2021 Spring Notes - Special Teams

• 2 weeks later...

22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like Busch is in fact doing a lot of the special teams work even though he doesn't have that title.

Rutledge apparently didn't mesh well with the players. His style just didn't come across for whatever reason.

How much contact did he even have with them - just meetings, right?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like Busch is in fact doing a lot of the special teams work even though he doesn't have that title.

Rutledge apparently didn't mesh well with the players. His style just didn't come across for whatever reason.

Im just here hoping if we have staff movement that Frost realizes he has two analyst that are position coach upgrades already in the building....

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

While I'd like to see the ST duties handled by a coach rather than an analyst at least I have glimmer of hope they will improve with Busch involved.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure QC/Analysts coaches were allowed to participate in practices last season as a special allowance for the Covid delays.  If so, Alabama prob had what, a staff of 25?

• Fire 1
5 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/whats-an-analyst-do-on-a-college-football-staff-mizzou-staffers-talk-shop/article_8641f742-c227-5c57-9d0e-22514a089ad3.html

Good insight there from a person in an analyst role. Zero coaching on field or during games, only can talk to players in meetings/in the building during the week. 

I don't have high hopes for much improvement to our 120 something ranked special teams with only an analyst in charge, seems like an afterthought still.

• Fire 3
On 3/19/2021 at 7:47 PM, runningblind said:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/whats-an-analyst-do-on-a-college-football-staff-mizzou-staffers-talk-shop/article_8641f742-c227-5c57-9d0e-22514a089ad3.html

Good insight there from a person in an analyst role. Zero coaching on field or during games, only can talk to players in meetings/in the building during the week. 

I don't have high hopes for much improvement to our 120 something ranked special teams with only an analyst in charge, seems like an afterthought still.

Is the Indoor practice facility not a building?  I'm sure they find ways around this rule.  

3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Is the Indoor practice facility not a building?  I'm sure they find ways around this rule.  

Maybe during the week but a big issue I saw last year with this was during games when all other position coaches where busy elsewhere.  Frost mentioned a couple times he missed things like the fake punt against Illinois with only 10 on the field for the return. Can't get around stuff like that with no gameday coach assigned to ST.

Cerni and Meyer both came here established as having big legs and Culp can obviously hit fieldgoals. We should boot the ball well. Question is can we fix our crappy return and coverage teams?  I'm tired of yelling "NOOOOOO YOU IDIOT!" every time we try to return a kick. 

20 hours ago, Danimal said:

Cerni and Meyer both came here established as having big legs and Culp can obviously hit fieldgoals. We should boot the ball well. Question is can we fix our crappy return and coverage teams?  I'm tired of yelling "NOOOOOO YOU IDIOT!" every time we try to return a kick. 

Need a difference maker on returns. But if we can get the ball into the end zone on kickoffs consistently all we have to worry about is punt coverage.

^ Yep.

Outside linebackers coach Mike Dawson will coordinate special teams for Nebraska this year, coach Scott Frost announced Monday. Dawson previously coordinated special teams for Boston College for three seasons from 2009-11. 

Dawson will handle at least four of the special teams units — kickoff, kickoff return, punt and punt return. Offensive line coach Greg Austin and defensive line coach Tony Tuioti will handle field goal/extra points and field goal/extra point block.

Frost noted that Bill Busch, a new defensive analyst who most recently was an assistant at LSU, may also help with special teams.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/nebraska-assistant-mike-dawson-will-take-over-special-teams-coordinating/article_b6b014aa-90bb-11eb-8176-9346dc65a246.html

• Plus1 2