Teddy Allen

After he got benched Teddy went on a 4 game tear that rivaled anything I have seen in a Nebrasketball uniform. He elevated his play and his leadership more than I ever expected he could, I knew he had more to give but was surprised when he surpassed my expectations. He will be missed but pryor to his benching I thought he wasn't good for the team and we played better without him. Wish him the best

Now we have room for Hunter....

• Haha 2

I never want to wish ill of any person, so what I say about allen is basketball related...not personal attacks.  He wasn't the right fit here stylistically.  That was evident early on.  

I think hoiberg was sort of hoping for a poor man's royce white...though he doesn't have the size and post game.  He is not that kind of player and never will be.

I am sure he can thrive in a different system & I wish him well.  But don't mistake the fact that we were and will continue to be a better basketball team without him.  We just didn't mesh styles.

• Plus1 1

Teddy Allen provided that toughness, not scared to shoot attitude that was key in some games but also hurt the ability for "team" ball to happen.

For a guy who has dealt with as many issues as he has in his life, I thought he showed great toughness/poise on the court. Rarely did you see him act up or get physical.

That being said, his style of play just isnt conducive for where Fred wants to take the team.

As mentioned above, I think he will do great things in Europe. He will stick around, get his degree and then move on with life.

Curious who is next. My guess is we see at least 2 other guys move on-- My guess is Thor(graduating) and Yvan.

• Plus1 1

Directly asked about the departure of leading scorer Teddy Allen — who left the team over the weekend, Abdelmassih didn't second guess NU's decision to sign the Boys Town graduate, although Abdelmassih was "very sad" to see Allen walk away before the season ended. 

"I think Teddy's leaving better than when he came in," Abdelmassih said. NU was Allen's fourth collegiate team; he left West Virginia and was effectively kicked off Wichita State's team for a domestic incident. Abdelmassih gave a nearly five-minute answer on Allen's signing and short career with the Huskers. 

"It's very well-chronicled both myself and Fred we've had our fair share of the so-called 'second-chance kids,' where people told us to stay completely away for various reasons, and the reason why we've had so much success is, we've tried to view them as human beings," Abdelmassih said in part. "Just because somebody screws up doesn't mean they don't deserve a second, third chance. 

"When Teddy came across my phone 14 months ago, it was intriguing for a lot of reasons, specifically because of his talent. I know he was talented. But the biggest draw for me was I take a lot of pride in helping these kids. And that's why I'm in this profession — to see these kids leave better than when they came in. I'm in this profession because it is a challenge, and I will never back away from a challenge.

"If there's the next Teddy Allen that comes across my phone, I'm still going to be interested, still going to take that challenge on, that's who I am, and I'll never go away from that, because that's what college athletics is about, is to afford these kids an opportunity to get a great education and to put them in a position athletically to reach their goals, their dreams. And that's what me and Fred have always done. When we started at Iowa State, we took our fair share, we were criticized tremendously — locally, nationally — and it worked out for a reason. And we're going to stick by that until we're done at Nebraska — the day 'til we're done together on this journey.

"With Teddy we gave everything we completely had. I love Teddy. We're very sad to see how it ended, but, at the end of the day, I'm also grateful that our paths have crossed. I'll always look back at this eight, nine months that we've been with each other, and I feel like Teddy's leaving better than when he came here. I think Teddy's learned a lot about himself and he's learned a lot about what it takes to be a professional. That is what this is all about." 

• Plus1 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • seaofred92 changed the title to Teddy Allen