2021-22 Nebrasketball Schedule

• 4 weeks later...

I’ll be curious to see what the schedule looks like next season. So far we know:

Multi-team event* (Neutral- likely over Thanksgiving weekend)

Creighton (Home- date not set but likely will be early December)

Kansas State (Home- game is set for Dec 18)

ACC/B1G Challenge (Likely Road)

Gavitt Games*

10 B1G Home games

10 B1G Road games 

* - Not 100% for 2021-22 schedule

The Gavitt Games are scheduled to take place the next two seasons. Each B1G and Big East team are obligated to play a minimum of four games in the series- NU has played 3 so far, with no Big Ten team having yet played in 4. That means NU will likely participate in either next year’s or the following year’s games. 

You’re allowed to schedule 28 games with a 3 game MTE draw or 29 with a 2 game MTE draw for a total of 31. I’m guessing NU will want to play as many home games as possible for budgetary reasons and may even opt out of a MTE if it means they can play additional home games.

If I had to take a guess- our schedule will look something like the following:

Opening game (buy game)

Opening game (buy game)

MTE- 3 games in a neutral site

Buy game

Creighton

Buy game

Kansas State

B1G Game

B1G Game

Buy game OR start a high-major H/H 

Buy game OR start a high-major H/H

Remaining 18 B1G games

We played Wichita State in a secret scrimmage a few years ago- wonder if we’d inquire with them about a home and home series. Local opponent great fan base and they should be back in the NCAA Tournament next year too.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I can see the reasoning but I find it hard to believe they're going to pass up the paycheck.  I'm sure here and there but I'm not sure about wide-spread.

It seems a bit silly. If you have a player that is elite level at a high major, eventually he will be showcased and teams might come a calling.

If anything, I think you almost use it as a selling point-- We took a kid few believed in and then everyone came a calling.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I can see the reasoning but I find it hard to believe they're going to pass up the paycheck.  I'm sure here and there but I'm not sure about wide-spread.

I seriously doubt this is true across the board. Maybe a coach from a random team like St Bonaventure or something sent him that and he extrapolated it for clicks but that doesn’t seem like something that’s really going to happen in my opinion 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Word is we are close to finalizing a game vs. Auburn to be played in Atlanta on December 11.  That would be close to home for the McGowens.

Also, the matchup vs Creighton may be moved up to be included in the Gavitt Games.

Two very juicy nuggets although to be honest I’d be kinda annoyed by having the Creighton game be part of the Gavitt series