NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

play this game as scheduled.   if it was any other team i wouldn't care so much...but this is nebraska vs. oklahoma.   this was the game we all looked forward to every year when i was growing up.  now we have been looking forward to it for almost a decade.  move 1 of the other games if you need the money....not this one.   

• Plus1 2

If true, I just don't understand !!  I would say that yes, OU will beat us handily, and I am the one that gets hammered for being optimistic.  I would say that 99% of HB says OU will destroy Nebraska.  That is NOT the point.  Play the game.  Step on the field against anyone, regardless of potential outcome.

Wonder what the "buyout" of the contract would be?  Obviously $$$ talking here, because any AD or Coach would not suggest this on a competitive basis.

Just now, HANC said:

If true, I just don't understand !!  I would say that yes, OU will beat us handily, and I am the one that gets hammered for being optimistic.  I would say that 99% of HB says OU will destroy Nebraska.  That is NOT the point.  Play the game.  Step on the field against anyone, regardless of potential outcome.

Wonder what the "buyout" of the contract would be?  Obviously $$$ talking here, because any AD or Coach would not suggest this on a competitive basis.

I'm also normally very positive about the program.  But this...smh.

Buyout is 1 million.  Nebraska would maybe profit a couple million with the move but it's a bad look.  I agree with you.  If we schedule a weaker opponent at home, and lose, imagine the headlines.  I hate the thought of this.  

This is lame from a football standpoint but probably smart from a business standpoint. With how 2020 likely affected their revenue, they're looking for opportunities to make more money. And, if that's the case, it makes a lot of business sense given the revenue potential of just one home game with a (presumably) full stadium.

The optics of it are just kind of crappy from a PR perspective. It looks like they're ducking on a tough opponent but I'm not convinced that has much to do with anything.

Just now, Enhance said:

This is lame from a football standpoint but probably smart from a business standpoint. With how 2020 likely affected their revenue, they're looking for opportunities to make more money. And, if that's the case, it makes a lot of business sense given the revenue potential of just one home game with a (presumably) full stadium.

I think the assumption the stadium will be full is foolish.  There will be so much backlash from this, we might look like a Miami home game.

David Beckham, Miami Hurricanes meeting about soccer-football stadium -  CBSSports.com

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

It makes zero business sense in the long run.  The brand, what's left of it, can't take the image of being chickens#!t.  The impact will be felt far beyond whatever revenue is generated above the current deal.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I think the assumption the stadium will be full is foolish.  There will be so much backlash from this, we might look like a Miami home game.

David Beckham, Miami Hurricanes meeting about soccer-football stadium -  CBSSports.com

I've always wore my red proudly through thick and thin.  I'm not sure how I feel about doing that now when you duck a storied rival for a few pesos.

11 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

To the bolded, why? Because of COVID or because of overall low fan interest?