SIGNED - QB Richard Torres

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

27 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Torres commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

I was really impressed with his creativity on film. If somebody could teach him to play in structure and he's able to retain some of that playmaking he could be a really good player. He doesn't seem super athletic, though, and his deep balls kind of hang up in the air for someone with such a purportedly strong arm. 

Dude looks like Mike Vick in Madden 04, where you just run back and forth until your receiver gets open and chuck it down the field. Plenty of arm talent, but can he read and react in a standard passing attack? There is a lot to be desired from the highlights/competition. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, deedsker said:

Dude looks like Mike Vick in Madden 04, where you just run back and forth until your receiver gets open and chuck it down the field. Plenty of arm talent, but can he read and react in a standard passing attack? There is a lot to be desired from the highlights/competition. 

There are enough plays in his highlights where he stands in and/or makes a read post snap that he's not as raw as his sandlot in pads highlights present imo.  A lot of this is coaching.  First, he typically drops back WAY too far out of the gun.  Second, they run a lot of deep routes w/o check downs.  If he was bypassing check downs to go full fledged Tarkington, I'd be more concerned.  Third, and I see this a lot in HS, they run so many different plays, he doesn't instinctively know where his secondary options.  

But, he has really bad habits as a result.  

• Plus1 3

On 3/5/2021 at 10:25 PM, Toe said:

Doesn't seem particularly quick, but he's a 6'6" dude - those long strides can be deceptive. No shortage of arm (the anti-McCaffrey? ;)), but it's mostly 'back way up and wait for somebody to get open' - not much in the way of quick timing throws.

He should feel real comfortable here - as most of his pass plays he's running for his life trying to escape rushing defenders!! Hopefully our line will be much improved by then.

With that said, he seems to have the ability to make things happen on the fly, to improvise and he has a good view of the field - being 6'6" helps for sure.   He made some passes that had to be on the mark while he was running. That says something about arm strength.  He may have happy feet but that may be due to having an OL that seems pretty porous. Get him behind a good line that gives him time who knows what he can accomplish. 

I wonder:  NU was the first to offer.  Does that typically build some kind of psychological loyalty with recruits?  I wonder how many recruits commit to the first team that offers?   It will be interesting to see his development during the next year. 

We have some good potential behind AM in the QB room but that is all it is right now until these young guys get some real game time snaps.  I hope Smothers can prove to be the real deal.  In the back of my mind, I hope AM makes this his last year unless he comes in this year with a BIG 10 first team performance - living up to his post Freshman expectations.  I'm ready for a game changer at the QB spot. 

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder:  NU was the first to offer.  Does that typically build some kind of psychological loyalty with recruits?  I wonder how many recruits commit to the first team that offers?  

If I had to guess, it probably matters more with 'under the radar' guys like Torres than guys who have had a spotlight on them their whole HS career.

5 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder:  NU was the first to offer.  Does that typically build some kind of psychological loyalty with recruits?  I wonder how many recruits commit to the first team that offers?   It will be interesting to see his development during the next year. 

I'm sure it varies by recruit.  But a lot of them speak about a school offering them first meaning a lot.  As @Toe said, a lot depends on who else ends up offering.

4 hours ago, Toe said:

If I had to guess, it probably matters more with 'under the radar' guys like Torres than guys who have had a spotlight on them their whole HS career.

Yes you are probably right. While some see him as a project he appears to have a lot of upside. He evades the rush well can see the whole field and arm strength is there. Plus he had shown he can throw a finesse pass

I kept on trying to think of who Torres reminded me of and with his frame and arm you just think about NFL type of guys (Josh Freeman, Josh Allen, Joe Flacco, Brock Osweiler, Jason Campbell, etc.) which isn't right since he has so much developing to do to get there. Watching his highlights again I was reminded of this video I watched about Buffalo's Tyree Jackson. His ceiling is in the NFL, it's just a matter of getting in the right situation and him being receptive to the coaching.

• Mavric changed the title to SIGNED - QB Richard Torres
  • Mavric pinned this topic