NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

18 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

Dare I say it but this will be possibly the worst decision the program has made in my lifetime. And in the last 20 years, that's not an easy bar to clear.

The financial benefits won't make up for the damage that I believe it would do to the Nebraska brand, perhaps for a generation.

I have a feeling a lot of people might walk away and not come back.

I was trying to think of a way to not sound terribly over dramatic b/c its not like I am furiously storming away from being a fan, but this is kinda the case for myself. Plenty of other things add to the falling interest for me personally beyond them stinking on the field, but things like big non conference games still get me juiced up for a Saturday built around the Huskers.

Backing out of a game that the fanbase has been looking forward to for a decade would be a huge bummer.

• Plus1 6

41 minutes ago, jaws said:

Are you guys really scared of the Michigan and Michigan St crossover games? Big names for sure, but they are currently a shell of what they used to be. 

We have no reason for confidence against anyone. If those schools are a shell of what they used to be, then we are a biodegradable paper cup.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

It makes zero business sense in the long run.

Keep in mind that this could just be an exploratory option as part of the every day cycle of an athletic department. "If we need more revenue, where can we get some?" It's unfortunate for them that the process got leaked, but this doesn't necessarily require the freak out its garnering from some people. In my line of work, we have committed a lot of time and resources to researching ideas with potentially negative outcomes or optics. Doesn't mean they weren't worth investigating.

As for the brand itself? The brand is already in a tough spot. Backing out of the OU game may result in some online poking and prodding, but say if Nebraska goes 3-9 this year with a loss to OU or 4-8 with a win against some weaker non-con opponent, do you think the brand's pendulum is going to sway much one way or the other? I do not.

• Plus1 3

Fans will hate it and opposing fanbases and media will mock us BUT this is a good decision by Moos. We already have to now play @ Illinois in the opener who we just lost to and they return lots of players as we do. New coach but this game will be a tough one. You then come back and play a Buffalo team who is no slouch either. Then you want us to go lose at Oklahoma (that's what would have happened). Possibly then 1-2 and the walls are caving in on Frost and Nebraska early. 

We already have crossover games of Michigan, Michigan St and Ohio State. FROST NEEDS DUBS. Period. People look at your record. I've seen teams schedule patsies for the past decade and no one cares - they look at your record. We aren't there yet. We need to get wins and confidence in this team. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Keep in mind that this could just be an exploratory option as part of the every day cycle of an athletic department. "If we need more revenue, where can we get some?" It's unfortunate for them that the process got leaked, but this doesn't necessarily require the freak out its garnering from some people. In my line of work, we have committed a lot of time and resources to researching ideas with potentially negative outcomes or optics. Doesn't mean they weren't worth investigating.

I'll have to disagree.  Losing games is something that obviously will go away with winning.  Running with your tail tucked between your legs is something you don't overcome easily even if (when) the program turns the corner.   The brand was always about hard-nosed football.  Of course that's in tatters now but when you consider the history of the rivalry, ducking out would be a colossal mistake.   

We'll see how this plays out but at a minimum this will be fodder on the recruiting trail.  I'm wondering what it'll do to merchandise sales.

I'm with you on the exploratory aspect.  I still can't see this happening.  

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Fans will hate it and opposing fanbases and media will mock us BUT this is a good decision by Moos. We already have to now play @ Illinois in the opener who we just lost to and they return lots of players as we do. New coach but this game will be a tough one. You then come back and play a Buffalo team who is no slouch either. Then you want us to go lose at Oklahoma (that's what would have happened). Possibly then 1-2 and the walls are caving in on Frost and Nebraska early. 

We already have crossover games of Michigan, Michigan St and Ohio State. FROST NEEDS DUBS. Period. People look at your record. I've seen teams schedule patsies for the past decade and no one cares - they look at your record. We aren't there yet. We need to get wins and confidence in this team. 

Maybe they should play Kearney, Chadron, Augustana,  and some intramural teams until some winning and fun is had.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

If we lose 2/3 of those games it shouldn’t matter anyway as Scott should be sent home by bus. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

If the state of Husker football is that bad again next year a win over Tennessee Chattanooga isn't going to save Frost.  However, you always have a punchers chance.  An upset has propelled lesser programs to the upper echelons of college football.  Bill McCartney say "hi"