builds a team is is the OL and DL ... so for me, every year I am seeking at least one stud [since the "pipeline" type programs get a couple most every year].  Anyone can go look at those programs that are spitting out 1st round talent and see that we are not in the same area code in terms of recruiting or development yet.  Yes, as you said, perhaps in two years we will see a crop ... but who will be the coach then and who will have transferred or been injured?  Those potential obstacles and us already being behind the 8-ball have me working extra hard and on my days off.

I'll close on the positive and agreeing with you ... you gotta like what we see.  I do.  I think the better programs have more ... and so, I'm wanting more of that ... especially at the OL and DL.

Good to interact with you all.

I think some people are not interpreting your comments correctly. One guy says "we are a pipeline of OL". You are saying "no we are not a pipeline yet".

Here is how I see it. We have done a good job recruiting OL while Frost is here. As good as could be expected from a program that has been in the dumps for 20 years. That position group is definitely trending in the right direction- perhaps trending in the direction of establishing a pipeline once again like the days of glory for Nebraska. But to say it is a pipeline already is ridiculous. We can acknowledge that OL recruiting is doing well- but it doesn't mean it is a pipeline. Alabama is an OL pipeline right now- we are not. 

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think some people are not interpreting your comments correctly. One guy says "we are a pipeline of OL". You are saying "no we are not a pipeline yet".

Here is how I see it. We have done a good job recruiting OL while Frost is here. As good as could be expected from a program that has been in the dumps for 20 years. That position group is definitely trending in the right direction- perhaps trending in the direction of establishing a pipeline once again like the days of glory for Nebraska. But to say it is a pipeline already is ridiculous. We can acknowledge that OL recruiting is doing well- but it doesn't mean it is a pipeline. Alabama is an OL pipeline right now- we are not. 

Ya, I think our minds are seeing it the same way.  Again, I was always responding initially to Greg from Hail Varsity and what I sensed was ... "we are in no OT's and that's okay ... considering how well we've done in the past".

It's a forum ... so I'm good and cool with how one is trying to "interpret" what I've said.  Of all my years on Huskerboard ... I really don't think anyone could ever accuse me of claiming any "insight" or "knowledge" toward recruiting or the game.  My words are my "feel" of what I'm sensing or getting from various folks "in the know".   I'm not bloviating or trying to speak more of my words than just my "feel" ... and probably "concern".

'nuff said.  

• 2 weeks later...

• Mavric changed the title to OG Ashton Craig
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Mavric changed the title to OG Ashton Craig [Notre Dame Commit]
  • Mavric changed the title to OG Ashton Craig [Notre Dame - Signed LOI]